Thread: stands

ive had trouble finding a mandolin stand- one of those black metal ones that holds the neck and has two fingers around the base of the body- yall know what im talking about. anyone know wheres a good place to get a cheap one of these online? thanks
    -galen
    Ice Cold

"I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

Closet Mandolin Player Mark Walker's Avatar

gmando - I've had GREAT luck placing my Silver Angel in a Hercules mini guitar stand. #I got the model listed on the following link - which is made for bass and electric guitars. It's very portable, has a little carry bag, and folds out to perfectly hold a mandolin. #

If you hover over the images, some animations show an electric guitar in it, but it's perfect for a mandolin too. #Low and very stable for an instrument like a mando.

http://www.herculesstands.com/guitars/GS402B.html

http://www.herculesstands.com/guitars/ministands.html

"The more I learn, the more I realize how ignorant I truly am..."

The best price I found on the Hercules stand was through Amazon, oddly enough. Also great prices on big power tools.

I went to amazon, but they are currently unavailable. Are they sold out or just not in stock yet?

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

I still think this is the best stand for mandolin (or even a guitar)...

Konig & Meyer

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Konig___Meyer_Stand.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	6.2 KB 
ID:	12405  
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

The Ingles Violin Stand has a locking mechanism to keep the mandolin from being accidentally knocked off the stand, a significant plus imo. Google found it in several places for about $25.

I use the bow rest as a music stand, using a binder clip for the sheet.

I use a violin stand as well. I like the safety latch that keeps the mando locked in place when I am not around.
    Jason

Lefty JBovier F5 Tradition, Lefty Mid-Mo M1

I use the Ingles, too and like it a lot. The pluses - its sturdy, not easy to knock over, and I like it that the mando can be locked in place. The only minus - it doesn't fold up to be as small as some, but I've not found that to be an issue. I believe I even found it for less than 25, but I can't recall where. Judith
    Judith

I have been using the "Ultimate Support GS100 Genesis 100 Guitar Stand" and really like it a lot. #It's a tripod type that is very stable and folds up easily to fit into my gig bag. # It works very well for my mandolin and for my fiddle too (I can even hang the bow from the "V" extension that supports the neck). # The stand is well padded where in contacts the instrument and there is even a safety strap to prevent the instrument for being accidently knocked out. # # #

Of course this stand is designed to fit guitars and must be modified to fit the shorter scale necks. #It was pretty easy to cut the aluminum tubes to length with a hacksaw. Only had to pop the rivet (w/drill) that holds the quick release between the telescoping tubes and replace with a small set screw when putting back together. #

Can't even tell it was modified when it goes back together and I was able to cut it to a length so that when it's telescoped out it still works for my guitar. # I think it's ~ $25-$30 and the modifications took maybe 15 min. #

My first one was stolen after a gig and so I'm on my second one. #Well worth the effort for a great stand.

Sorry, Tried to add a picture of my stand but without sucess. So.....found a picture of one for sale at:
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--ULTGS100