Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Michael Kelly players

Who has a Michael Kelly Mandolin out there.

Which one?

What do ya think on a 1-10 scale?

Where are ya from?

I have A MKFSHS

I give it an 8 all together and a 10 in it's price range

I am from Southwest Ohio

I have the Butterfly in rubyburst, looks just like the one on the MK PAGE. Its hard to give it a number now that I have a Gibson and a Flatiron. But in it's price range it's a 10. I live in So CA.
    Gibson A9
    Eastman 804D two point, blonde

Nothing is fool proof for a talented fool

7000 ft up in the High Sierra east of Porterville.

I have an MK Firefly Flame.
    Mine is a 10 in any price range (yeah, I've played Gibson Masters, Weber Ferns and Collings), although I understand mine might not be typical.
    My second MK will be here in about a month (oval hole) and I only hope it sounds nearly as good as my first one.
    I live in a grove of Giant Sequoia trees, 7000 ft. up in the High Sierra in The Sequoia National Monument. Talk about being off the beaten path!
    Back in the early 70s, I lived in Springboro, Ohio.
    John
    For MK bashers - Michael Lampert played my MK three weeks ago and agrees with me about its sound.

I'm a beginner in northeast Ohio and have a simple tobacco burst Legacy FS which I purchased just before MK went to dealers. I did not play any high end mandos to compare(who am I kidding), but found it superior to other entry level models and am very happy with the quality. A teacher (who owns a Gibson A) was extremely impressed by the look and sound. I would also rate it an 8 overall and a 10 for value. Enjoy!
    Give Peace a Chance

I got one of the first Mks, Butterfly walnut color with a flame back. I would give it a 10 out of 10 because I like the look and the sound.
    Also because I put a few extras on it which really brought it to life .
    After 2 years of playing it has opened up real nice. I have been playing for a long time and played a number of high end mandos over the years. I have to say my MK sounds pretty good for a $380 "F", by the way that included HSC. They cost a little bit more now but are still a good deal as far as I am concerned.
    New York state of mind.

I got an Evolution for Christmas (of course I picked it out and ordered it myself)! My other mandolins are an Oscar Schmidt OM-10 (beginner) and an old Weymann bowlback. I really like the MK although it sounds better with a new set of strings. I would have to agree with the 8 although it is still opening up and I've never played a high end mandolin. Those are hard to come by down here in the mando desert of Corpus Christi, Texas. The music stores down here don't stock more than 1 or 2 (not types but actual mandolins) at a time. The high for the number of types of strings is 3. I'm currently trying out Ernie Ball Earthwood lights and they are an improvement from the ones that came with it.
    Susan

I'm a beginner on the Mississippi Gulf Coast, and I bought a Tobacco Sunburst Legacy FS Deluxe right before Christmas. I bought a Rover a few months before as my first mandolin, and you can imagine it is a 1000% improvement. It would be unfair to rate in on a scale since it hasn't had much time to open up and I haven't played any high end mandos yet, but what the heck, I'd say it's 10 out of 10! I am attending my first jam session tomorrow with some co-workers, so I can finally test it out in a group setting. Should be fun.

Stillpicking, I am curious modifications you have made to yours? I was debating on eventually getting a new tailpiece, new strings, and possibly an ebony bridge. What upgrades will get the biggest results?

Thanks,

Jason

I have a Firefly Flame--I had a luthier put on an Allen tailpiece, hone and polich the frets, shave reset and recut the bridge and changed to a pearl nut. All of this was about $225 absolutly the best investment that I could have made. on a 1-10 mine is an 11
    crossbow

I have a Firefly Flame and live in Georgia. Been playing mandolin about a year and a half. In this price range, I'd have to give my mandolin a 10, and think it compares favorbly with mandolins I've tried that cost two or three times what I paid. I'm planning to get a Sullivan bridge and have a local luthier install it and give me a good setup, then I think I'll have a mandolin that can hold its own in most settings.

I've been playing a tobacco sunburst Legacy Deluxe for about three months. I fitted a solid non-adjustable bridge, lowered the nut action, and scraped the thick lacquer from the back of the neck. With J75 strings this mandolin plays easily and is loud enough to be heard in sessions. The neck is finished now with silky-smooth French polish. The original lacquer was giving me thumb blisters!

I bought it used on Ebay and still think it was a bargain for $400.00.

Larry

Jason,
    The modifications I have done are:
    New schaller tuners only because at the time I got my Mk there was no upgrade to the present tuners also gold is not my choice of color for hardware so I switch every thing to silver/nickel.

Pearl nut

Sullivan ebony bridge

Weber cast tailpiece nickel

Siren ebony armrest

It has TIs heavies on it for strings

I have a MK solid wood Firefly (without the extensive neck inlay) in a flame dark tobacco color. #I bought as my "traveler" before MK went to dealer sales. #In its price range it is a "10". #I doesn't have all the high-end sound quality of an expensive "high end" mandolin -- but then, let's discuss the difference in price. #For someone who is not married to the mandolin or lives on a tight budget, I consider it to be the best bang for the buck in an F model instrument. I wouldn't trade my Brentrups for one -- but I recommend them as good dollar value. (She says all of this while putting on her asbestos overcoat....)

Now Dale you play nice -- put down those tomatoes...

Elen dear, we don't throw tomatoes in Texas......we throw bisquits....

So...on a scale of 1-10 vrs mandos of any price nearly everyones MK is a 10 or 11....interesting. #

Oh, I had one to, The "Elegante"....hmmmmmm, I'd say mine was a 5........oh well, to each his own I guess.

