Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 1934 F5 copy

i just finished reading the "Claptons Guitar" book about Wayne henderson, seems he made his first Martin copy when he was 12 and it was pretty good, the reason - he wanted one and couldnt afford one so ...... There are a lot of skeptics here and im sure theres good reason, but ill bet everyone here has thought of building their own mando and either tried or dismissed it. I love the idea that some guy made this just because he could - and he obviously could.
    if that Gruhn quote is for real then its surprises me that people forget that once upon a time people did things with their time and hands because they got pleasure from it.
    So I guess its going to turn out to be from 1998 and all my romantic notions will be laughed at, but ill bet there are more of these things lying around.
    warren malone

2. The following members say thank you to warren for this post:

I'd say whoever did it did a pretty good job considering there was no Mando cafe to Google...lol! Considering how many early copies have been documented to date, very few must exist. As for his aesthetics, well I've seen weirder stuff done by sane folks who neither drink or do drugs. Taste is a very personal thing in all areas of life. I thought the sound was pleasant, tho not your typical "Gibson F5" sound, but hey go into any store with 10 or more F5 mandos and give em all a try...the differences are there and it seems most have some tonal qualities I find appealing.

oh one last thing Dan, don't ya hate it when ya remember the things ya should have done and it's done gone...been there done that!
    Look up (to see whats comin down)

I don't see why someone would make one in the 50's, make it look like that, and then fake the date. In the 50's they'd have more pictures/reference to be more accurate. If you were going to fake the date to make it appear more collectable I would think you'd shoot for more accuracy in the copy as well.

i go with the theory that someone (a craftsman) wanted a F5 and simply made one themselves or got a good craftsman to do it - we are talking 1934 (if you believe the date) this is the Great Depression and people are out of work - ie no money - people forget that there were A LOT of unemployed craftsmen during those years (not like our generations recession with layed off techies) and many people back then would make their own. if you read a lot of the history of the early music pioneers, you will more than not, find they started on a homemade instrument - Doc Watsons dad was a craftsman and made his first guitar - this one is good for the period, and historically interesting, though nothing more. i think some ideas DID come from the then new super 400...obviously the guy was trying to make a fancier F5 - people liked bling- bling back then too!

how much was this mandolin?
    zeek

I think it was on ebay recently, friend of a friend got it. I think it wasn't too bad, well under $5,000 if memory serves
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

Taylor Travis made a first guitar for his brother,Merle.
    Jim

Maybe in the 30's there wasn't much material to go by to build one, but what if he had one in his shop for repairs or something. Then he would have all the information he needed at his disposal. That would be my guess.
    Donald Morgan

This may deserve a new thread, but here is a 1940 D'Angelico mandolin that appears in the new Skinner Auction flyer.

This is pretty direct Gibson influence and quite an early example of the subject at hand
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dang.jpg 
Views:	394 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	15073  
    Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com

The Epiphone Windsor Special appeared as early as 1934 in their catalog.

Jim

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EPIWNDSR_full2.jpg 
Views:	394 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	15077  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Default Re: 1934 F5 copy

Well I would like to say Im the happy new owner of this mandolin. When I received it, it was a lot better then I expected. Its very well made not a piece of junk folk art. The neck is strait and after playing with the set up it plays great, nice neck and pretty good tone, great action. I own and have owned alot of old instruments ( mandolins, guitars ,banjos, violins ect.)and showed it to some other vintage music people and have no doubt its what it says it is. Its apparent its a very old instrument and the maker wasnt trying to fake a Gibson F5. Its a little longer and narrower the a F5. It wont fit in a standard F5 case as its a little to long and my other standard F5 wont fit in the Wilson case as its to narrow. Its also a little smaller then a Mandola. The case is almost as cool as the mando as it was custom made to fit it, its also very well made and also shows its age. I agree with Dan that it was probably copied from a photo because the diamentions are different then a standard F5. I researched 3 old violin makers named Joe Wilson that were alive when it was made, two were in Europe and one in Ohio USA. Over all Im happy with it and what I paid, I actually like playing more then my recent F5. Its also in great condition and so is the case. Ive taken it to some jams and let some friends play it and everyone seems to like it. I had bought it with an approval period so I could send it back if I didnt like it, but its a keeper , its really a cool mando and certainly piece of history.
    Last edited by Mr. Wilson; Jan-02-2009 at 10:39pm.

