Thread: Master Models at FQMS

Just wanted to share an experience I had a week or so ago. I was visiting family in Southern Indiana between Christmas and New Years and was lucky enough to get down to First Quality Music Supply in Louisville. I sat in their picking room for probably two hours playing nearly every mandolin they had and they were all great, the best to my ear probably being the Doyle Lawson but many others were great, including a new Flatiron which was blonde and appointed pretty much to the level of the F-9 I believe. But the highlight was when I went into their "vault" where they keep the high end stuff. I expected just to look and drool but was amazed when an employee came in, Mike, a very nice guy, and told me I couldn't leave till I played the couple mandos they had in there. The first thing he handed me was the DMM and I have to admit I was a little anxious playing it. It was certainly amazing though, it made me realize exactly what a mandolin can sound like. It was amazing, deep throaty, but bell like, all the adjectives thrown around the message board suddenly made sense to me. But the real highlight was the Cherry Master Model they had. It had the most incredible sound I've ever heard in a mandolin, at least one I've been lucky enough to play. Kind of depressing to know I'll never be able to afford one... #But I just wanted to thank everyone at FQMS for making one guy's year mando-wise. It was a great experience and I know if I ever have the chance I'll be doing business with them... nfi etc... blah blah blah

Phil

That Cherry Master Model is a one of a kind. It was a cool project and turned out great. It not only plays great and sounds great, it looks very, very cool!
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Is the cherry MM different finish wise or wood selection for the back, sides, ect.? I guess what I'm asking is: How is it different production wise?

Are there any pics of the Cherry Master Model?
    42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

# # # :::::::

---Ryan Stackhouse---

The Cherry MM has cherry for its back and sides. Other than that it is built just like any other master model. The finish is the same kind, just a different color....the Cherry MM is clear.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Great work to the guys at OAI too, guess I left that out in my first post, but it should have been obvious. Those Gibsons were some amazing mandolins, and yes, that cherry MM was a really, really cool looking mandolin. I loved the figure in the cherry.

Phil

Mike is the MAN! #I hope he's reading this.. .. .

He's also the pres of Bluegrass Anonymous, our local Bluegrass Association (fastest growing bg association in the world I might add). . . . and a major player in organizing the Festival that will be held in the wake of IBMA at the Galthouse in Louisville, the BOTO fest. (Banks of the Ohio Fest). #Come one come all!!!!!!!

Come one come all!

Oh and Sullivans, I hope you're reading this too and give Mike B. a raise!

2003 Gibson A5L

2012 Gibson Custom Advanced Jumbo
    2005 Gibson 'True Vintage' Original Jumbo

1920 Bacon Open Back

I agree. FQMS is a great place full of great people.

The folks at FQMS are top notch. I'm still trying to get down there and check out the Vault.

I bought my mandolin from them and have been a repeat offender several times over for mandolin related purchases.

The Cherry MM is real nice. Mike has a fine F5 as well.

WBL

Thanks for the kind words everyone! I get to see some great instruments come through the shop and hear some awesome pickers! Hope to see you at BOTOFest March 24-25, 2006 at the Galt House. Stop by FQMS while you are in town!!! Contact me anytime if you have any questions or if I can be of any assistance.