Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Curley Lambert

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Default Re: Curley Lambert

Thread Bump:

Soundclip of Curley Lambert singing/playing "I'll Be True To You" with The Stanley Brothers; one of my favorites, and I love the "Monroe-esque" sound/style of his mando

stanbro1956-06-03t03.mp3
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

I got to know Curley well when I was a fledgling mando player and he was playing with Chief Powhatan. He showed me some neat things and even introduced me to Sam Bush. Very nice man and a fine picker. I was honored to be a pall bearer at his funeral.
    Hughes F-5 #1
    Hughes A model #1
    1922 Gibson A-2
    1958 Gibson A-5

Dear Sarah! Thanks for posting this. You can be proud of your grandfather!!! I never met him but I met Charlie Moore in the US in 1974 and he asked me to arrange a European tour for him, which I did in 1974 and 1979 - as a medical student, because I loved his music. he asked me to play lead guitar with him on the tour and I did. It was a great experience. The second time in 1979 he had planned to bring Curly with him but Charlie told me he had Fallen and injured himself so he couldn't make the trip. Would you have any photographs or live footage in the family of Charlie and Curly performing or jamming???? I have set up a Facebook page for Charlie so that people won't forget his great music and of course that of your grandfather and I am hoping fans and people who have know him might contribute to the page. https://www.facebook.com/CharlieMooreBluegrass Also I am in contact with Charlie's daughter Lisa and through her with patti. Very nice people. best wishes to you and your family and thank you!

Dear Dan! I have heard about you through the great Charlie Moore. Would you like to contribute to the FB page I have set up to help perserve the memory and great music of Charlie Moore whom I met and played guitar with in 1976 and 1979 during 2 European tours he had asked me to organise for him. I met him in Corinth NY during the Smokey Green Bluegrass festival.
    I would also be very much interested in your book about your musical carreer. How can I buy that? Many thanks and best wishes

Dennis Schut, Brussels, Europe https://www.facebook.com/CharlieMooreBluegrass

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Rebecca Adams View Post
    He did play with Charlie Moore. My Nanny and Granddaddy actually raised Charlie's daughter Patty who I consider my aunt. As for the type of mandolins he played a Martin. He played with Stanley Brothers, Charlie Moore, Chief Powhatan, and the Goings Brothers out of Kentucky, He played with Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs at the Grand Ole Opry. He played with a lot of gospel groups that used him for a side man including the Lewis Family. He was also playing a Gibson mandolin when he passed away. My uncle Wayne has that one in his house!
    ...suspect the post above means he played a "Martin" guitar, not mandolin,...feel certain he played a Gibson mandolin !,...remember Curley did the guitar work on lots of Stanley Bros. stuff,...like that great
    run in GOD GAVE YOU TO ME !

The Bluegrass Evergreen album, Lambert with the Goins Brothers, is on YouTube:

Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

7. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post: