Thread: Blueridge Tenor CGDA Strings?

Blog Entries

Default Blueridge Tenor CGDA Strings?

I'm setting up someone's Blue Ridge Tenor BR 40T in CGDA tuning. Any suggestions on strings? Couple of questions:

• Pedestrian, run of the mill CGDA strings recommendation?
    • First class, high-end strings recommendation?
    • Can I use Tenor Banjo strings (seem to be same scale length and same tuning and I happen to have a set)?
    • Do any of you Blue Ridge Tenor folks know where the recommended specs might be on the Blue Ridge / Saga website?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

Default Re: Blueridge Tenor CGDA Strings?

My go to set for years has been D'Addario J66-tenor guitar/bronze.

1st-.010 2nd-.014 3rd-.022 4th-.032

https://www.stringsbymail.com/acoust...or-guitar-539/
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Looks like Curt Mangan offers a set too...

https://www.curtmangan.com/tenor-gui...RoCAIoQAvD_BwE

I have not tried these but I like their mandolin strings.
    Charley

Blog Entries

More set up questions. As I was changing strings on the beast last night, I managed to break 2 of the 4 strings. So I'm batting .500, which is not bad for baseball, but maybe not so great for set up. Two questions, if I may:

--When I'd removed all of the strings, the saddle fell out. It turns out it was too big for the slot in the bridge, (and was moving around, explaining why I was getting some odd overtones with the original strings). I temporarily fixed it with a shim, which worked fine for now, but don't I need to cut a new saddle of the proper width?

--I noticed that the saddle has no slots cut in it. The "slots" worn by the strings are barely visible--apparently they're "worn" into the saddle material from playing but were not cut. Is this normal for a tenor? (Not what I'm used to on Mando-family!) Do I cut slots or just leave it be? The action height is almost perfect, so if I were to cut slots they would be more like suggestions than actual slots.

--The .500 batting average made me reflect on the fact that all of my strings came out of my string repository, and they all must be 10+ years old. No visible corrosion or dirt on the "new" strings, but I wonder: when strings are 10 years old, have they started to weaken? Would that be what predisposed them to break? (Rather than, say, my trying to tune the "C" to three octaves above middle C because it was late and I wasn't thinking (:-() ) I'm not a materials scientist, so would appreciate advice from those of y'all who are.

As always, thanks in advance for y'all's invaluable advice and input.
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

Belbein,

Making a new saddle out of a bone blank would be the way to go.

The string spacing on flat top guitars are determined by the peg holes in the bridge and the slots in the nut, no need to put slots in the saddle.
    Charley

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

In my own opinion, I think the Blueridge is better suited to GDAE, it is possible to tune CGDA as lots of folk do just that but, the A will always be very tight!
    The big body works well with the lower tuning.