Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Miscellaneous Musings

for those that have other stuff they've done or are working on in between the monthly tune (i.e. Benignus ) here's another option: bandwidth allowing, i'll post any other tunes you want on the Mandolin Project page. the only limitations are it must be 5MB or less in size and it must be an MP3. just upload them at Yahoo!Groups as usual.

craig

Well I responded to your invitation Craig and uploaded a small example of my playing Katy Hill. The upload seems to have worked ok.

Cool. 'Sally' really got me thinking about improving my guitar playing as far as fiddle tunes go. So, I'm cooking up a Whiskey Before Breakfast duet ... might take me a while, but it's simmering away.

cam,

ok, you're up! and . . . WOW! that's some serious flatpickin'. thanks for sharing. wish it was longer, that's all. what kind of guitar you pickin' on? if that's what you're fixin' to do on the mandolin, i can't wait.

Thanks Craig. That's my Takamine there. I wish it was longer too, but I only played the same thing twice on the recording, so I just faded it out. I tend to play tunes pretty straight ahead, I'm not used to jazzing things up and tend to concentrate more on getting the thing up to speed and playing in time. But I want to work on improvising and varying tunes more, that's the next step for me.

Ok. I'll bite....lolol...I am sending our first recording made of the first song I learned on the mando.....and only because I am backed up by my sister in law's violin and my friends bodhran though.

I do play it better now...and we use it as our opening number for our performances. Hope you like it.

Harlan

I just put up a version of Cold Frosty Morning. The song might already be on our 'to-do' list, but I recorded this back in January. It's pretty much straight out of The Fiddler's Fakebook.

Cam! I wanna flatpick like that! How'd you do that?

Benig,

I am soo very jealous...I was uploading and you had just finished uploading your Cold Frosty Morning....You have such a smooth wonderful understated style....I wish I had that...just as Cam does on his flatpicking...I am in awe of you both.

Benig...do you have a tab for that version ....would you share it if you do?

Harlan

OhmygodwhathaveIdone? #

My first John Reischman tune, "Nesser." #I'm recording directly into the built-in mic on my computer. Really lousy quality, so I employed a couple of effects from Audacity (noise removal and echo). #

This should encourage a few other beginners...

Benignus I like your light swinging touch on Cold Frosty Morning...someday I'm going to get myself a mandolin!

it's like christmas today! three new recordings in the Misc Musings category. haven't had a chance to listen, though . . .

Harlan,
    Thanks for the compliment. I learned it out of The Fiddler's Fakebook, which is in standard notation, but I'm pretty there's TAB around for it. (Co-mando, Jay Buckey's Free Stuff, ... somewhere here maybe)

Cam, Git yerself a mando!

P.S. ... This got me listening to some older recordings I have, and I found a real gem. I did this while unemployed ... dreaming of buying a mandolin. Not having a *proper* instrument yet, when I came time to record a solo, I had to make do with *whatever was sitting around the house*. (Craig, I hope you don't think I abusing your server space .. delete me at will! )

Alan (levin4now): I just love your Harvest home! I've heard it with Sam Bush or someone and it's a wonderful tune! Very good recording! I'll go listening to the others now.

MikeB: Never heard Bobby Casey before but it is SOO beautiful!!! Lovely chops too.
    I'll probably just love all of the tunes here.

I am loving the miscellaneous material. Have a feeling, a cd is forthcoming:D

Benig: you are absolutely the musician!!! Smooth unhurried just carrying the listener along. What a touch. Plus all of the extra's you load in the piece...piano, guitar licks...very nice

Alan (levin4now): Our group does Harvest Home, the fiddle plays it while I hack the guitar, but that sweet melody you laid down makes me think I have some work to do. Most ecellent playing Alan.

MikeB: You know, I am running out of superlatives but that version of Boddy Casey....I want it!!! Man that is good playing and makes my fingers itch to give it a go.

Harlan

benignus,

really like what you did with landslide. #i've always love that tune. #got even more hooked when the DC came out with their version giving it a country twist. #many times i've tried to sing it and just play the chords, but the timing in that song is just crazy!! #you did a great job with it AND you managed to add all that other stuff. #you kept it simple, but added just enough complexity/layers to make it new and make it interesting. #you should definitely be proud of that one. #now, i'm gonna go delete it because it's just too darn good to be on this beginner board . . .

