Thread: Thinking about a '95 Flatiron A5-Jr

I want to get back into mando playing (in addition to my D18) and my old import I bought waaaay back in the late 70s just won't cut it.

I saw a nice 1995 Flatiron A5-Jr (made in MT) in very nice shape at a dealer yesterday. Played a few others to compare against it and it had more "punch" (plus played nicely). Since I'll be playing a lot of bluegrass, sounds like that's a plus.

It's $1300 (plus tax). Just a tad higher than I wanted to go, but at my age I'm only spending my kids money anyway.

Also played a used Rigel A+ Deluxe at $1400, which was my second choice.

I think that Flatiron price is reasonable, but maybe not the lowest if I continued to look around. I'd just as soon buy something after seeing it vs. unseen.

Any comments appreciated. I'll probably spring for it tomorrow as I'm only in this area a couple of more days.

Great resource here on this board. I've been reading it the last 2 or 3 weeks since I decided to get a mando. Learned a lot. Flatirons usually seem to get a "thumbs up".

Thanks,
    Ralph
    1984 Flatiron A5Jr; Collings MT; Built an F-style kit
    HogTimeMusic.com // Songs on Bandcamp.com
    "What's Time to a Hog?"

The Flatiron A5jr's I've seen have all been under $1000, so if you want that one, you might make an offer lower than what they are asking. It can be a very good mando, but for that price, I think you can do better. There is a Flatiron Festival A in the classifieds for $895, with a trial period. You might check that out. The Cafe classifieds can be a great place to buy and sell mandos. NFI on my part.
    Fiddles
    Arches F4 / Newson F5
    Crump B1 / Old Wave GOM

HogTime...

I have 1984 Flatiron A5-JR that I recently had appraised for insurance purposes. Of the top of my head I think the Jr appraised at around $1300.00. I feel this is a very fair price for this mandolin. I have owned this instrumnet since it was new. It appears very stable and well constructed, and works great for a variety of music styles. My JR has a coffee colored finish and has tone bar bracing, Very lively sound, as loud as many custom made mandolins in today's market.
    Bill

$1,300 for a Flatiron Jr seem on the high side to me. I suppose if I owned one, I would insure it for that amount but if were looking to buy, I would not be planning on spending that much for a Jr. There are a lot of nice A style Mandolins out there today - and it's a buyers market. Flatirons are generally great Mandolins for the money, pretty consistent from instrument to instrument and more suitable for BG than a Rigel IMO.

I've bought a few Flatirons on line and they were great Mandolins. The preference is to buy in person but I would not hesitate to buy a Flatiron on line.

I just had a chance to check my records. My 84, Carlson signed, Flatiron Jr; in excellent condition, appraised at $1200.00. Let me clear about my previous post. When I stated I think this is a very fair price I was refering to my mandolin not the 95 (Webber signed?) Flatiron. Instruments signed by Carlson are ususally held in higher reguard and price.
    Bill

True, an '84 Carlson is worth more than a Weber. That said, I've played some Weber signed Flatty's that rocked on their own merits. Isn't a Weber signed A-Jr is worth more than a Festival from the same era?
    Less talk, more pick.

You might check to see if Bobby Brite sold his. He had it on in the classifieds a while back. I haven't seen him lately and do not know if it was ever sold. He's listed in the Cafe under his name.

I think Markleberry(here on the Cafe)purchased an 84 Flatty-JR this past fall. Maybe he has some info to share.
    Bill

The price does sound a little high to me. #I have a 94 Flatiron Festival that I just got last week. #I paid $695 for it. #It sounds great! It's not in perfect cosmetic condition, but structurally it is fine. #The tone is the best part. #Nice woody tone and loud. #Ralph, try making a lower offer on the A-5 Jr. #Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.

I have an 92 A5jr weber signed. I find these mandolins to match up favorably to mandolins 2 and 3 times there price.
    The wood selection is excellent. Tone and playability is extremely nice. You would most likely be very happy with an A5jr...Gary S

Quote Originally Posted by (Doug Edwards @ Jan. 17 2006, 18:01)
    You might check to see if Bobby Brite sold his. He had it on in the classifieds a while back. I haven't seen him lately and do not know if it was ever sold. He's listed in the Cafe under his name.
    I bought Bobby’s A5jr not quite a year ago when he listed it on the Café’s Classifieds. It’s an ’87 pre-Gibson, tone bar braced, signed by Dennis Behlin. When I got it, it looked as though it had been taken directly from Dennis’ hands, wrapped in velvet and tucked away in a time capsule somewhere over the past 18 years – absolutely pristine! Obviously, it hadn’t been played much at all – zero fret wear, no finish flaws or checking whatsoever, even the tailpiece sparkled like new! It sounded great right outta the box, but a year’s worth of my bangin’ on her has REALLY opened her up (that’s what’s great about tone bar braced mandos - they DO open up!). She’s now a certified banjo killer! Still looks the same, too!

I doubt I’ll EVER let her go…

The A5jr was part of Flatiron’s “Signature” series, a step above the “Performer” and “Festival” series. Paula Jean Lewis once told me that Steve Carlson often referred to the A5jr as the “best bang for the buck” in the entire Flatiron line.

Hey, Doug… if you do run into Bobby, tell him I said “hi!”

m'dude
    "Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now." -Bob Dylan

Thanks for all the input from the "crowd" here that is much more knowledgeable than me on mandos!

I think I'll "chew on it" for a while. If it's truly overpriced then it will probably be available for a while and I can order it later and have it shipped.

I'm going to Supergrass in Bakersfield, CA in a couple of weeks and might find something there. I'll also watch the classifieds here.

My other option is buy my friend's mint Breedlove Quartz KF sunburst for less money. However, I played a new one and it definitely didn't have the punch of the Flatiron A5jr.

I'll let you know what I get.

Thanks fellow pickers,
    Ralph
    1984 Flatiron A5Jr; Collings MT; Built an F-style kit
    HogTimeMusic.com // Songs on Bandcamp.com
    "What's Time to a Hog?"

Quote Originally Posted by (mandodude @ Jan. 18 2006, 08:36)
    Hey, Doug… if you do run into Bobby, tell him I said “hi!”

m'dude
    I should see Bobby Friday. His group is doing part of the open stage at our 3rd Friday show. I'll be sure to say Hi for you.

I see that the 84 Flatiron JR that was put the classified Friday AM (maybe Thurs. night) is getting some hits. Note the message from the administrator.

Looks like a nice little package for the price.

Hogtime ya there?
    Bill

The Flatiron a5jr your talking of is mine. I corrected the e-mail adress so people can again respond. It is killer mandolin and I definately thought I would keep it from now on. It is only my opinion but I liked it better bluegrass sound wise better than a Collings MT I owned for sure Im still nervous about letting it go,I have a 90 F5L that just was finished having work done at Gibson and it is going to pay for the return of my first love. Personally for the price I have it listed for in my opinon it is well worth it. Its a loud little Hoss though it needs fret work. Markelberry
    2013 Northfield Big Mon #223
    2004 Gibson A9
    1981 #1132 Flatiron 1N
    2013 Gibson F9

Dreaming of a Pomeroy F5 Blonde w Engelmann ?