Blog Entries

Welcome to the Mandolin Cafe Mr. Wilson! Would that be Mr. Joe Wilson? Certainly a neat mandolin to have in your possession -- congratulations! Where if Ohio did the luthier Joe Wilson live? I'm in the Buckeye and might be inclined to do a little snooping around. If you get a chance or want to do it some tasty hi res. picks would be eagerly devoured on this forum I am sure.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    Welcome to the Mandolin Cafe Mr. Wilson!
    Bernie: No doubt you are aware that this is an old thread, tho the owner currently has the mandolin listed for sale in the classifieds.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Bernie: No doubt you are aware that this is an old thread, tho the owner currently has the mandolin listed for sale in the classifieds.
    Wow! I had brain fade this morning! I did a Google on Joe Wilson mandolin from the classifieds then forgot how I got to the thread -- saw January and thought hey a new owner already! NOT! Consider this my early April Fools joke!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

That is all right... I do it all the time.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Martinsville, Indiana formerly of Brown County

Sheeesh Bernie I was about to do the same thing....I remembered the thread and it being for sale some time ago....

I believe that Daryl's summation make great sense to me assuming that it is truly built in the 30's....

Interesting thing this mandolin.....it has exchanged hands a number of times over the past few years.

Blog Entries

And it's in the Classifieds right now.
    Breedlove Quartz FF with K&K Twin - Weber Big Horn - Fender FM62SCE
    Wall Hangers - 1970's Stella A and 60's Kay Kraft

Whether you slow your roll or mash on it, enjoy the ride.

Im the owner of this Mando and am selling it because Im mainly a banjo player and I need the money at the moment for a house I bought that Im fixing up. How ever I have been thinking of holding onto it and pulling the add. Many well informed people have checked it out and believe it was made in 1934. I have owned a few hundred prewar guitars, banjos, mandos ,violins and dobros in the last 40 years and I also believe it made in 1934. The guy I got it from is a well known collector and was selling 2 Gilchrist mandos ( around 15 and 20K) a prewar F5 Fern and a prewar Martin D45 (For 125K) when I bought this so the fact its changed hands a few times doesnt mean theres something wrong with it . I have taken it to festivals and jams and everyone always had good things to say about it. Joe Wilson was apparently a violin maker and the neck has a violin type profile and it has a violin varnish finish. Its well made and a great playing and sounding instrument. If I decide to keep it I will post here. I also agree with Daryl

I had some time on this mando when my friend in London owned it. As I said earlier, no reason to doubt the date inside from materials, construction etc. I was surprised that it had decent tone (check that video clip I shot earlier in the thread)
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

I should clarify my comment......I have seen instruments that are so unique that a person will buy it just to have owned it for a while and then it gets passed on to the next enthusist and on. I assume that it is the real deal......likely as good as most of the mid 30's F5's from Gibson......which ( in my limited experience with them) are good but they aren't the same as the Loars....whole different vibe going on.
    So don't take my comment as a being any more than that......there are enough of the true experts on the list that have looked at it to insure it isn't a flawed piece.........and frankly if I had the cash I'd be buying it from you.....It is just that intriguing to me.

True ts not a Loar but it does sound pretty good and has a great playing neck and is just a cool old instrument , the original case is almost as cool as the Mando.

It looks like it is back again and for sale on eBay. 1934 F5 Mandolin.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Does anyone remember the asking price when it was it was in the classifieds? There is a reserve and it hasn't topped that yet on ebay. Figure reserve will be something close to the classified asking price.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    It looks like it is back again and for sale on eBay. 1934 F5 Mandolin.
    Makes one to believe in reincarnation.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band