Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Miscellaneous Musings

Your welcome, Craig. #Seems like that tune should be about plastic Easter eggs, or something. #But it is what it is. #Gets me in some kind of spirit, I gotta say.

MikeB!!!!!!!! Encore!!!Encore!!! Love that Johnny Prine!!!! Bravo!!! Happy Easter!!!

Thanks Craig and MikeB for your kind comments of "That's What's The Matter", I foisted that one on our group because I just plain like the thing.....as to the rythm Craig....sorta like when asked about the dog......darned if I know, just showed up one day

Never having had great rythmic talent nor any instruction since high school oh so very many years ago, I tend to play everything polyrythmic which gets me into a lot of trouble

Happy Easter all!

Harlan

Haven't had time to listen through all of the tracks in this section yet, but I certainly will! I uploaded a tune called Cluck old hen, I found it in my mandolin picker's fakebook and realized I haven't played it for 6 years or so but it's an easy and nice tune. Just wish I had some guitar back-up on it! The final chord makes a very nice sound.

bluegrasstjej,

thanks for the "cluck old hen" MP3. that sounds like a very "do-able" version of that song. either that, or you make it sound easier. i've heard a lot of references to that fiddlers fakebook. that must be worth gettin'?

anyway, thanks again for the upload!

craig

i'm having trouble downloading 'cluckoldhen' - it tries to download an '.htm' file instead of the mp3. (I use the right-click and save as method...) Just clicking on the link is no good for me either.
    Alan

I had the same problem with it.
    Look up (to see whats comin down)

sorry about that! minor typo in the html text. should be ok now.

craig

I think this is a very simple version of the tune. I think the mandolin picker's fakebook is a great resource of tunes in different genres: bluegrass, oldtime, Irish, Scottish, Welsh, French-Canadian, etc, etc. They're all in tab and not in standard notation which I find a bit annoying, but at least the tab is easy to read and it's a great way to learn new tunes and compare versions.

bluegrasstej,

great mp3 of cluck! nice job with the tremolo at the end too!

craig - yeah it works now for me, but I think the newest addition (bostonpers) has the same problem cluck had.

I looked at the source code, but darned if I could see what is wrong. It appears identical to what you have for cluck old hen above it....(with the appropriate file names of course).
    Alan

alan,

i JUST created the link. so, you must have been clicking to download, before i had uploaded the file. try it again.

BTW, thanks for letting me know of any links that aren't working.

craig

no problem, craig. THanks always for your hard work!
    Alan

Yes, thank you again, Craig, for what I think is the coolest addition to the Cafe since Scott rebuilt the whole thing last year. # Letting us non-pros and hackers embarrass ourselves in front of one another is great medicine! #Gives you the courage to get up and do what needs to be done!

I agree with you, Mike. This project is one of the best things that have ever happened to my musicianship, or whatever you call it. It's great to hear other beginners and realize that I'm not alone, and if other beginners dare to show off their recordings, then I can do it too. Recordings is the best way to learn what I need to work on, or what I'm actually good at. It's encouraging and developing. And all the great feedback from the folks here is just wonderful.

Btw, thanks for the compliments on Cluck old hen! I'm amazed I managed to do the double stops well. Double stops have always been hard for me.

It is a most interesting and exciting addition and I have to say after Wintergrass, I wuz feeling like the worst picker on the planet...I guess there are plenty of folks around in my boat, the new problem is Im such a slow learner Im gonna need to start next months song, last month to get it up in time. I've really enjoyed everything thats been put up so far and hearing the differences between versions has helped me to realize that just about everyone puts there own "twist" to a tune.
    Look up (to see whats comin down)

mikeb,

thanks for "the ashgrove" recording! you got a mandola or mandocello in there? keep up the good work.

(hope you don't mind, but i tried it up with your "nesser" tune?)

craig

I agree with Mike and tjej. This is a great way to learn new tunes and re-visit some old favorites. Once I figure out Audacity, I think I can come up with better recordings. The program seems to be a good learning tool, and has forced me to play back up to myself, make better transitions, and work on smoothing the timing out. It forces me to listen to the leads and other back-up track and then try to make it all mesh. Subtle things that get lost in jams and even on stage. Its been frustarating at times, but mostly fun.

Take a Break! Dan
    Play em like you know em!

Thanks, Craig--all three parts were me on my Collings MF. #It is a monster! #I don't really get very good tone. #Lousy technique for one thing. #My pick sort of #"hangs up," as Benignus puts it. #I'm working on that and I'm going to try some TI strings and different picks. But, the problem ain't the mando, I'm sure of that!

Oh contraire, my friend. I was just listening to your stuff, and it all sounds so great. I am amazed at how much stuff is pouring out! (You don't want people thinking I'd bash yer playing, do ya?)

When I mentioned picks haning up, I honestly meant that in the context, 'dude, eveyone's pick hangs up!'. Mine's especially so today, so I'm gonna go back and keep playing scales.

BTW: Your Collings certainly does sound great, but you're driving that sports car just fine.

- Benig

Hey, Beningnus NEVER bashed my playing. #He gave me the best helpful criticism I ever got about that hanging pick. #No matter what he says, his pick glides like butter, as I'm sure everyone has heard. #His tone is what I strive for.

Benig, we love you for you great contributions here, musically and every other way!

Just to set the record straight.

My picks hangs up on every take that isn't a keeper. That's how it really goes.

As i said everyone's picks will do that at times, the important part is keeping the timing true while you're recovering. And that's what I what I hear in your playing. You have that part down, so everything else will follow eventually.

- Benig

plinker! - great job on ashgrove! You wouldn't have a .tef file for that would you? That is a tune I've tried to figure out. We have it in our church hymnal - it's called "Let All Things Now Living" and it has a nice descant which could be played out on the mandolin too.

llcocodrico - nice job on Ark.Trav. as well. Well done. I like that song b/c of its nice little runs.

sjshuniak - nice group of songs also. of course I especially like Boston Boy. I can't play it fast enough to make it sound like the song itself. (In other words, you woulnd't recognize what I was trying to play!)
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by (levin4now @ April 15 2004, 09:57)
    plinker! - great job on ashgrove! #You wouldn't have a .tef file for that would you? #That is a tune I've tried to figure out. #We have it in our church hymnal - it's called "Let All Things Now Living" and it has a nice descant which could be played out on the mandolin too.
    levin4now --

I play Ashgrove as well and have based my version on the sheet music in the Digital Tradition (here). I find it works well enough, even though it's slightly bare-bones and you may find that adding a few mando-specific decorations spices it up a bit.

Martin

Martin and Alan, I would love to take credit for that great version of Ashgrove, but that is credited to MikeB. #It is a nice version. #I would also very intrested in a tef.file of the piece. #Please give Mike his due and just praise!

Play em like you know em!

Thanks, plinker, but not much praise is due. #I found a midi of Ashgrove online somewhere, sorted out the various parts and learned them, one at a time. #None are difficult.

My buddy and I usually #play it as a duet, wishing we had a third mando. #So, I finally got around to recording this version. #I would have posted the tab here, but I didn't write the harmony parts. #My tab is in Melody Assistant. #I could probably get a midi together of all three parts, if someone wanted it.

Benig, #I'm doing what you advised: s l o w i n g down, loosening my grip on the pick, and then trying to get into the tune. #Oh, and the metronome, the %@$!!* metronome. #I love it. #

MikeB,

Knocked my socks off with that Ash Grove. We have played that tune at some historic fesitvals, but after hearing your version, I know we do not give it justice. I would definetly be interested in the midi. Let me know what to do and I will do it!!!!

Harlan