Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dave Peters Live at Ovations

Default Re: Dave Peters Live at Ovations

Somebody (Jordan?) discovered a grainy youtube of Dave jamming somewhere, very cool to see the man in action.

Oops, I meant to say that the other musicians are great on Fiddler's Fancy...
    Roger

Blog Entries

I just got off the phone with Randy and he said he took down his website but folks are welcome to contact him on facebook. I'll give him the link to this page so he can make an appearance if he wants.

https://www.facebook.com/randy.powell.560

Quote Originally Posted by RogerC View Post
    I can copy VHS to DVD and would be I would be happy to do so. You may be able to find The Gypsies CD if you search GEMM or Addall. Randy Powell's CD was released a few years ago and it is completely amazing. Dave's playing is fantastic and the other museums are also great. Randy had a web site at one time and you could order the disk from him, but the last time I searched I could not find the site. If anyone knows how to contact him, please post the info.
    Breedlove Quartz FF with K&K Twin - Weber Big Horn - Fender FM62SCE
    Wall Hangers - 1970's Stella A and 60's Kay Kraft

Whether you slow your roll or mash on it, enjoy the ride.

Man I have to find a way to get one of Peter's recordings. I have been listening to the cut on the Cafe MP3 page over and over, looking and working on his transcriptions from "Masters of the Mandolin", listening to Jordan's great playing and today enjoying the video of Dave at a jam...and now I want more! I would love to hear any of his recordings, and the live recording referenced in this thread would be top of my list. I sure hope there is a way for Dave's work to be back out there for us younger/newer players to listen to!

You should try to contact Randy Powell or the Lonestar Bluegrass Band. They are likely to have some of the last things that Dave recorded. It is possible to find some of his other recordings but they are pretty rare. You can find copies of the original Dixie Chicks album "Thank Heavens for Dale Evans" on eBay and Dave played on that recording. I will paste a list of recordings that I know of by Dave below, but if anyone knows of anything I missed, please post it here.

Thanks.

Roger

2006 Randy Powell - Fiddler's Fancy (recorded in 1999)
    2002 The Lonestar Bluegrass Band — 20 Year Scrapbook; includes tunes not on The Best of Times
    2002 Mary Ann Harbar — Fiddling Around the World
    2001 Kimberly M'Carver – Cross the Danger Line; one tune: Niles River Blues
    2001 Susan MacDonald - Autumn Dances; one tune, possibly the same version of Dark Eyes which appears on Art in America
    2001 Dave Peters - Art in America (1992-93 tape; re-released on CD 2001)
    1999 Winfield Winners; one tune: Dark Eyes
    1999 Todd Hallawell – Before My Time; one tune: Music for a Found Harmonium
    1999 Modern Mandolin Quartet - Inter Play
    1999 Bart Trotter - Its About Time
    1999 The Lonestar Bluegrass Band — The Best of Times (Dave also appears on several other recordings by Chris Hirsch and and Lonestar Bluegrass Band)
    1997 David Peters Quartet – LIVE AT HOUSTON, TX, (VHS & CAS Aug 13, 1997 -- listed on a Japanese web site)
    1997 Turlach Boylan – The Tidy Cottage (Heights Sound Studio, Houston, Texas); one tune: Catharsis/Reel a Louis Beaulieu
    1997 Mary Ann Harbar — Gypsy Violin
    1996 David Peters and Kelly Lancaster – DAVE & KELLY LIVE AT OVATIONS CAS March 27, 1996
    1996 Domestic Science Club — Three Women (one song: "Blue Diamond Mines")
    1994 Darwin's Law (1994)
    1994 David Peters – DAWGFINGER CD OMD1/94 (listed on a Japanese web site)
    1993 The Dixie Chicks — Shouldn't of Told You That (1993); Dave does not play on this recording, but is credited with co-authoring one song.
    1992 The Dixie Chicks — Little Ol' Cowgirl
    1992 Dave Peters - Art in America (1992-93 tape; re-released on CD 2001)
    1991 The Texas Rangers — Play the Hits (date?)
    1991 The Dixie Chicks — Thank Heavens for Dale Evans
    1990 The Texas Rangers — Nowhere to Hide (Recorded November 25-27, 1990)
    1990 The Gypsies — Gypsy Swing
    1990 James McKinney - Mind Over Banjo (1990; re-released on CD 2004); Dave played on three songs on this recording.
    1989 The Texas Rangers — (Recorded November 1989, Heights Sound Studio, Houston, Texas)
    1985 The Third Coast - Call It What You Want (recorded 1985; re-released on CD by Bob Westfall?)

Blog Entries

I'd love to hear this one. BTW, Kelly Lancaster has been battling pancreatic cancer for a little while now and doing well. and dealing with the ups and downs. He unfortunately doesn't get out much anymore and instead is reserving his strength for this fight.

