Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyon and Healy A

Here is my new Lyon and Healy, I did have one before and swapped it for an F2 but this girl is very special.

Fretboard is wider than my old one, and feels heavier too but sounds like heavan !

Lyon and Healy standing next to an Gibson...................enjoy !

Kieron

Gorgeous! I was familiar with the beautiful front of these, but I hadn't realized what beautiful wood they were sometimes using for the backs.

Gorgeous--I'm drooling over both!
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life--music and cats" Albert Schweitzer

Blog Entries

If you could go North to China to the Eastman factory and let them copy that L&H, I sure would appreciate it. Those sure are a beautiful pair.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Let me try this....

Gibson A9
    Eastman 804D two point, blonde

Nothing is fool proof for a talented fool

Kieron, congratulations on a very desirable and beautiful long-scale Style A! What is the serial number? I have a similar one, #63.
    ~Bill~
    "Often wrong, but never in doubt."
    --Ivy Baker Priest

I would love to see a closup of that tailpiece cover on the L&H. I have only seen the later style.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Bill,
    does yours have the same tailpiece as this one? It is very simple with just a very gentle, and small press of the name Lyon and Healy. Not as fancy as the later ones.

I'd be very interested in seeing a closeup of the tailpiece as well... I've had a number of the early long scale L&Hs and I've never seen one. They must have switched to the newer style very early in production, certainly before the #100 mark if mine are any indication.

-Chris Rorrer

Kieron,
    Eastman is standing ready whenever you are!

All you will have to do is let me have that beautiful mandolin for a month or two........ ahh, it'll never happen.
    Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by (EastmanGordon @ Nov. 21 2005, 10:59)
    All you will have to do is let me have that beautiful mandolin for a month or two........ ahh, it'll never happen.
    Gordon
    Gordon:
    I would be glad to lend you my long scale L&H if you would only import some of those Eastman bowlback cases.

ahh, it'll never happen.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by (chinatogalway @ Nov. 21 2005, 03:11)
    Bill,
    does yours have the same tailpiece as this one? It is very simple with just a very gentle, and small press of the name Lyon and Healy. Not as fancy as the later ones.
    No, mine has the later t/p cover with no cutouts. Oops, wrong s/n -- this one is #682 (sorry, Chris!). An interesting detail is that the finger-rest bears two patent stamps: one reads: "PAT APL'D" and has been filled in with something black; the other, just below it in the usual position, reads: "PAT.11-12-18". This leads me to believe that L&H was using up pre-patent guards, and that this instrument may have been made shortly after the patent grant, i.e., late '18 or early '19. Hey, you L&H connoisseurs...comments?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	L_H_Pat._stamps.JPG 
Views:	222 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	11904  
    ~Bill~
    --Ivy Baker Priest

Jim,
    be careful what you wish for because it might come true. I have 20 bowlback cases being loaded into a container in the next couple of days bound for our distribution warehouse in Pomona, California. I doubt that we will have them in time for christmas but it won't be too long after. I am also informed that the Eastman bowlback mandolin is in production and we will have a couple of samples in time for the NAMM Show in January. So there....!

And you thought I was ignoring you.........

Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by (EastmanGordon @ Nov. 21 2005, 17:27)
    Jim,
    be careful what you wish for because it might come true. I have 20 bowlback cases being loaded into a container in the next couple of days bound for our distribution warehouse in Pomona, California. I doubt that we will have them in time for christmas but it won't be too long after. I am also informed that the Eastman bowlback mandolin is in production and we will have a couple of samples in time for the NAMM Show in January. So there....!

And you thought I was ignoring you.........

Gordon
    I must report back to the bowlheads... I will be right back.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Bill,

An chance of posting a pic of your Lyon and Healy,

I think there was a time when the pat applied stamp was on things and obviously when it was approved then they restamped it. I do love things like that, it adds something special to the instrument for me ! My tailpiece also has 'Pat appl'd'on it.

Interesting . . . the t-piece covers on my two L&H instruments are identical. The actual t-piece on the earlier one (s/n 39) has patent applied for stamped on it; the later (s/n 2349) is more brightly chromed, has some sort of date under the cover, but the patent stamp had not been applied.

