Thread: Compton/Long Workshops

Hello all, I'm wondering what level players these workshops are geared for? I've been learning/playing for about two years now, but don't feel skilled enough to attend one of these sessions. I get together with some friends about two to three times a month now, and can do a pretty good job with chop chords, but there's only about five or six songs I feel comfortable taking a break on.
    Good Pickin', Steve

I'd say it is for all levels. Every one can gleen useful information from it. Realize that there will be no significant "breaking down" of tunes. I have been to 3 of his (Mike's)workshops. There is a lot of Q&A and thoughts on where he has gained his style and tunes etc.

my $.02

Tim
    "Well, Yes, It is true that it did have random Hippie Sanding done to it"

"It's about the journey and not the destination."

Thanks Tim, I think my $50.00 would be more useful to me and my present ability, if I would spend it on a few one on one lessons. I think Compton is a great player and an interesting person though, and I'm going to his concert in Indianapolis on the 11th.
    Good Pickin', Steve

Dood, if it's only $50, go! If nothing else, you might pick up a few things, and enough motivation from hearing a great player to last you a year!
    My original IV mandolin kit blog- http://makingamandolin.blogspot.com/

Mike gives one on one lessons for $50 pr hr. You might line up something with him while he's in town. DB
    I been through the mountians on a mule with no name.

$50 an hour?!?!
    that is a steal

im paying $22 for .5 hr
    ^dont tell me im getting ripped off, they were originally $18 for .5 hr, i really enjoy the lessons and there arent too many mandolin teachers in the north shore chicagoland area.

where does MC give these lessons?

Ah Mate!! You don't know how lucky you are! I would love to go to a workshop with Mike. I've been playing the same amount of time as you and I reckon it would be worth it even if it was above my head cause it would enlighten me to see what is above my head. Take this opportunity (spelling?) and learn whatever happens! Money shouldn't come into it as it sounds like the same cost of a night in the pub with lads and the workshop has got to better Let us know if you do decide to go and if you did, how you got on! Cheers

Mando: Weber Bitteroot

As others have said it's for all levels. Mike starts with the basics and has tons of great stories about Bill Monroe and others. Ask questions. Parts of it can go a bit fast for someone that does not pick up stuff quickly, but it's a great chance to hear how Bluegrass Monroe style mandolin should sound. I've been to two or three and would go again if it fits in my schedule.
    Scot
    Bloomington, IN
    http://www.thebloomingtones.com/ (The Bloomingtones Website)
    The Bloomingtones MySpace Site (The Bloomingtones Website)

Well guys, I didn't get to the workshop cause a friend was going to go to the concert with me. As it turned out, he had to cancel, and by the time I found out it was too late for the workshop. I'll be kickin' myself in the "Banjo" for a long time! Oh well, the concert completely blew me away! There were only about 30 people in attendance includeing the "Mando Indy" group of six. Got to meet Mike and David after the show and get autographs. I was too dazed and confused to make any kind of meaningful conversation. These guys are completely and utterly FANTASTIC! Also got to meet Will Kimble. The boys were playing some of his excellent mandolins he had brought along, and by their reactions and comments you could tell they were enjoying every minute of it. For anybody who thought about going and didn't, you sure did miss a great show! And for anyone who gets a chance to see them when their in your area, don't miss it!
    Good Pickin', Steve