Thread: Triple stops

Hello all I was wondering if anyone could help me with triple stops. I know how to do double stops. Someone told me that you just add the next note in the scale.( For example G ,B will make g doublestop 1st 3rd 5th make a major chord) if i add the D note from the scale it don't sound right What notes do i use from the scale to make Triplestops? Is there a triple stop map some one could send me? Ive looked the mandozine website and they had doublestops maps but no triplestops I would appreciate any help!
    Charles Shimp

All "triple stop" means is playing any three notes at once on a stringed instrument. But I have never seen that term used as a priority on the mandolin and I don't know of any reference. I also find they don't really substitute for or improve on doublestops most of the time. A double stop is more an enhancement of single melody note, whereas three notes gets into "chord territory" which is rhythm, if that makes any sense. I am not pretending to talk music theory here, just the way I look at it.

There are at least two ways to think about it. The first is the way you described you did look at, adding the next chord tone (not the the next note of the scale, BTW) and making it a chord. You can also add other chord tones, like the seventh of the chord and you don't alway have to have the root involved. Sometimes it's better if you don't. But I would think of that approach as a chord, which is a rhythem element, not a "triplestop."

The other way to look at it if you don't want a chord and you want that doublestop kind of sound on three notes, try doubling one of the notes in a doublestop or going to the octave of one of the notes. So in your example, you are playing a double stop G and B, let's say on the 2nd and 3rd strings: X52X (bass to treble). You could add another G with X523. In another example, if I am doing that classic octave double stop slide, X60X sliding to X70X, I will just let the open first string ring and get X600 sliding to X700, which can sound good depending on where it's used.

I think you just have to get creative with it. Get a good doublestop fitted into a tune. Then check out some other notes you can do on adjacent strings and see if any of them add something that sounds better than the doublestop.

Distressed Model John Ritchhart's Avatar

yea its called a chord
    We few, we happy few.

Thank you mando johnny for the info!!
    Charles Shimp

I like the term 'triple stop'. Yeah, I know technically it's just a chord, but I think it plays off the nature of the mandolin, the whole 'harmonized string stop' thing, a term I do not hear applied to other fretted instrumnts.

can anyone send me some tab for tremlo down the neck?
    Charles Shimp

Quote Originally Posted by
    can anyone send me some tab for tremlo down the neck?
    Not quite sure what you mean.

The Jethro Burn's Complete Mandolin Instruction book (considered the "bible" by some mandolinists) has a whole section on triple stops practices although most of his chords are of the three fingered variety anyway.(Unfortunately he has not supplied a map as such.) Some of his advanced solos are just a string of chords. Have fun!
    You are only young once, but you can be immature forever.

one of the nice things about playing medieval/renaissance tunes on the mandolin is that two-stops (wasn't entirely sure what a stop was till i read this thread) are really all you need. i'll never hack it for bluegrass or jazz or ... etc., etc. but for simple, toe-tapping, early music ditties ... it's ok - sounds oldie-worldie.

Like the old joke about [name of college you pick on here] and their new triple threat offense - it sounds like a great idea to add that new play to the two they had before...

I have done a little of what might be called triple stops. When trying to play along with guitars using the chords I will sometimes play bar chords on the lowest three pitched strings and I play 3 forms (root on each string). I usually pick the form based on a combination of what chords I am between and how it sounds. Sometimes I find it sounds good to switch between forms when we stay on a chord for a while. This is rhythm, but the forms I use are usually picked for a melodic feel (and to keep up). But like Bill, I go medieval on those guitarists a lot. I love double stops!
    "First you master your instrument, then you master the music, then you forget about all that ... and just play"
    Charlie "Bird" Parker

I use triple stops or, rather three-note chords,
    in lead playing very sparingly - they make an awful lot
    of noise on my mando. For instance, in the Moonlight Waltz,
    I might end the bridge with bb-e-c followed by
    a-g-c# (in triplets, and behind the beat), for some
    kind of dramatic effect. I used to start the last
    8 bars with triple stops in parallell movement,
    a-f-d, ... c-a-f, but that was simply too much.
    But it's fun trying, and it will lubricate your ears
    for inner voices and voice leading.

I have butch baldasorry"s (Bad spelling i know) you can play bluegrass mandolin on tape 2 he does some tremolo down the neck he looks like he has three strings down. I can't tell what strings he is playing but would like to know because it sounds awesome!!! Thanks to all who have replyed
    Charles Shimp

Wher could i get the Jethro Burns complete mandolin book at?
    Charles Shimp

Quote Originally Posted by (CAS @ Nov. 27 2005, 21:39)
    Try Elderly Instruments

Quote Originally Posted by (Peter Hackman @ Nov. 28 2005, 00:36)
    Quote Originally Posted by (CAS @ Nov. 27 2005, 21:39)
    Try Elderly Instruments
    Complete Jethro Burns

"The Jethro Burn's Complete Mandolin Instruction book (considered the "bible" by some mandolinists) has a whole section on triple stops practices although most of his chords are of the three fingered variety anyway.(Unfortunately he has not supplied a map as such.) Some of his advanced solos are just a string of chords. Have fun!"
    Ditto!
    Great book!!!!

Speaking of Jethro books, I recall reading somewhere that a solo to Take The A Train was in one of his books. Any idea whih one?