Interesting, too, that cases are in the offing. Is there a line?

BTW, Gordon, I have a late, short-scale model A and an early long-scale model B, and I'm down the road in Silver Spring, if you're serious about this. I imagine we could do you proud with instruments to copy.

Instruments to copy? How about Calace, Vinaccia and Pecoraro/Embergher bowlbacks? (To say nothing of Ceccherini, Salsedo etc). Have your people settled on a design for your bowlbacks?

Gordon: Re: Eastman copy of Lyon and Healy A: I'll buy one. Can't wait to see the Eastman bowlbacks.
    Robert A. Margo

Quote Originally Posted by (chinatogalway @ Nov. 21 2005, 19:58)
    Bill,

Any chance of posting a pic of your Lyon and Healy,

I think there was a time when the pat applied stamp was on things and obviously when it was approved then they restamped it. I do love things like that, it adds something special to the instrument for me ! My tailpiece also has 'Pat appl'd'on it.
    Here it is...
    (This t'pc bears the "Pat. Apl'd For" stamp, as well.)

Name:	L_H_A__682_full_front__Cafe_.JPG 
Views:	259 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	11912  
    ~Bill~
    --Ivy Baker Priest

And the reverse (#682):

Name:	L_H_A__682_full_back__Cafe_.JPG 
Views:	261 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	11913  
    ~Bill~
    --Ivy Baker Priest

Blog Entries

I sure hope Gordon is serious about an Eastman bowl and maybe getting a Lyon & Healy A style copy. My money is on the barrel head for that! Not to take away from Kieron's beautiful instruments. I doubt my finances will afford the real deal (or the Rigel copy). an Eastman, I might be able to swing.

You guys know how much I love my Eastman F4 style but, I gotta admit, the pinacle of beauty to me, is the L&H style A with the violin headstock. Kieron's killing me by having both. Lucky man!

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Kieron - that tailpiece cover is exactly as on the 1916 patent drawing. Your mandolin must be a very early one - are you willing to share the serial number?

I guess yours does not have the pullout knee rest like other very early A and B styles..

I think serial numbers are best talked about and not posted, it is an early one. I haved seen the 1916 patent drawing and would love to see it. Maybe you could e-mail it to me?

It does not have a pull out leg, but I thought the leg was only made in 1918-1919, and very early and later models did not?? Is that correct??

Quote Originally Posted by (chinatogalway @ Nov. 23 2005, 19:44)
    I thought the leg was only made in 1918-1919, and very early and later models did not?? Is that correct??
    My symmetrical A has the pull-out leg but it lost its rubber end so I have not figured out how to pull it out.

Hubert (Keef) BTW is the keeper of the serial number list as well as an expert on these wonderful mandolins. You two should PM offlist so he can include yours in the list.

Speaking of which, if anyone knows of a good L&H mandocello, I have a friend who is seriously looking. Contact me offlist.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Thanks Jim - I don't consider myself an expert on these...just happen to have noted particulars and serial numbers of a large number of Washburn and LH instruments. I've only held and inspected a few carved top L&Hs.

Kieron - the knee rest was featured on all but a few of the earliest A and B mandolins between 1917 and 1923, with some exceptions - I guess that a few may have been custom ordered without it. Also a number of late 1920s instruments - among them a mandola - again have knee rests.

BTW - if anyone has a Style A mandolin from the Tonk Bros era - in which case Tonk would be listed on the label - please let me know. I have never seen one, although they were catalogued until the late 1930s.

Hubert

Default Re: Lyon and Healy A

Quote Originally Posted by chinatogalway View Post
    Here is my new Lyon and Healy, I did have one before and swapped it for an F2 but this girl is very special.

Fretboard is wider than my old one, and feels heavier too but sounds like heavan !

Lyon and Healy standing next to an Gibson...................enjoy !
    This is an ancient thread but this line caught my eye. Can one of you knowledgable cafe goers tell me if this is true: the fretboard widths varied? If so, is anyone aware, or can hypothesize, about the production process that might bring this about? It is a very interesting bit of luthier history!

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)