Thread: HOG SOL on SGW

Default HOG SOL on SGW

I hope that title got you. MC is the one place where the Strad-O-Lin gets love so I must post this link - https://shopgoodwill.com/item/192246327 The folks at Goodwill must be members of Mandolin Cafe because bidding for this mahogany SOL starts at $80 while a Rogue usually starts around ten bucks. Looks like Annie took good care of her mandolin. I won't be bidding because I prefer spruce tops and maple backs. Annie may have swapped out the bridge at some point. It will be interesting to see how it sells.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	847caede-0376-4c12-a6ed-20758fad3084iago_02261.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	212343   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1e18ccf4-190b-4d2a-a9b9-3b6a5eeefe06iago_02262.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	144.5 KB 
ID:	212344   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5f494140-7c24-4086-969d-bb9e7253b59fiago_02264.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	120.6 KB 
ID:	212345  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aad0e82b-b5e4-4c6e-bad7-d21ba07f3c49iago_02263.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	155.0 KB 
ID:	212346   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c9cd6cbd-ec1d-465f-9288-b275a84fca68iago_02265.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	212347   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ddb93389-66b3-4a76-bde4-ad38acefe060iago_02266.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	212348  

Default Re: HOG SOL on SGW

At the same time, this S-V identified as a Bruno started at $8, bid rather high quickly. Maybe a desperate crowd thinks it might have a working tuner or two.
    But you’re right, some of the Goodwill franchises seem to be looking at databases and putting optimistic starting prices on things. Possibly even automated. Too bad there’s no inspection that can be helpful.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1081.jpeg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	212349

I think that Goodwill as an organization has identified items such as mandolins as something that you will never see in their retail stores. I used to haunt one of the local stores and find some interesting instruments now and again. I don't find them anymore.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

No Goodwills in the Keys AFAIK, only Salvation Army. Rare to see instruments at any of them, and then usually guitars, not very good ones. One time my local Sally Ann had a mandolin case - quite a surprise. Solid, no wear or tarnish, and for all of three bucks. Perfect timing, too, as I had recently acquired an A model online with no case.

And yes, the title definitely got me.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

My late wife was Annie (not the owner of this mandolin), so am tempted to bid, but as I have an eBay SOL arriving today (assuming FedEx is being honest), will probably pass (but maybe not!). Annie had a mandolin when I met her, but got busy with other things in life and never really played. I scored big points when I took an old Irish tune, Star of the County Down, and wrote words describing how we met and the aftermath. I encourage all individuals to write songs for their spouses/lovers/etc! I wrote one, as an interim measure, for my Sister-in-law when she mentioned that no one had ever written a song for her.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Denis Kearns For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    ... One time my local Sally Ann had a mandolin case - quite a surprise. Solid, no wear or tarnish, and for all of three bucks. Perfect timing, too, as I had recently acquired an A model online with no case ...
    I've heard of the Cat Distribution System; this must be an example of the Mandolin Case Distribution System
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Denis Kearns View Post
    I encourage all individuals to write songs for their spouses/lovers/etc! I wrote one, as an interim measure, for my Sister-in-law when she mentioned that no one had ever written a song for her.
    I'll wager that is the case for the vast majority of people, SO's in particular. And lord knows I've ventured into this area myself, several times over the years, with decidedly mixed results in terms of making a successful impression. One time this did lead to a reltionship and eventual engagement. I'll also bet many, many, many more songs have been written after a relationship has gone its way than before or during one. Nothing inspires more than heartbreak, heartache, and what we like to call poetic justice, aka rewriting the ending. That engagement not panning out led to a whole lot more songs of those natures than happy ones. But it's always worth a shot, and if nothing else you could well end up with a song or two that may last longer and mean more to more people than the original plan. No kidding - at least half of my ten best songs were written this way. Hope, dreams, romanticism - great sources of inspiration for writing songs. And they may well sound good enough on a Strad-O-Lin from Goodwill to make it all work. (And you thought I couldn't bring this sidetrack back to the main line. Ha! )

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

9. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Got my ebay Strad-O-Lin today and although the case, alas, doesn’t fit my 2-point SOL (the impetus for bidding), the new mandolin is a nice one. As such, my SAS has quieted slightly and I’ll not be bidding on Annie’s SOL.

señor Bear, I seem to find it easier to compose happy songs. Like most of us, I expect, I’m always willing to tweak lyrics in a rude, irreverent, or goofy manner.
    Also, I harbor no doubts that you will somehow meander yourself back to the topic at hand via an interesting and informative path!

11. The following members say thank you to Denis Kearns for this post:

Blog Entries

You are much too kind, sir! Tangents are all good and well, but it isn't always that easy to relate a conclusion thereby reached back to the starting point. This instance was a strech, but an amusing one. I appreciate the appreciation.