. . . ahhh, just kiddin'

craig

This forum is SO good for the ego and confidence. #Nobody tells you the truth! #I love it. #Thanks, folks. #You are all very kind. #

I got Bobby Casey from AllTabs, I think. # I hated to use that echo, but my mic is so poor, it sounds like I'm playing the mandolin WITH the mic!

harlan,

never heard "over the waterfall" before! i'm definitely going to work on that (in all my free time--ha!). is that an irish tune? i'm definitely thinking we should do a poll of irish tunes one of these months. what do you think?

hey, what are the instruments in that song? there's something different in there that i can't quite figure out (hence, that's why i don't play by ear). it almost sounds like a saw or something. i'm probably completely off, right?

anyway, thanks for that one. i'm gonna go listen to it again!

craig

Thanks for your comments, Harlan and Bluegrasstej...I haven't had time to hear the new recordings out in teh last week. I was in Canada Thurs-Mon, saw the Misc. category this morning and threw that one up there. I couldn't believe I could get those triplets! Normally I screw em up, especially when there is only one set thrown into the mix. I love the sound of that song.

Anybody got any recommendations for getting the hiss out of my recordings? (Cheap PC mic, and Audacity, Fast computer (2.4Ghz), lots of RAM, Win XP Pro.)
    Alan

Craig,
    Thanks, that buzz sound is a the bodhran player....and yes it is irish. I have fallen in love with irish/celtic music over the past year and have tons o tunes I am working on for the little group I play with.

I just uploaded an instrumental version of Red is the Rose that I did about a month ago, solo without my group, and I am pretty proud that it came out, I think fairly well.

Craig, your project inspired me to go ahead and develop a website for the group I play with. I have this past week, finally gotten it up online. If anyone wants to check it out... it is My Webpage. Hope you stop by!! Stop in the my new forum and let me know what you think.

I have to say that this project has really energized me with everyone taking risks, working hard to learn, and sharing in the efforts.

Thanks
    Harlan

Oh, as Benig says, you can Red is the Rose off of the site, as I have it posted on our website and can be downloaded from there.

"Taking risks" is right, Harlan. #It's almost like putting up nekkid pictures of yourself.

I just put up a duet of Garfield's Hornpipe. #I wrote the harmony part (available in the Tab section). #It's such a weird version (but we love it), I almost laugh every time I hear it. #The harmony part is a bit tougher than the melody. #My partner plays it, and I really intended for it to go about this speed. # Some speed pickers could probably make this into a whole other tune.

Listening to some of these other tunes people are serving up sure makes me want a better recording setup #(Benig!). #Of course, it also makes me want to be a MUCH better player!

Nekkid is right or The Kings New Clothes another way of saying it Mike.

I just listened to your Garfield Hornpipe duet. Do you think you can write the harmony out in tab or notation would be better....I am looking to start playing more mandolin now that another guitar player has emerged in our group and is gaining confidence. I want to try some duet harmony stuff with our fiddle player.

That is a rightgeous recording and the harmony piece is a great fit....Love it Mike..... look forward to hearing more.

I am the only mandolin player in my neck of the woods that I know at the moment. So you guys and gals are my inspiration.

Pickin and grinnin all the way

Harlan

Harlan...ahem...
    Quote Originally Posted by
    I wrote the harmony part (available in the Tab section).
    Check the Duets in the Tablature section. #

And thank you for the kind words. #I always wonder if ANYone ever looks at those duets I wrote. #Of course, I wrote them mostly for my partner and me.

Hey, while we (Harlan and me, anyway) are on the subject of duets and harmony....Wouldn't it be fun to add a harmony part to someone else' s tune?!?

I think I could do it, even with this simple recording set-up I'm using. #The tune will have to be a fairly simple one (I ain't Mike Marshall!). #(Benignus, I think you are disqualified...anything I added to your playing would be a disaster!) #

I'd probably need tablature or notation. #I'm not that hot playing by ear. #So, if someone has a reasonably simple tune (with TAB or notation), record it, upload it to the Yahoo site, and I (and anyone else) can take a whack at playing harmony, adding the tracks together and sending the duet back to Craig at Yahoo. #

Whaddya think?

DOH ,(slaps forhead)!!! You're that MikeB!! Of course I have been to the duet section in Tab and love what you have written. We play Shebeg Shemor and that is one I want to use.

I'd be willing to give a duet exchange a try if you are willing to be patient and forgive many mistakes.

Harlan