The first time I saw a Michael Kelly mandolin was on ebay a couple of years ago. Didn't know nuthin' about em'
    The only thing that caught my eye at the time was the emblem on the head stock...."MK" One of my nephews, who plays mandolin professionally, was..."MK" So I thought it would be neat to buy him a mandolin with his initials on the head stock. I bid on several, but wound up with a black A style which I sent to him. He raved about this mandolin (which I thought at the time, was more for my generosity, than the quality of the mandolin) and couldn't stop talking about it. So began my interest and eventually the purchase of my own MK.
    I purchased a Michael Kelly Legacy Deluxe sunburst a year ago. I, like many others, was on a limited budget and couldn't afford 3k for a Weber or Gibson. My $550 MK has proven to be a valid choice for me. I rate it an 11. I've played it against Webers and Gibsons and haven't felt inferior. In fact I feel rather cocky having only spent $550 bucks and sounding 5 times better. I know, I know....I hear the groans from all the elite 3-5k mandolin owners. I've heard them before. I apparently must have been blessed by the mandolin fairy, to receive such a fine instrument!!! According to the mandolin authorities, my mandolin is a freak. So be it....I love my freakin Michael Kelly!!!!!

Glad you guys are all so happy with your Michael Kellys...

Let me then be the first to say that I wish I had purchased a different mandolin. While it looks and plays well as an F style "for the price", It neither looks nor plays as I would like it to play. I have very little experience with high end mandolins, but I find I keep digging for sounds on my MK that it just doesn't want to produce.. and I've already experienced some dramatic "opening up" of my instrument.

If I had it to do over, in my price range... well, I would have kept saving for a good A style... or waited on one of those 500$ breedloves that occasionally make the classifieds.

And lets not forget the hidden costs of buying asian. We need to get over our fear of political sensitivities. Our purchasing choices make a difference. When I'm in the market for won tons and green tea, I'll buy asian. When I want a strudel, I'll buy european. When I want a mandolin or a good beer, make it handcrafted American.
    Micah
    A bit of advice given to a young native upon initiation:
    As you go the way of life, you will come across a great chasm. Jump! It's not as far as you think.

Guilty! Firefly Flame Walnut, new for Christmas, plays and sounds fantastic, no upgrades and getting better everyday. Best deal I've had in a long time.

Lee Hill
    Lee Hill

Thought I would show a pic of my MK what do you all think ?
    Anyone have a pic of their MK?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Michael_Kelly_mandolin.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	868  

nice looking mandolin, stillpicking. #I love the neck inlay. #My legacy deluxe is just a standard looking mandolin...no frills, but I love it still the same.

Gibson A9

Hey Calkan, nothing wrong with the look on your MK !!! Nice
    Greenmando is that a Gibson "A" 9 on the top? What model MK is that below a "Butterfly"?
    Thanks

I am late to this party but will throw in my 2 cents. I've only been playing for a few months but am making good progress, going to BG jams 2-3 times per week and having a blast. After playing guitar for years, the mando has become an addiction.

I started with a Kentucky 630 but MAS set in quickly and I found myself looking for a louder, better sounding mando that would still fit within my budget. I didn't have (and still don't) 2-3K from the family budget to spend on an instrument.

I considered MM and a few others but went with a MK Legacy Classic primarily because of the radiused fingerboard. I went with the factory upgrade of an allen tailpiece and a nice vintage type case.

There was no contest between the tone, volume and incredible sustain of the MK versus the Kentucky. I ebayed it away quickly.

Most of the folks I play with have given favorable comments to the tone and volume of my MK. At a recent indoor festival weekend, several people came up and asked about it. I let them all have a ride.

It seems to like J-74's best so far. When I can find a good luthier that knows mandos I want a professional setup with a new nut and better bridge (I had to do a little filing on one of the saddles to get the intonation right).

Hey, it's not a Gibson or a Gilchrist but my standard line is "It's capable of sounding better than I can play it." MAS has not gone away. I am currently eyeing a nice Flatiron Festival A and saving my change for a future purchase. However, I am going to discipline myself to become a better player before I spend that much more more money on a mando.

All and all color me content with my MK... for now.

i have a mk fs deluxe ... tobacco... it is fine for what it is...plays easy ... sounds solid ... also have a gibson f5-g and a ratliff...
    Matthew Harris

I bought an amber colored MK Firefly Flame just before Christmas. Turns out that only two in that color were built. Got a quick reply about the limited amber from owner Tracy Hoeft when I inquired. I paid a ~$50.00 premium for the amber finish (compared to prices quoted for their standard colors by web retailers).

Visual Appeal - 10
    The amber finish is almost blonde. With the fancy binding and inlays and gold plated hardware it calls to mind the upscale look of the D'Angelico/D'Aqusito/Montolene archtop guitars. Figured maple on the back comes through loud and clear

Sound - 9
    Low end is loud and punchy. Can feel it resonate in my thoracic cavity. High end is adequate. Louder than most axes I've played. But still not a banjo or fiddle killer.

Playability - 7.5
    Radiused fretboards come with garantuan frets. I feel the urge to push down hard when fretting even though the action is set relatively low. Some buzzing on the the lower frets on the G strings

Fit/Finish - 6.5
    Despite all the cosmetic frills, you can see ripples in the lacquer finish around where the neck joins the top.

Value - 10
    Comments from all who have played it have been consistent - - it plays like a $2000 instrument.

Quote Originally Posted by (Stillpicking @ Jan. 26 2004,06:07)
    Hey Calkan, nothing wrong with the look on your MK !!! Nice
    Greenmando is that a Gibson "A" 9 on the top? What model MK is that below a "Butterfly"?
    Thanks
    You nailed it. A9 with the Butterfly
    Gibson A9

Can anyone comment on where the best to buy on MK online is?
    ~rbm