As to the emotional aspects of songwriting ... The song that won milady's heart (the fiancée mentioned above) was a milestone in my oeuvre. It was the first out-and-out happy song I'd written. To that point I'd managed only various shades of bittersweet. But I was so optimistic, as we seemed to be really hitting it off, in a very reciprocal way, that I expressed this in that song. It tells the story (poetically) of the arc of our interaction, from first meeting to development of rapport to a projected future including marriage and birth. I presented this to her on our first date, a hike in the woods - we'd had plenty of phone chats during the time leading up to this, so there was something developing, it wasn't coalescing out of the ether. She was very impressed with the song itself, and the joy it expressed, but also my boldness in "saying" such things to her on a first date. I had to explain it fit the narrative of the song, which isn't exactly the same as our own plot outline, but, yes, I had to agree I felt a wee bit of trepidation. We laughed, we kissed, and ... the camera fades, the music swells, the credits roll.

The general point I'm making, in response to your post, and for ll who've read this far, is that sometimes this sort of composition and presentation works; it does achieve the wished-for result. Not always, mind you. I've written songs with a certain person in mind and then been unable to find the opportunity for the desired serenade, or when such is arranged, it falls on deaf ears. When that happens, it's pretty clear the two of you aren't on the same page. But you still have a song, and you have very likely put a lot of your heart and mind into it, and so it may very well be quite a good song. It might not be another "Layla," but that's all right. That whole deal got awfully messy, and who needs that? But the point is to do it, and believe me, more often thwn not your muse will be amused. And it won't matter if you've played the song for her on a vintage Gibson, a Dude or Gil, or a Goodwill Strad-O-Lin. It's for her, about her, and it truly is the thought that counts.

Agree with jb, failed or unfulfilled love inspires more of my songwriting than happiness -- because when you're happy, you're too busy having fun to write a song.

I've introduced songs from the stage with, "here's another song written about someone who didn't deserve to have a song written about her...."

(I probably should have said "provides the impetus for" rather than inspires...and that is only if I may call myself a songwriter...)
    Last edited by Jeff Mando; Feb-28-2024 at 1:30pm.

14. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Denis Kearns View Post
    señor Bear, I seem to find it easier to compose happy songs. Like most of us, I expect, I’m always willing to tweak lyrics in a rude, irreverent, or goofy manner.
    Also, I harbor no doubts that you will somehow meander yourself back to the topic at hand via an interesting and informative path!
    To take this even further off the beaten path, a friend of mine whose last name is Wolf worked with a number of Mexicans on a landscaping crew who referred to him as Señor El Lobo. So it seems in this case it would be Señor El Oso. Perhaps there is a song there as well.

16. The following members say thank you to CarlM for this post:

Blog Entries

Well ... I don't want to beat a dead horse, or caballo muerto, but it's actually more appropriate to say Monsieur L'Ours. Merci!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Agree with jb, failed or unfulfilled love inspires more of my songwriting than happiness -- because when you're happy, you're too busy having fun to write a song.

I've introduced songs from the stage with, "here's another song written about someone who didn't deserve to have a song written about her...."

(I probably should have said "provides the impetus for" rather than inspires...and that is only if I may call myself a songwriter...)
    Yes, agreed. Some of my happy songs are rather silly. Which is not to say that humor can't infuse serious or cynical or satirical songs - it can, indeed, and quite effectively - but being silly may well work against them being regarded as meaningful. Tom Lehrer is a case in point, but he is a master, to whose level few can rise, IMO. And he is self-aware enough to work mentions of his silliness into some songs, all the while maintaining the serious aspects of the song. As I said, he's a master. I'm, well, pretty good sometimes.

Which reminds me - if you have written a song, you're a songwriter. Don't sell yourself short or run yourself down - that's for others to do and you to ignore. If you've written a song, you're a songwriter. You may not be prolific or proficient, but that's the job title. A favorite synonym is "professional dreamer." I've plucked that from the Don Williams song, "Love Is On A Roll." Which he didn't write, by the way - Roger Cook and John Prine collabed on that. Reminds me - another song mentioning being a songwriter, and much more prominently, "I Write The Songs" - well, Barry Manilow (Boring Anyhow) didn't write that! It was wriitten by Bruce Johnston, the latter-day Beach Boy. I remember being stunned when I'd heard that, which lowered by regard for him even more than before. But I guess it doesn't really matter who wrote the song you sing, and this whole singer-songwriter synthesis is a fairly recent construct, thanks to The Beatles and Bob Dylan. The two functions were separate for ages before they came along and turned everything upside down. And then rightside up again, into this brave new world.

Enough already. I now return you to your previously scheduled programming, already in progress.

19. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

“Y’all! Happiness is a TERRIBLE place to write songs from.” Chris Thile at a solo show not too long after the birth of his son…