Thread: Tied notes

Does anyone know of exercises (book? online?, formula? brain surgery?) which can help me figure out how to calculate the number of notes to play when 2 notes are tied together? I cant seem to get this concept into my brain .

thanks
    Ira
    Ira

2007 Old Wave F Oval #404 (P.J. Special)
    2014 Old Wave C# F Hole (Ira Special)
    Eastwood Mandocaster

i-man,
    You add the two tied notes together. So if a quater-note is tied to a half-note, you would count 3. If you tied an 8th-note to a quarter note you would count 1.5 So you would count 1 and 2 (no and). Hope this helps.
    Tony
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

One method of getting the rhythm right when there are tied notes is to strike every note that's notated, whether tied or not, with your right hand, but not actually hit the strings on the notes that you don't want to sound. If you find you're still not getting the timing right, practice the piece ignoring the ties and then leave out the notes you shouldn't have struck once you have the right timing in your head.

Martin

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by (red7flag @ Jan. 19 2006, 09:40)
    i-man,
    You add the two tied notes together. So if a quater-note is tied to a half-note, you would count 3. If you tied an 8th-note to a quarter note you would count 1.5 So you would count 1 and 2 (no and). Hope this helps.
    Tony
    This doesn't quite work for tuplets does it (which I assume are also tied)? For instance, a triplet plays three notes in timing of two.
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

Quote Originally Posted by (red7flag @ Jan. 19 2006, 11:40)
    ...if a quater-note is tied to a half-note, you would count 3.
    But you don't always start at 1.
    If the 1/4-note is at the end of one measure and the 1/2-note is at the beginning of the next, your 3-count might be 4 1 2 rather than 1 2 3.

A good way to practice is to get a metronome and the piece of music in front of you. Then set the metronome to a good pace and clap the rhythm of the piece. I know a few drummers that learned this way and it seemed to work for them so I used it too. You really need to understand the value of each note, sometimes you get tied 16th notes or 32nd notes or notes of un equal time tied together. So I would also suggest breaking down the piece. Under the notation or tab write out [in 4/4 time: 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and 3/4 time: 1 and 2 and 3 and] for each measure or you can break it down even further. This will give you a good sense where the notes fall in the measure, especially if you are having trouble with tied notes.

Quote Originally Posted by
    For instance, a triplet plays three notes in timing of two.
    Depends on what notes your talking about. Two 8th notes, yes. A triplet is just one beat (1 and a).

I'll agree with what's already been said. Play the rhythm without the ties first. Play it a bunch of times without the ties. Then gradually try to stop picking where the ties happen to be. Vocalizing the rhythm wight help too. Put down the mando and sing/hum/speak the rhythm...again first without the tie and then with the tie.It really is easier to view ties as individual notes without any articulation between them than to try to add them up while playing. That takes extra thinking.
    -Katie

Paul Wheeler
    Greenfield, NH; formerly Jericho and St. Albans, VT

Ira, it may help you to rewrite the passage, with everything under the "tie" still tied-together in as many of the shorter notes as it takes. The result may make more sense to your eye, especially with regard to knowing just where the beat is falling; and beyond that, with interesting syncopations it may help you to sort out your pick attack, so that when things get familiar again your stroke is where you want it. -- Paul
    He joyously felt himself idling, an unreflective mood in which water was water, sky was sky, breeze was breeze. He knew it couldn't last. -- Thomas McGuane, "Nothing but Blue Skies"

Thanks to all that replied..alot of good advice.

Very appreciated!
    ira
    Ira

2007 Old Wave F Oval #404 (P.J. Special)
    2014 Old Wave C# F Hole (Ira Special)
    Eastwood Mandocaster