Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gibson Monel Strings

Tennessee (Still Missing North Carolina Though!)

Me too, I will trade you 30 E or A strings for 30 G or D strings.....oops, I would still be in the same situation! Better than having no extra strings I guess! Better yet, let's trade 31 of them and that way we both come up short!
    If F-model mandolins have F-holes then why don't A-model mandolins have A-holes???

between the two of you...scotti and jeremy...send me just a couple of each and let me try em out!

that is if they are just sittin' around and all..

..I could do that...better yet..I will send you a new set of Bush's..pm with your addy..or if you come to SPBGMA...I will give them to ya there..

I started out with ghs phosporous bronze and went to J74's, I just ordered 6 sets of Bush Monels hoping that I get the sound a little closer to what I want. Janet Davis owes you guys commission on that sale. Thanks for the info..
    Danny

Do you guys think that the Bush sets offer more corrosion resistance than the phosphor bronzes? I have never tried these but may have to after all the recomendations.....
    I never wanted them all, Just the ones I wanted.....

Hey BenE, yes they definitely hold up to corrosion much better than phosphor bronze. That's why I originally started using them because I can corrode a set of phosphor bronze (Elixers and EXPs!) and every other brand of strings in less than one 45 minute set! The only string that I eventually corrode on the Monel set is the A and E strings because they are just plain steel strings. I never do corrode the D and G strings of the Monel set and I can leave them on my mando for 2 weeks and they still hold up. I just love them. You should try a set and see what you think, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
    If F-model mandolins have F-holes then why don't A-model mandolins have A-holes???

MandoJeremy....Thanks for the reply.
    My hands tend to sweat like crazy and I can ruin a set of strings pretty quick...I'll have to try a set of these next time around...Who has the best price these days?

The cheapest I have seen is First Quality.

..I started using them way back in the mid 80's for that very reason..less corrosive..and after a while I realized they have that dry, woody sound right out of the pack...to me thay aint on other strang...

Well fellers....I got in a dozen sets thanks to Mando Medic (man...that was some fast shipping! Thanks!)
    So far I really like them. We had a gig on Friday night so I pulled off the dead J74's on Saturday and put on the Bush's and what you guys have said is right on. They sound good right from the start. You don't get that brassy, bright tone that you have the first couple of days with the J74's. I would always change my strings a couple days before a gig so that they wouldn't be so bright and have time to break in...I guess now I don't have to worry about that anymore!

BenE or anyone else, I just put monels on instead of J74s and I'm having a hard time getting use to the A string being a 14 rather than a 16..Anyone else notice this...It's probably because I have a habit of hitting my strings harder, a habit that started with my old mando. Just looking for input..

sincerely missing my 74s,
    Danny
    Danny

..Danny...you will get used to it....I made the transition many years ago....now I wouldnt think of using anything else....

I agree with Scotti, that .014 didn't feel right at first to me but now a .016 doesn't feel right. Just be patient.