Thread: 5 string baritone emando..is it possible?

Hey guys,
    i just found out that their is an instrument called the baritone violin, or a octave violin meant to be plugged in. It is the same dimentions as a normal violin, but with a few modifications, and thick strings that are an octave lower then usual. I do not know how this works, but it ends up sounding like a cello!
    This is possible because of the odd type of strings that are specifically meant for that use.
    Many famous unorthodox violin players such as Jean-Luc Ponty, play that instrument sometimes... i'm just wondering, if this is possible to do with a violin, then is it possible for a regular emando with the usual dimentions?
    dad tell me, will i be dead very long?

Baritone violins aren't necessarily plugged in ... I don't think Darol Anger plugs his in. Often a violin that built a little too heavily, or not graduated to sound good in standard tuning, will sound better with octave strings. They're just really heavy strings, like you might find on a 1/8 size cello.

Short-scale baritone mandolins are problematic ... the string tensions aren't the same as a violin, and it's difficult to achieve enough tension, even on a very thick string, to get good tone that doesn't wobble. Alex Gregory's Pentasystem Pentaula (tuned AEBF#C#, a step above an octave mandolin) is probably the best solution I've seen ... it had a specially designed headstock that allowed for extreme string angles behind the nut, which ameliorated the tension problem to a great extent.

Mandroid has one of these he's trying to sell, if you're interested...
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Yes its true, a fine instrument wasted on me , unencumbered with any gigs for it. the A4 gets out more.

baritone violin, isnt that a cello?
    as I read some violas are 14" scale and about ,like violins fractional .
    Some orchestral bass viols have a fingerboard extension down to C, out on the peghead. way up there.

18"scale baritone 5 order was the deposit perloined by mr Oates..
    as discussed in this section.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I suppose one could use a good quality multi-fx pedal set on the "octave" effect for a emando as a cheap alternative. Has anyone did that before here? how does it sound?

synthisizer access allow my 4 string mandolin to be a bass, very odd, but sounds good... not a plan to be hired as the bass player in the band. too wierd a visual.

roland GR 33 one of many of their modules. RMC makes fine pickups to use as a source, for non guitars, better than roland makes. piezos, each per string, only use as many as required,
    kCW1 does the bottom end, adding to small stereo PA.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Does a good synthesizer require any change of pickups, and require emando physical adjustments?
    So it sounds good when your emando is changed to bass? is it comparable to a normal bass guitar?

I've got a 4 string solid body, 2 pickup octave mando w/ about a 19" scale length. Here is the maker's email: blahx3@earthlink.net. I'm not good at adding pictures so you can't see it here. Email him and he'll show you his website and what he can do.

I love this little axe!!. Good luck searching.
    DTE

RMC are individual piezo pickups, that are then the bridge piece.
    one per string. since guitars are the market, they make a replacement piece to replace common electric guitar bridge parts, and install into acoustic guitars. and can be adapted to use on mandolins.
    each bridge piece has a wee signal wire to drill a hole for. routing to a common jack exiting the body, via microcircuit one or another sort of multipin connector.

each string stays separate , thru the system till the synth module sends it out as stereo , line level .

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture