Thread: Using Duco for binding ABS

I'm going to give my binding another shot this weekend, using ABS instead of the fiber binding I tried the first time. While this topic has been beat to death, I don't think there was ever a consensus view on what the best adhesive is for binding ABS to wood. Some said superglue, some said the glue that Stew-Mac sells, and some said Duco. I bought the green bottle Duco (the blue is for plastic models), and put some in a syringe that a friend at work gave me (I work for BD, *the* syringe company). He gave me several different sizes of tips to use, so I'll be able to make a pretty precise bead.

According to the instructions, I should be coating the wood surface and letting it dry before gluing the binding on. Does it sound like I'm on the right track here? Any reason I shouldn't be able to get Duco to work with ABS? Again, I know this has been talked about, but opinions were all over the map. Thanks.
    My original IV mandolin kit blog- http://makingamandolin.blogspot.com/

Thumbs up

I used the Stew-Mac "weldon-16" for my ABS binding and it worked extreamly well ;however, I didn't like the ABS binding and will most likly not use it again. #You may love it. #My binding turned out well and it was the first I had ever done. #Good Luck
    Bill Pruitt

I used Duco with the StewMac ABS binding and it seemed to work fine. I like the grained ivoroid better overall, but I didn't have any problems with the ABS.
    Mark Franzke
    Franzke String Instruments
    www.mfstrings.com

Thanks. I'd love to use celluloid binding, but right now I can't afford to order enough to make the hazmat charge worthwhile. I'm sure I'll switch to it when I can.

Do a couple tests with scrap and find out if the combination of Duco and ABS will work for you. Let it dry for 24 hours before you try to pull it apart. The main solvent in Duco is acetone, and I don't know if it is strong enough to soften the ABS. You can melt ABS with MEK but it is pretty toxic and should be kept off your skin and out of your lungs.

Good idea Mr Lewis, thanks. I just set that up a few minutes ago, and I'll check it tomorrow night. FWIW, when I called Stew-Mac today, they recommended Duco for their ABS binding.

OK, the Duco didn't work. For the sake of anyone else who finds themself in my situation in the future, Duco doesn't work with ABS binding from LMI.

Where can I buy this MEK stuff? I'd like to find some locally if I can. Is superglue worth trying at all? I figured it's probably more permanent than anything else.

I think you'll find that Weld-On 1784 works. Call around uhpolstery shops. They should have it if the bigger chains don't.

If you need to order it, LMI carries it..

Ron

My wife says I don't pay enough attention to what she says....
    (Or something like that...)

Blog Entries

Is that methyl ethyl ketone? Be suer to follow the instructions here on MEK MSDS. Those solvents make me worry about doing that work in the basement rather than the garage with good air. Darren I've been following your blog pretty closely as I get ready to lead into my IV kit. I appreciate your "open" construction.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Quote Originally Posted by (JEStanek @ Jan. 28 2006, 16:40)
    Is that methyl ethyl ketone?
    Was the question to me? if so, Weld on is tetrahydrofuran.

Ron
    My wife says I don't pay enough attention to what she says....
    (Or something like that...)

Thanks Ron and Jamie. I went to Ace Hardware and bought some stuff called Seal-All, it is clear and the main ingredient is Methyl Ethyl Ketone. I used a mask, glasses and gloves, and tried a piece on some scrap, and you can tell right away it's actually bonding with the wood vs just sticking to it. Definitely some seriously toxic stuff. Instructions say it sets quickly, in only 2-6 hours, so I'll check it tonight.

This has to be a record for the number of times I've posted in my own thread, lol. The glue with MEK in it worked awesome on my test piece. The other two I tried (including Duco) peeled off leaving the ABS totally clean and slick. When I peeled the MEK piece off, which was much more difficult to do than the others, the ABS had glue on it, and had obviously bonded like I said in my last post. This stuff really is toxic, folks. Make sure to ventilate well and wear a mask, glasses, etc.