Thread: Rigel Test Drive

Ok, so for a while now I've been wanting to try out a Rigel. I really hadn't made an effort to locate one. This past Saturday I was at my local, favorite guitar shop pickin' around on my mando, and some other instruments. I did make the comment to one of the guys there that I'd really like to try a Rigel sometime. After a little while, a fellow mando player walked in to shop around. We all got to talking and he happened to mention he had bought a Rigel recently. I thought, "Cool, maybe I'll get to play it sometime." He says it's out in his car. DUDE!! Bring it in. He did.

It was a Rigel A+ Deluxe. Man, the thing is beautiful with the rounded edges and all. And the sound was a very pleasing full sound with a very surprising deep resonance. What was really fun is when we plugged it into an amp and hooked it up with a fuzz peddle. The thing rocks!

I don't know when or how, but I think there's a Rigel in my future, probably the Q95 though.

I've had an A+ Deluxe for three and half years. I agree they are a great value. IMHO, the strong points are: Clear, even tone, balanced across the fretboard, great playability, great ability to stay in tune, great pizeo system. They are not the tops in their price range for tone quality or volume, but with a good set up they are not bad, certainly better than average. An alternative to the Q95 you might think about is they have made some A+ Deluxe oval holes. I have seen them both new and used various places online in the last year. I'm sure they would be happy to do a new one special order, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by (f5dude @ Jan. 09 2006, 10:44)
    I don't know when or how, but I think there's a Rigel in my future, probably the Q95 though.
    I liked the one Q95 I played (petit bouche). Excellent choice.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I love the way the Rigels look, but have never heard one in person or played one. I especially like the old "A Natural" model in dark brown color. I would love to test-play one; wouldn't be surprised if i eventually bought one. I would have attended the "Rigel Fest" if i could have.
    Mandolins:
    Mid-mo M11 (#1855)
    Ovation MM68 (#490231)
    New flute CD:
    Wellsprings 2: Joyful!

I saw Jimmy Gaudreau is now playing a Rigel: website. (I was looking him up while reading the thread on him.) I too would like trying one out some day.

glauber... opposite of you... I love how they play, but don't care for their looks.
    different strokes.

might go for an oval one day anyway...
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!

Gaudreau has been playing Rigel for prolly 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by (otterly2k @ Jan. 09 2006, 13:59)
    glauber... opposite of you... I love how they play, but don't care for their looks.
    different strokes.

Interesting. At least, i'd think it'd be easier for them to create a customized look for you than to get a good sound.
    Mandolins:
    Mid-mo M11 (#1855)
    Ovation MM68 (#490231)
    New flute CD:

"Gaudreau has been playing Rigel for prolly 10 years."

And it seems it come up for sale every couple of months here on the cafe for the last 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by (otterly2k @ Jan. 09 2006, 14:59)
    different strokes.

How about the Jethro? They don't look like most Rigels- until you get to the headstock.

jgwoods- waiting for his Jethro to come from Rigel around Jan 25...
    Be yourself, everyone else is taken.
    Favorite Mandolin of the week: 2013 Collings MF Gloss top.

Quote Originally Posted by (Tom C @ Jan. 09 2006, 17:01)

And it seems it come up for sale every couple of months here on the cafe for the last 4 years.
    Ain't that the truth?
    Mandolins:
    Mid-mo M11 (#1855)
    Ovation MM68 (#490231)
    New flute CD:

Last year, at the NAMM show, I looked at every mandolin there, including Weber, Eastman, Breedlove and Collings. I chose Rigel, and now own 2 of them. One with F holes and one with an oval hole.

I once told my late father in law that I had made 2 really good choices in my life. Tne was marrying his daughter, and the other was buying an Acura.

Buying a Rigel was the 3rd.

My Rigel A+ Deluxe was my first "good" mandolin, purchased when I decided that playing mandolin was going to be more than a sometime thing. Since then, I admit to becoming one of the "catch and release" crowd, and many mandolins have passed through my doors, but the Rigel hangs in there.

I admire Rigel for being creative in terms of style and construction. The tone on my A+ is killer, and I really like the non-traditional look (I like Breedlove, too).

Quote Originally Posted by (glauber @ Jan. 09 2006, 23:39)
    Quote Originally Posted by (Tom C @ Jan. 09 2006, 17:01)

Ain't that the truth?
    I asked Jimmy when he played a show here recently and he said he tends to get a new Rigel every few years or so and sell off the old one, the reason being that Pete Langdell keeps making them better and better. Instead of continuing to break in an old one for better tone, he just gets a better mandolin

My Rigel Q-95 is about 6 months old now and keeps getting better and better. I may a Phoenix Neoclassical some day but I don't think the Q will ever leave home.
    Bob Higgins
    Rigel Q-95
    Mid-Mo M4, M11
    Weber Hyalite Oval

I was fortunate to be able to drop in on Rigel when I was in Vermont last summer. What a cool shop. Pete has certainly developed an innovative way to make good sounding instruments. How do they make so many mandolins in such a little place? Pete and Peter were very nice and let me play Jethro, and all his siblings. Wow! I was in mando hog heaven! I am itchin to get a Q, but fixing the car and a new well came first..........or so I was told......

I've had my A Natural for about a year. I love it. I couldn't afford it, but I'm still happy with the decision I made.
    *^_^*
    Katie