Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1932 F4 on ebay

Whats the main difference in the F4's made in the early 30's and the loar era f4's?? DIfference in graduation? Neck? Sound? Anyone have any info. Looks like there is a pretty nice looking one on ebay right now.
    09 Altman F5
    20 Stiver F5
    07 Rattlesnake F5
    18 Gibson F5 Custom
    94 Flatiron Artis F5
    18 Weber Fern F5

At a glance it appears to be more like a '29 model and fairly teens/'20's oriented instead of '30's oriented

But, there is something bad wrong with the neck and neck joint area. #It almost appears like sides back and neck made for a old top. #Look at the shape of the big PH scroll in one pic and the size of the heel outside of the body in the point side pic

Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com

I've always preferred the pre-Loar F4s to the later instruments. I don't think that mandolins from the 30s were as skillfully crafted as they were when they were the bread and butter of the Gibson company. I also am not fond of trussrods; no doubt others have other opinions. Seems to me that the Loar era was about the F5, and that's where the cachet is important. The only real "advantage" of an F4 from the period would be the thinner neck, if you like that sort of thing. Obviously I don't.

I agree with Bob. Much prefer the earlier, no truss rod 4's.
    Linksmaker

That peghead is pretty wierd...I'd guess it was a hack reneck. Button looks strange too. Can't imagine Gibson doing that.

I agree with Darryl.. the peghead looks non-original (maybe a clumsy F2 "upgrade"), so does the neck joint (HUGE upside-down V shape instead of the more correct slender one).. many things look wrong actually!
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

yeah, I thought the neck joint looked a little funny
    09 Altman F5
    20 Stiver F5
    07 Rattlesnake F5
    18 Gibson F5 Custom
    94 Flatiron Artis F5
    18 Weber Fern F5

The label looks fake to me. Lots of things wrong with this one. I've not seen a top left scroll like that on anything made in the 20's.

Yep, everything looks wrong, AND, the seller has changed the description to 1922. Said it was a typing error.

To me, the top is the only part that doesn't look "fake". Hard to tell in the fuzzy pics, though.

Looks like someone had a destroyed F4, kept the top, and built a mandolin under it.
    When did the little sideways point on the fingerboard extender quit showing up? The fingerboard might be Gibson too.

I think most likely it's an f2 "upgrade".. the back burst looks wrong.. the neck heel looks wrong, the binding on the peghead is mis-shapen.. all could add up to someone taking an F2 and upgrading to an F4. When you try to bind that tiny peghead scroll you get one that looks like that from a couple others like it I've seen in the past.. The writing on the label is not standard either, normally in a flowing hand in pencil or blue fountain pen..
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

Picture/link?
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I believe Sunburst and I had it right to begin with. #The top is likely the only original piece of wood. #Probably as a result of an F4 conversion "hey, maybe I'll make a mandolin for this top" Also check the location of the truss rod, also check mismatch of "The" and "Gibson" Gibson never combined styles of patterns

Pay attention that the guy says he makes mandolins and is a luthier supply dude. #Hmm

www.f5journal.com

I agree completely. When I look at it I immediately see several things that aren't right. The peghead logo is a new, modern replica.
    The entire back and sides are repros, IMHO. I have seen a lot of them, and the wood isn't right. Old wood has different grain, and a different overal look than this one. It looks much more modern. The binding isn't right, either. It's too "square" and edgy looking, and the wrong material.
    The neck heel on a 1922 would be pointy, but not like that one. It's a completely non Gibson shape.
    This would explain why the tuners and tailpiece are both repros.
    Stay away from that one entirely.

Plus the little curl on head stock is wrong along with the angle of the slant.
    The tuners are not aligned evenly. But then again neither were Loars, right?

angle of logo slant can be correct for 1929, like this, but they have the teens flowerpot
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	90U_3055_headstock_front.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	13323  
    www.f5journal.com

I'm NOT interested in the e-bay "thingy", but you guys sure know your Gibby's! - I 'salute' and admire you for your knowledge and "contributions" - Moose

The fact that the label info is quite dark and readable is also odd. All I've ever seen were done in pencil and moderately to extremely difficult to read, yet this one looks like it was written in black ink.

Here is another: 1922 F4 on an ebay live auction, bid to $7000.

Jim

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

The flowerpot in question is not correct for a '22 or post Loar F4. It's modern repro.
    The guys here that know me, know I'm friends with Charlie, but, the new Gibsons' aren't right either. Wish they were.....

Quote Originally Posted by (f5journl @ Jan. 25 2006, 08:48)
    ...Probably as a result of an F4 conversion...
    I think you nailed it, Darryl.
    The long split in the top on the point side is consistant with damage from removing a top hastily. I bet that top was lying around somebody's shop left over from one of those "fake Loars", and somebody made a "fake F4" out of it.
    Who would have thought, when that top came off, that there would ever be a market for a fake F4?

It also looks like there might have been a bridge impact sometime. It's hard to tell, but it looks like there's a fracture around the treble bridge foot. Probably said "This one's got a ruined top anyway, let's make an F5 out of it.".

Thanks John. To be very honest, I am looking for pictures of an F4 top I sold on eb*y several years ago. It was split there too. It was from a 24 F4
    www.f5journal.com

relisted
    www.f5journal.com

...busted!!##

Now it is here, starting at $2500 and listed as a 1922.

In the meantime, the 24 F4 that was at a high of 8600 finished at, BION, $15,100! Incredible. That one did look like it was near mint, but still...

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately: