Thread: Cheap tenor guitars

I was thinking about getting a cheap beater tenor guitar, to see whether that's something I can get used to. At the moment, the only one on ebay.co.uk is <a href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CARMENCITA-TENOR-GUITAR_W0QQitemZ7385866032QQcategoryZ621QQssPageNa meZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZView

Item" target="_blank">this</a> Carmencita. I can find out absolutely nothing about this make -- has anybody else here come across them? Cheap and nasty, or not? It seems that both Hofner and Bjarton used that name for their classical guitars, but in each instance the actual makers name seems to be there, too, unlike on the ebay one.

Martin

You could get a Baritone Uke and convert it into a Tenor Guitar. In fact it is already a Nylon string DGBE Guitar just get the right gauge strings (Irish Tenor Banjo should work) and tune it to GDAE. It will be easier to find and you will probably end up saving a few bucks. Gold Tone makes a Tenor Guitar and I have had good experiences with their instruments, probably some of the better Pac-Rim stuff.

Chicago - most lately but - home is in Northern Arkansas.

Martin - I'd go with the idea of a Baritone Uke if you want to experiment with a tenor guitar - cheaply. I've picked up a few used ones for as little as 5.00 USD (needed help (!!!)). On any given day, here in the US you can get them starting as low as 40.00 up to about 300.

As far as strings go, ONLY use the nylon ones as the bridge fittings and the top are very light weight and will often unload (which is why some Baritone Ukes can be had for 5.00). The little trick with the stock strings is to switch the fourth and third strings, then you can tune to CGDA. It works, sounds pretty good and you can find out if you like playing the longer scale instruments.
    Mandola fever is permanent.

Registered User Richard Singleton's Avatar

Hi, Just in my own experience, I would recommend that an inexpensive way to try a tenor guitar would be to check out the Stella by Harmony tenors that frequently pop up on ebay. They may go for $75 to $200 bucks depending on condition, but some are in pretty good shape, as I think they tended to be under utilized by previous owners. These parlor sized tenors seem to me a cut above in sound and workmanship from their cousins, the bluesy 6 strings, which also have the sprayed on tiger stripe "binding" and finish. I got a good one on ebay 2 years ago, love to play it CGDA or CGDG. The f hole archtop harmony tenors usually go for $200 to $300 and I haven't tried one. If one were to want to try GDAE stringing I suspect they would do better with one of these then the more delicate parlor flattops. I have a Stella by Harmony flattop oval hole mando to complete my cheapie but very playable trio, with the 4 and 6 string guitars. My daughter got a better digital camera for Christmas so will try to fulfill my previous promise on another post to show a group picture of "momma bear, poppa bear and baby bear". #The fun I've had with the Stella tenor unfortunately has only stoked my appetite to get a Martin tenor someday.
    Richard Singleton

Thanks for the replies. I passed on the Carmencita. Not so sure a Stella is an option for me: I'm in the UK and international postage would entirely negate the point of the exercise. I was not so much thinking of getting a handle on the larger scale as such, but rather specifically the tenor guitar: I already have a bouzouki, although I play it too little because my mandos keep me busy.

Just a passing fancy, really: I shouldn't even think of getting more instruments considering that my mando stable has increased by two this week (a Mid-Mo and an Embergher).

Martin

RE:I'm in the UK and international postage would entirely negate the point of the exercise.

Curse you, Tax Man!

Registered User steve V. johnson's Avatar

Elderly sells a nice-looking Gold Tone tenor for under $500. I've considered this one. I got a Gold Tone CCIT tenor banjo for a friend and it is just wonderful, so GT stock is up with me.

I'd like to have a tenor, but I'm not -quite- comfortable with buying an old Harmony or Stella. I dream of a tenor with a 000-size or OM body, solid (not slotted) headstock, in rosewood b/s.

I've been wondering if a Stew-Mac OM kit would do. The neck and headstock would have to be modified, cut down.

stv
    steve V. johnson

Culchies
    http://cdbaby.com/Culchies
    The Lopers
    Ghosts Like Me
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers1
    There Was A Time
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers2

The Gold Tone tenors have a good reputation from what I've read. I would argue that an 000 or OM body is probably a little big for the standard tenor scale though.

Registered User steve V. johnson's Avatar

Interesting point, Jim... I don't know the actual measurements of the Martin TGs, nor the Gibsons...

The Harmony and Stella archtops are pretty big, tho, aren't they?

Ah, I'd probably string a 000 too heavily anyway. &lt;GGG&gt;

Thanks!

stv
    steve V. johnson

Culchies
    http://cdbaby.com/Culchies
    The Lopers
    Ghosts Like Me
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers1
    There Was A Time
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers2

The Harmony I played was tiny. The Martins are small too, especially the 5s. Still cool though.