Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Miscellaneous Musings

Roger, that was so neat! A gentle song with a touch of sadness - I liked that.

I am not really familiar with the tune, allthough I am familiar with the title, but I am not sure I´ll ever work with it on the mandolin - it seems to me to be so much a fiddle-piece. (Which I only discovered after hearing your version)

I sense you have a lot of feel involved here - beautiful

Søren / sjusk

Thanks Søren, glad you enjoyed it.

You are right that it really is a tune for the fiddle, but I would think the mandolin could bring something good to it, specially with a bit of tremolo. I would love to hear someone try it.
    Roger - fiddlegit

Sjusk!!!
    Well done! Very well done with that reel with the bodhrán! you are very talented!!!!!!!!!!

sjusk,

love the bodhran in your Anne Marie reel! is that you? i lived in ireland 1999-2004 and sure miss my irish music. thanks for taking me back. the song has great rhythm and it's nice to hear the mandolin carrying the song for a change. in the 5 years i spent in ireland, i only saw the mandolin being played once at a gig or jam session. pity.

nice work, pal.

seems like this song would lend itself to triplets thrown in hear and there, too.

i'm gonna learn this song . . .

craig

You certainly didn't live in Cork, Craig!!!! There you'll find lots of mandolins at the sessions, at least at An Spailpín Fánac.

Craig, I find myself in between Bluegrass and Celtic, but I don´t see that as a problem - via the oldtime mountain music the Celtic roots often show in Bluegrass, don´t they?
    I built my bodhrán several years ago, the shape is not exactly 100% circular (ha!) but it works. I´ve used it at a few gigs.
    I´ve been to Ireland a couple of times, and I didn´t see many mandolins there either, but I enjoyed a lot of great music. Everybody just seem to be born with an instrument in Ireland.
    Where did you live in Ireland by the way?

Susanne, I´m looking to see if Fisher´s Hornpipe should be hidden somewhere in my mandolin, and your version is a very good example to learn from and get to know the tune. It´s clean and steady, and every note rings out. I know I have to work with clarity when I fret the mando. Nice piece.

I just received new strings in the mail this morning, d´Addario J74, and I´m anxious to put them on and see how they work.

Søren / sjusk

Thanks Sjusk, I got my version from the mandolin picker's fakebook, it's a nice and simple version.
    Where in Ireland have you been? I lived in Cork 4 months in 1999, visited Killarney shortly and this fall I'm going to Ennis (will probably visit some places around too), I'm visiting the trad music festival there. I play a good deal of Celtic music as well, I just love it. After this weekend I'll start practicing more on the Irish tunes and will probably post some on the misc musings. I've finally found a recording software that I'm satisfied with.

Hej tjej.
    Looking forward to hear some of your Irish tunes in the Musings. I haven´t heard many reels and hornpipes played on the mandolin, apart from those I mess up myself. A lot of it is fiddle-music, but my philosophy is: can it be done on a fiddle, it can also be done on a mandolin.

Lucky you, going back to Ireland! I´ve been many places in Ireland, from Donegal to Kilkenny, Galway to Dublin, but never in the very South and South-West, Cork and Killarney as it is. I´ve been to Ennis a couple of times though, but not when they had their festival. I came through Newport once, and they had a festival, but honestly: it seems like they got music festivals going on all year! Just walk into a pub - and there you are. County Clare is full of musicians - Miltown Mallbay on the coast is a centre!
    I guess you´re bringing your mandolin, adding a few Swedish tones to the wild Irish shebeens? At least, pick up a few good reels and share them with us, will you?

Roger (fiddlegit), do you ever go to Ireland to pick up some inspiration, or do you also have a vivid fiddle-tradition in your part of England? I once heard a bunch of tunes from Northumberland - they were pretty need!

Søren / sjusk

Quote Originally Posted by (sjusk @ Aug. 17 2004, 16:42)
    Looking forward to hear some of your Irish tunes in the Musings. I haven´t heard many reels and hornpipes played on the mandolin, apart from those I mess up myself.
    I've been playing a lot of hornpipes and strathspeys lately and I was thinking of recording a few this weekend. If they work out ok, I'll post a medley as a musing.

Martin

Watkinsthilefan,
    Awesome medley on the SaltCreek/RedHairedBoy/BigMon!! I enjoyed listening to it flow from tune to tune, then thought "If I were to do it, on the last verse, I think I'd mix and match the A- and B- parts" and right about then...there you are doing it! Wonderful arrangement, and nice, clean tones...looking forward to future offerings from you <g>!

Happy Pickin'
    Jim

watkinsthilefan - alright!! Just listened to your Red Haired Salty Big Mon, and it brought a smile to my face. Fun listening, and you have a feeling of joy and lightness in your playing.

I'm going to go learn Big Mon today... thanks for the inspiration...

- mandomayer

I've just added a medley of hornpipes: The Ruby and Dermot Grogan's Hornpipe, both played on the bowlback. I've been meaning to record them for a couple of weeks: they make a natural medley (this time really played as one, not patched in Audacity) and Dermot Grogan's, in particular, is just so much fun to play!

Martin

Martin, you finally got around to upload some hornpipes. Great!
    You and I had a little private correspondense about it a few weeks ago, and I´ve been looking forward to hear your hornpipes. You do nice and clean notes, and you "tell the story" very decent. Going from The Ruby to Dermott Grogan works so fine, and especially Grogan turned me on. I´m going to have a look at it and see if I can do that - lovely tune, and lovely performed.
    Do upload more of that stuff, will you?

Søren

Thanks for the kind comments, Søren, much appreciated! I had an abortive go a couple of weeks ago, but didn't post it -- somehow the feeling wasn't there. I'm reasonably happy with the way that Dermot Grogan's worked out, and with the transition, which just seemed to flow naturally across. I struggled to get the right feel for The Ruby. In practice, I seem to be doing a lot better, but when you press "record" is when you realise just how often you just play on from bum note or little hang-ups that you wouldn't want on a recording. So, The Ruby starts out at a bit too plodding a pace in the A part and only starts to pick up the hornpipe bounce in the B part. Still, I thought I'd better get it out of my system.

Martin

mando4pickin,

really enjoyed your version of I'll Fly Away. you've got a clawhammer banjo feel to you playing. you've got good, clear melody and rhythm at the same time. what did you use for sheet music? or did you? it would be great if you could pass it on . . .

craig

I usually practice with backing tracks, midi files or the metronome, and have realised how much I've come to depend on it. I love to hear solo fiddle so I've been practicing playing without any accompaniment, and I've recently uploaded a couple of efforts to the Miscellaneous Musings file. Any feedback would be appreciated.
    Roger - fiddlegit