Thread: general mandolin discussion

Greetings. This is my first post after lurking and reading daily for about 6 months now. I don't know a lot about mandolins, other than I'm obsessed with them, but I have some questions about the width of the nut. The nut on a mandolin that I recently purchased is 1 and 3/16" wide. The nut on my Gibson F-9 is 1". So anyway, I have some issues with the wider nut-- the string pairs are farther apart than on my F-9, and are a bit harder to play. Is there any way to put a nut on this mandolin and have the slots filed closer together so that the pairs of strings(the two E strings, the 2 A strings etc.) are not so far apart. I'm not so sure that I'm explaining this right. How I discovered this is I teach 3rd grade and have 2 other mandolins in the classroom so my kids can play them at recess, and one of my kids is a great little guitarist and has recently bought one of those cheap Rogues, and he noticed that on the mandolin that I recently purchased--he said it's harder for him to play because the gap between the 2 E strings and A strings is bigger than the other mandolins we play on. So anyway, if anyone out there could help me out on this subject, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks..... brose

On my MM I have a similiar prob. The pairs of strings should be 4/10ths of a mm apart but my D and A are 5/10ths of a mm and the A and E are 3/10ths of a mm apart the 3 is too close to play and requires me to make a new nut. just get a new nut and notch to suit you, I guess.

Jack
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood"

Thanks Jack,
    # I was hoping that someone would say to do that, because I think that would fix several issues I have with this mandolin. # brose

"I went to Staton Island, Sharon, to buy myself a mandolin..." Joni Mitchell