Thread: Northern MI jams

I'm just wondering how many jams are out there in the northen Michigan area. I am aware of one in Manton at the high school on the first Saturday night of each month. There is a new one starting up in Ludington on the last Saturday night of each month. I just went to that one and had a blast. We played on stage for a while for the dancers and then I went downstairs to jam. Everyone was really nice. There are a couple of jams starting up in Traverse City too but I don't know that dates on those. Also, Gettin' Picky music store in Howard City has a jam every Saturday but I haven't been to that one. Any other jams that I'm not aware of?
    "Experience has shown that even under the best forms (of government) those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Well, first off, Traverse City is not in Northern Michigan. It's in Central Michigan. I live in Negaunee, which is actually in Northern Michigan

We Yoopers (from the U.P., aka the Upper Peninsula which is that other chunk of Michigan up past the Mackinac Bridge)have some good jams. There is a great traditional music festival in Marquette in mid-July each year (the Hiawatha Festival). We've been having a Sunday afternoon jam at Chapper's Pub on the west end of Iron Street in Negaunee for the past couple of months. There is a monthly old-time/celtic jam in Iron Mountain.

A lot of other ones are more sporadic and informal. I think the best jams are the all-nighters at my camp (what folks in lower Michigan call a "cottage") during the summer. The sauna really gets you limbered up, but don't bring your mandolin in there.
    Cheers,
    Brent

Yep. I should have said northern LOWER Michigan! I plan on going to that festival this summer, can't wait!
    "Experience has shown that even under the best forms (of government) those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny."
    -Thomas Jefferson

I read mention of upper michigan? ohhh....wisconsin jr.
    Steve In Green Bay.:D

There is a lot of great jamming at Hiawatha. There is a "quiet section" of the campground for people who cherish their sleep, and a jamming part that is going until the wee hours. Look me up when you are there. I'll probably be playing a Stiver F or upright bass. Blissfest is another great summer jam near Cross Village, and there is another get-together called Farmfest that is in the northeastern L.P., but I've never been to that one.

I didn't know Howard City has a music store. I went to high school in Rockford (class of '77), and we always stopped at the bar in HC on our drives back and forth to college at CMU. Back then, there wasn't much in HC except the bar. I always liked that spot in the road. Glad to hear it is getting civilized.
    Happy Pickin'
    Brent

Hey Mandocrust
    You need to get together with Paul Kirchner. Paul plays banjo with Cabin Fever who play mostly in the Traverse City area. Paul has numerous jams/partys and welcomes players of all levels. Paul is Bluegrass Central in that part of the state. Who do you know from the Cadillac area?
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by (Brent @ Mar. 29 2004, 21:36)
    I didn't know Howard City has a music store.
    The music store and pickin' parlor is in an old church that still has the pews and all. Surprised?

Bruce
    Jenison, near Grand Rapids, so I guess,

Southern Michigan... y'all.

Hey Brent,
    Were you at Augusta for bluegrass week last year? I remember the Stiver. I think you were there for the bass class. I was the guy from Philadelphia with the A style Silver Angel.
    John Duffey Rules " Bless Your Hearts and all Your Vital Organs"

Yes, Brent, I'll definitely look you up. I'll be playing a Weber Hyalite. I went to Bliss last summer but didn't find much in the way of jamming. I sure did enjoy Railroad Earth though.
    And Bill, I work in the same district as Kirchner. I've played with him once up at a party last Memorial Day weekend. In the Cadillac area, I know Bob Sadler and Steve Loring and have played with them a few times.
    I've only lived up here for 1 1/2 years but have enjoyed meeting and playing with new people. I play with a group from the Fife Lake area and in the past year I've learned more than I thought possible, I'm addicted. My goal now is to play as much as I can and continue learning.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Mandocrustacean, you sound fairly well conected. I play in a band with Bob Sadler, hope to run into you sometime. What style of music do you enjoy playing?
    Bill

Well, right now I really enjoy playing bluegrass but am interested in learning anything I can. I've been putting serious work into my playing for the last year but prior to that had just been strumming chords with a church group. If I can keep up my current rate of progress I'll be very happy in a few years. I hope to run into you sometime soon, I think I might have already. Were you with Bob at the teacher's conference in Sault Ste. Marie?
    -Thomas Jefferson

Hi Bill,
    Yes, that was me at Augusta. I tried to reply to the email that you sent, but couldn't figure out the Cafe's anonymous email system. Hope to see all of you southerner's soon.
    Brent

Hi Brent,
    I'm living in Arizona now so I doubt if I will make it to Augusta this year. Maybe I will look for something on the west coast that's similar. Hard to beat Augusta though.
    John Duffey Rules " Bless Your Hearts and all Your Vital Organs"

Hey Brent

Where's the Iron Mountain jam? I'm near Crystal Falls.

Oren

Contact Bob Arthur at <rearthur@UP.net>. He plays fiddle, mandolin, and guitar, and is one of the organizers. They are more into tunes than songs, with an emphasis on celtic stuff. But I think you'll hear some old-time too. They have a slow jam and an "up-to-speed" jam. Bob comes from Iron Mt. to our Sunday jams in Negaunee, and he is a super nice guy.

Hey Brent,

I contacted Bob, and he responded with the info. it sounds pretty good. Do you jam at Chapper's every Sunday? What are the times?

Thanks,

Oren