Thread: Eastman 515 or 605

Ive been playing music all my life, and just got into mando little over a year ago. #Having played violin since 5th grade helped me make a nice transition. #Ive been playing a cheap Washburn since the beginning of my mandolin journey, and after playing some nicer mandolins, I really feel its time to upgrade. Ive been looking for something in the $700-900 range. #I was origionally eyeing a MK firefly until i started reading here more and basically discovered that Eastmans are the best thing since kraft singles.

Anywho, Im kind of in a dilemma of which way i want to go with this purchase. #Im not going to lie, I love the look of the f-style mandolins, and all the nicer mandos i have played have been f-style. #However, after pricing around
    the eastmans, these are the two im torn between:

Eastman 515 f-style: $839
    Eastman 605 A-style: $759

If they both sound nearly the same, Im willing to pay the extra bucks for the f-style. #Im just curious to the quality and tone differences between the two instruments. #If the 600 series has a noticible better tone, Ill definately go with that. #Anyone played both?

What do you guys think?

Also, the best value ive found is Gianna Violins. #Is there anywhere else there with a better price, because im a poor college student right now (im guessing there's not, but had to ask)

thanks!
    Weber Bridger
    Peterson Level 2 OM
    Gold Tone IT-250

I like the A models better, just a bit. But I can see and hear why bluegrassers generally like the F models. Another alternative is the MD505. Nice inexpensive A models. Then save up for something fancier.
    Stephen Perry

Im looking for something that will keep me happy for atleast a couple years Maybe when I graduate and I get an actual job, then i can start going after $1000+ instruments.
    Weber Bridger
    Peterson Level 2 OM
    Gold Tone IT-250

Blog Entries

The 605 will serve you very well. It has upgraded tuners from the 500 series and some nicer appointments (binding, wood flame). Plus, if you choose to buy from Steve you get the MandoVoodoo on the 605 mandolin! Pkenty of players choose the A style over the F to get more tone for their money. Check out Uncle Earl for example.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Sarge, I have the Eastman 605 #182 and I couldn't be happier with it. I bought it at a local music store, Sorry Steve, and it hasn't been voodooed by Steve but it sounds great. It is an upgrade for me also. I heard it played by someone that can acctually make it sing better that I can and I fell in love.

I got a great price on it because it had some finish blemishes on the top plate but that didn't take away fron the sound. If you're looking for great sound at a great price you can't go wrong with the 605.

Just my two cents,

Russell
    Always remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

I believe your really gonna get opinions from both sides. But I do believe it is an all-around thought though, your gonna liek an Eastman.

I have an F 515. MAS has been taken care of for a while.

John,
    Are you buying from the store or through the mail. Each mandolin plays and sounds different. I tied a couple of Eastmans, including an 805 and a 615, and a Gibson A40 and the 605 that I chose played and sounded better than the others. I preferred the looks of the attractive flamed maple on the 605 neck and back over the scroll on the 515 as well.
    If you're buying through the mail, it depends on whether you prefer a scroll to maple with a nice flame.
    Jim Yates

I think the 605 would serve you well. I play one exclusively on the road and in the studio and it became a great axe once i broke it in.
    Travers Chandler and Avery County
    www.averycountybluegrass.com

www.thebluegrassbrothers.com

All hail to the glory of Frank Wakefield, Buzz Busby and Bill Monroe

yeah, thats the thing, im going to have to order online, so im not going to be able to hear the differences between the 2 instruments ahead of time. I know i should probably go with the 605...but i just love the look of that classic stained 515. Im a sucker, I know. Which instrument would have a larger volume...or are they about the same?
    Weber Bridger
    Peterson Level 2 OM
    Gold Tone IT-250

You'll be able to hear a surprisingly amount over the telephone.

I've been very pleased with my 605A since I got it in Nov 2004. It has easily become my main mandolin, and along with my Kimble Mandocello, gets better every day. Works splendidly for everything musical from Mauchaut to Mike Marshall.

-Allen.
    Dayton Mandolin Orchestra: http://DaytonMandolin.net/
    Midwest Mandolin Quartet: http://DaytonMandolin.net/MMQ/

Hi,

I find that the A models have a bit "drier" tone, if that makes any sense. This could be said for any A versus F. Both are super quality mandos in the Eastman line. It just depends on how bad you want a scroll. I played A models for 20 years and liked 'em fine. I play the best sounding mandolin I can get on any given day, and have never been "less satisfied" with an A, or "more satisfied" with an F. One must insist on a long neck scale (obviously) for the punchiest Bluegrass tone. All Eastman F hole mandos, and most everyone else's, have the long neck scale.
    Roscoe Morgan

2000 Sim Daley signed Gibson F-5L

www.sunsethillmusic.com

Don't forget the third choice - a two point. I see a few different models on Steve's site.

I have a 804D blonde that is wonderful.
    Gibson A9
    Eastman 804D two point, blonde

Nothing is fool proof for a talented fool