I talked to him yesterday for about 1.5 hours about anything and everything after going 3 months with no word. We touched on the subject of Live @ Ovations and e really wants to get this published and out there but it didn't go much further than that. Kelly loved Dave and his playing.

Quote Originally Posted by greg_tsam View Post

I'd love to hear this one. .
    The solo that Dave plays on this tune gets me every time! It's a beautifully crafted solo that gives me the goosebumps.

In observance of Dave Peters' birthday today…I’ll send a free copy of the Live at Ovations disc to the first 5 people to send me there address via Private Message.
    Last edited by Mike Black; Aug-28-2012 at 10:21am.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Black For This Useful Post:

I've been meaning to do this as well... Here is Todd Hallawell's CD on iTunes with Dave Peters playing that incredible solo on Music for a Found Harmonium.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/to...ell/id67998848

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Black View Post
    In observance of Dave Peters' birthday today…I’ll send a free copy of the Live at Ovations disc to the first 5 people to send me there address via Private Message.
    Thanks everyone!

Happy Birthday Dave!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Black For This Useful Post:

Mike, thanks so much for kindly including me in your giveaway. I've listened to Live At Ovations about a thousand times since it showed up in the mailbox!

For anyone out there who hasn't heard this recording, I'd be glad to pay it forward by offering up the same deal: free copy to the first 5 folks to PM me their address.
    *¯`•.☽☆☾¸.•´¯*

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loess For This Useful Post:

Anyway I can somehow get a copy of this show from anyone on the Cafe? Doesn't seem to be any other possible way to obtain it!

Anyway I can somehow get a copy of this show from anyone on the Cafe? Doesn't seem to be any other possible way to obtain it!

If you send me your address, etc. I can make a copy for you. If anyone has "Plays the Hits" by Dave Peter's band "The Texas Rangers" I would like to get a copy. It was originally a cassette tape. If I could borrow a tape I can transfer it to digital and return the tape and a disk. I am not sure if Kelly played on that tape. He and Dave might not have met at that time -- probably 1991.

Blog Entries

I'm polishing up the triplets on Maydelle's Reel as we speak.

RogerC

How many Texas Rangers recordings was Dave on? I have 2. If one of those is Plays The Hits, I'll let you know.

In thinking some more about DP, he really was right at the point where he was hitting his prime. The Dawgfinger release was state-of-the-art, top-shelf playing and arranging, head and shoulders above what he had already done (which itself was great). The vibe on that release was so excellent. No telling what he would have done had he lived.

20. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post:

There were three Texas Rangers tapes. One is just called "Texas Rangers." Another one is called "Nowhere to Hide." My understanding is that there is a third tape called "Plays the Hits" but I have not heard it. If you have it, let me know and we can work out some sort of swap.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    RogerC

How many Texas Rangers recordings was Dave on? I have 2. If one of those is Plays The Hits, I'll let you know.

In thinking some more about DP, he really was right at the point where he was hitting his prime. The Dawgfinger release was state-of-the-art, top-shelf playing and arranging, head and shoulders above what he had already done (which itself was great). The vibe on that release was so excellent. No telling what he would have done had he lived.
    I agreed -- Dave was sounding great on those last recordings. He could play hot fiddle tunes but part of what made his sound so interesting was that he knew jazz and classical music as well. I also think he had a nice, fluid sounding technique. Listen to "Jerusalem Ridge" on the Lonestar Bluegrass Band's album "Best of Times." All the musicians play great on that tune and it has a nice, smooth sound.

Not sure I have this

Lonestar Bluegrass Band's album "Best of Times." Looks like I need to get it.

I have something Dave is on called Bart Trotter, maybe someone is interested in that?

Dave played on Bart Trotter's "It's About Time" disk. There is some great music on that recording. I has a 1999 date. Bart had the disks for sale on his web site at one time, but that was a few years ago.

Not sure I have this

Lonestar Bluegrass Band's album "Best of Times." Looks like I need to get it.

I have something Dave is on called Bart Trotter, maybe someone is interested in that?

Today is Dave Peter's birthday. Play a tune in his memory.

Roger

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RogerC For This Useful Post:

.... Cottonpatch Rag.....one of just many tunes David made sing.

I had the great privilege of playing many hours with Dave at Winfield. Other than Mike Marshall, I would say he's the most accomplished and well-rounded mandolinist I've ever heard. Miss you every day, Dave!

29. The following members say thank you to mcgroup53 for this post:

Old thread Resurrection!
    Came across this recently. Who are the other musicians?

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

I have recently requested from someone here any update on release of any DP music since it's been several years since anything has been heard about it.
    No response to my message so far.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”