Thread: A Pair of Ceccherini's

Default A Pair of Ceccherini's

One of these I've been playing for while, the other is newly restored, not often you get two of these in the same place at the same time!

In addition to the level of decoration, the main difference is in the second soundboard - both are of the "full length" variety, running from the soundhole to the tailpiece, but the higher spec one has 4 holes around 2cm in diameter in a diamond pattern, while the other has no holes. I've seen quite a few of the first variety before, along with some "half length" resonators in there, but this is the first plain one with no holes cut in it. Interestingly, it seems to make little difference to the sound. The newer one (to me) also has a new fretboard in order to correct a poor neck angle, while both have my compensated bridges

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	small-IMG_20240219_112010156.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	778.6 KB 
ID:	212283Click image for larger version. 

Name:	small-IMG_20240219_112028471_HDR.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	447.9 KB 
ID:	212275Click image for larger version. 

Name:	small-IMG_20240219_112042951_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	559.8 KB 
ID:	212276Click image for larger version. 

Name:	small-IMG_20240219_112109827.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	317.2 KB 
ID:	212277Click image for larger version. 

Name:	small-IMG_20240219_112133961.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	407.5 KB 
ID:	212278Click image for larger version. 

Name:	small-IMG_20240219_112149590.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	381.9 KB 
ID:	212279Click image for larger version. 

Name:	small-IMG_20240219_112204603_HDR.jpg 
Size:	400.3 KB 
ID:	212280Click image for larger version. 

Name:	small-IMG_20240219_112325571.jpg 
Size:	235.6 KB 
ID:	212281Click image for larger version. 

Name:	small-IMG_20240219_112342441.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	178.9 KB 
ID:	212282

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Tavy For This Useful Post:

Default Re: A Pair of Ceccherini's

Thank you Tavy for the photos and discussion. A few questions occur to me:

Your older mandolin has the 'window' peghead with the flower device on it. Is this the one that has the Italian label? And the newer one has the English label? (If this is correct then my Ceccherini agrees with your older one.)

In some of your photos the two bowls seem to be of the same size. But in some photos the older instrument looks considerably larger. This could be just a result of the way the scene was set and the lens used. Are the two in fact the same size?

And finally, the fingerboards and fretting. Both instruments have a fretboard extension over the soundhole; one has 24 frets, the other 22. Is a fretboard extension a common feature on Ceccherini mandolins you've seen? My own Ceccherini has 17 frets, but enough fingerboard for 19, and in its last 2 cm the board has inlays that complete the circle of inlays around the soundhole. (See my avatar.) An unusual effect, and I wonder whether you've seen it on other Ceccherini mandolins ?

You've probably seen more of these instruments than anyone else, so thanks for sharing any insights on these minor matters !

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Clausen View Post
    Thank you Tavy for the photos and discussion. A few questions occur to me:

Your older mandolin has the 'window' peghead with the flower device on it. Is this the one that has the Italian label? And the newer one has the English label? (If this is correct then my Ceccherini agrees with your older one.)
    Other way around, the older 24 fret one has the English label with the serial number, the Italian label without the number is on the newer 22 fret one.

In some of your photos the two bowls seem to be of the same size. But in some photos the older instrument looks considerably larger. This could be just a result of the way the scene was set and the lens used. Are the two in fact the same size?
    Yes same size.

And finally, the fingerboards and fretting. Both instruments have a fretboard extension over the soundhole; one has 24 frets, the other 22. Is a fretboard extension a common feature on Ceccherini mandolins you've seen? My own Ceccherini has 17 frets, but enough fingerboard for 19, and in its last 2 cm the board has inlays that complete the circle of inlays around the soundhole. (See my avatar.) An unusual effect, and I wonder whether you've seen it on other Ceccherini mandolins ?

You've probably seen more of these instruments than anyone else, so thanks for sharing any insights on these minor matters !
    Haha, I've had a few through here, but I don't think I've seen one quite the same as yours...

Here's the fretboard ends for the others that have passed through:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	small-DSCF2942.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	603.9 KB 
ID:	212386Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2725.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	466.2 KB 
ID:	212387Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2619.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	2.86 MB 
ID:	212388

I think I may be missing one there, but as you can see they're all different!

5. The following members say thank you to Tavy for this post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Great stuff, John and Bruce. Thanks for sharing.

Where's Martin?

We can't have a discussion here about Ceccherinis without Martin joining in.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    Where's Martin?

We can't have a discussion here about Ceccherinis without Martin joining in.
    I'm right here!

There are two Ceccherinis in my profile picture, although one of them has been sold since then to one of the other players in our mandolin group -- I see it every week. We have/had another two Ceccherinis in our group although I see them more infrequently (one is used by our mandola player when she wants to switch to mandolin, the other is owned by a player who can no longer attend regularly). I believe both of these latter ones were restored by Tavy. I had yet another one many years ago that I set up for playing and flipped -- a ten-string instrument which I set up as an 8-string. There are photos in the Cafe archives somewhere.

Interesting to see that both of these latest ones have fretboard extensions, which I associate with later instruments. None of the ones I've seen in person had extensions. I now wonder whether I'm wrong in either the dates for fretboard extensions, or the dates for the styles of tuners used by Ceccherini. I've always thought that the rounded style of tuners with 5 screws in each plate were earlier and the straight-edged ones with only two screws were later. My current Ceccherini has the straight style whereas both of the ones I've sold had the rounded style. The straight style also seems to go with the hole in the headstock. The tarnishing seems to go with the metal used -- the straight style stays shiny and the rounded goes dull with time.

I should probably give my Ceccherini more playing time -- lately, I've mainly been using the Vinaccia over the Ceccherini and Embergher. I think the below Neapolitan standards are my most recent recordings featuring the Ceccherini, from back in late 2020:

Reginella
    Torna a Surriento
    Santa Lucia

Martin

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Martin Jonas For This Useful Post:

Good new demo of the one that's currently for sale.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillWilliams For This Useful Post: