Thread: tascam trainer

Blog Entries

I am considering buying the Tascam CD-GT1 trainer. #It is supposed to slow down a song which allows easier understanding of what is being played, also allows change of pitch etc.

I would appreciate comments from anyone out there who has used one. #Pros/cons etc.

Pickin&Grinnin 35 years
    James A. Sanford

I have not used a Tascam CD-GT1, but I checked it out online and my opinion is that it might be somewhat useful, but that it has way too much in the way of "modeling" and it only slows down to 50% speed. This is not enough to hear and learn many mandolin parts, in my opinion. I do not believe that one needs effects in a slowdowner, but that you need to be able to slow down to 20% speed, change pitch infinitely and create loops precisely. There may be some other software that will do this, but I don't think The Amazing Slowdowner can be beat for $45.00.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

Blog Entries

Thanks JB, I looked at the software you mentioned and I believe you are exactly right. I was not aware of this program at all and did not have enough sense to search for it. LOL.

I am bidding on a used Tascam unit on Ebay and it may be too late to back out but I'll still buy this software as it is what I really was looking for.

Thanks again.

Pickin&Grinnin 35 year
    James A. Sanford

I have the Tascam after a recommendation from my teacher.

No complaints about it at all. VERY versatile. Maintains pitch, etc. Lots of options - an exceptional training tool.

AND - you don't have to sit in front of a PC to use it!

I put a couple of small computer-type speakers on mine and keep it in my office on a shelf. It's quick, easy to learn, and wonderfully useful.

I highly recommend one.

Since I own both a Tascam CD-GT1 MkII and The Amazing Slow Downer software I think I can speak to this. I bought the Tascam to use on the road when I did not have a laptop with me, but found it to be inferior to the Amazing Slow Downer. Not as versatile, and most important, the equalizer with Slow Downer allows you to isolate the mandolin in the slowed down mix, much better fidelity. Easier to hear, easier to learn with. Really there is no comparison ... buy the Slow Downer and save some $$$. I carry a laptop when I am out of town now and the Tascam sits on the shelf. I find it easier to use a laptop with phones and Slow Downer than the Tascam, plus I don't have to carry CD's, everything I want to learn is ripped to iTunes.

If you don't have a computer the Tascam is better than nothing, but really it is a POS compared to Slow Downer, to put a fine point on the comparison.

I've got both too.

However, all things being equal, I don't want a computer everywhere I go to practice.

Just makes sense to me to have something that slips in the outside pocket of my case cover, and that's it.

yup, the tascam guitar trainer works great.. and is a great battery powered cd player
    mike conroy--
    1980 Monteleone m-5 (#46)
    Collings mf-5 (#88)

For those who have and like the trainer.
    1. Did you buy the foot switch or did it come with the package?
    2. So you can add external speaker, hows the sound quality?
    3. It works ofF batteries and an electrical plug?
    4. Are there other accessories that you would recommend?
    5. Where is the best price? Elderly has them for $149.
    6. ANy additional thoughts, I am close to buying.
    Thanks,

Chuck

1) no foot switch
    2) the sound quality will be as good as the speakers you attach
    3) batteries or you can pick up a plug-in at Radio Shack
    4) just the a.c. unit and speakers. It's a training tool, not a major stereo system
    5) I think Sam Ash had them on sale for $125 at one point
    6) you'll love it. Very versatile, you can take it wherever you go, you don't have to have a computer. A very helpful tool. My teacher recommended it to me. He's a professional musician, and he has one he uses. Oddly enough, he uses it on his own CDs if he forgets how to play certain phrases!