Thread: Strad-O-Lin Circa 1940?

Default Strad-O-Lin Circa 1940?

It may be some time in the very late 30s with that headstock shape. Not sure- is it a refinish?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/13493859168...emCondition=10

Default Re: Strad-O-Lin Circa 1940?

Might be a good player!

Interesting finish, not sure. The next to the last pic, when supersized, the back clearly shows laminated construction, but very attractive wood. Not sure about the top, but appears to be a similar mahogany grain, so I am assuming laminated, not a clear enough picture to tell for sure -- at least to my eyes.
    Last edited by Jeff Mando; Feb-16-2024 at 1:48pm.

Before I posted it, I did a search for "mahogany stradolin" to see if one showed up- but nothing did. That does not mean there is no such thing but the wear made me think it was laminates.

The wear looks like mahogany veneer, and the same finish both sides is either that or refinish. Likely a SOL or one of its many aliases. Pretty sure mahog laminate was a usual finish option. Could be a nice instrument anyway, and unlikely to sell high as an unknown. Do like to see if the action is in range though.

FIDDLES with STRADOLINS your_diamond's Avatar

The problem with this SOL may be it is starting to Delaminate. The guy said the action is good but pieces are flaking off. Which is why I prefer solid wood SOL's.

He may be referring to the varnish on the neck. The bridge, tailpiece and tuners make it worth $100 at least.

That's odd. Does look like the back is slightly loose in one photo and maybe laminate cracks in the back in another.

No idea what the top is, though. Maybe mahogany. I don't see the grain structure of spruce or the like. But maybe I'm just missing it.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

The sellers exact words, from his email... "The only noticeable issue is the finish. If you look closely at the images you'll see that the finish has come off parts of the instrument and has cracked in places".

If you look closely at the sixth picture, around the f-holes, where the pickguard would have been, it looks like the mahogany veneer is separating. An in hand viewing would help.

I'm not seeing the typical 2 pickguard screw holes on the top, possibly meaning they were filled and refinished or maybe never came with a pg?

Well, someone id’d the thing for the seller as SOL, so it may attract a little interest, dampened by laminate and lack of visible logo.
    There is a pit approximately where the pickguard screw should be, indicating likely there is some refinish. When I was a teen, I thought the brand name as kind of stupid and might have taken it off, but didn’t.
    On balance, I’d like to be in Taos, with or without a mandolin.

Well, whoever ID'd it is wrong on the date. It's not 1950s but it is probably one of these- a 1939 Stradolin Jr- all laminate and with those plank tuners. Jake Wildwood says this one is date stamped 1939.

https://jakewildwood.blogspot.com/20...-mandolin.html

It sold for $45.26 (+ shipping + tax)! Probably a good players SOL and a bargain if it doesn't need a lot of work

Sue was looking for a tailpiece- this mandolin went for the price of its tailpiece!

I was thinking about that. I paid almost exactly the same amount for a tailpiece. The tuners could be worth something, too, but at least one looks bent.

Actually, I hope it doesn't get parted out. That would be kind of sad.
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar