Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Monteleone

Hey folks, I was just wondering if Mr. Monteleone is still building mandolins. Has he ever built "A" style mandolins? I think the Monty's are such a work of art.

Thx for the info.

-S

His A was called a Style B.

One f the best I've played was a monteleone A (Style B). It was an early one too.

The last Monteleone I played was an 'A' style. It was, without exception, the LOUDEST mandolin I have ever laid my hands on. #So loud, in fact, that I heard it from literally across the campground and was 'drawn to it' like a dog to a bone. # The owner bought it directly from John many many years ago because it was available and he needed 'something to play' while his other Monteleone (F-style #2) was being worked on. #(Sheesh!) All of this, of course, happened long before Monteleone's work was recognized as it is today. #

Sorry, but I don't know if Monteleone is still building A-Style ('B' model) mandolins. #The one I heard/played was sure a goodin' though! #
    Andy Hodge

One of the best mandos I've played is a Monteleone A style. It's one of the most beautiful, too. Maybe Art Stern will post another picture or two of it.
    Fiddles
    Arches F4 / Newson F5
    Crump B1 / Old Wave GOM

sboneill - I am not in any way as knowledgeable as some about this question but I can say John Monteleone made "A" style mandolins, and does today. I have seen two older styles, one with little ornamentation (e.g. simple binding etc.) and the more detailed "Grand Master" grade instrument. Today he makes an "A" style radio flyer, really cool, and maybe Arthur will post a picture of one. You will hear people say there are a few "A" mandolins around that are as good as the best F5's in tone. i.e.. you couldn't tell the difference in a blind test. These Monteleone Style B instruments are all in that class. Attached is a picture of my "B" style instrument (Grand Master). He used the best woods, multiple binding, his own tail piece, and the tone is beyond words. One of the best recordings to hear a "B" style is by Paul Glasse, "The Road to Home". This recording is jazz, but the instrument is also at home in a BG setting. These instruments are truly versatile, play easily, and purr or bark depending on the demands of the setting. As for John making them today, I believe so, but he has a web site and a phone number where you can call him directly. Be warned these are expensive instruments, he is a Master Luthier.

Try the picture again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MtyB_Front.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	11562  

Indeed John is still building fabulous mandolins....in fact he
    taught luthiery at the Mandolin Symposium in Santa Cruz this year. I picked him up at the airport & we hung out a bit, he had a very recent Radio City mandolin, the first of its kind, very ornate Deco look to it, you can see his Radio City guitars on his web site, imagine that but in a mando. It was played by Grisman, Marshall, et al in Santa Cruz. John is an artist, that is the best way to describe him, a true artist!
    Here is a shot of my Radio Flyer A model with its Malibu Sunset finish.

Name:	Flyer_A.jpg 
Views:	369 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	11563  

Arthur, I love your A model. And what, one requires protective headgear when playing it? It must have a mean chop.

I used my Citroen Chapron Convertible as a backdrop for some photos after I got the Flyer A.
    The Flyer headgear seemed appropriate, as a prop..... I'll tell ya, driving that car is like being in a movie & with the goggles & leather I get some interestin' looks at red lights.

I thought John would appreciate the photos, he is into old cars, I picked him up at the airport in the Chapron.

Name:	DSweb.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	6.0 KB 
ID:	11568  

That Radio Flyer was one incredible instrument, Arthur... I had a hard time giving it back to you after the concert on Thursday night!

Hey J.T....I was glad when you gave it back too..........yeah I remember you playing Bach outside the
    UC Santa Cruz Performing Arts Center. It was surreal that night, the fog had come in and we walked out
    into a cloud after having just played on stage with our musical heros......definitely a highlight of
    the Mando Symposium.

years ago i heard a fellow playing a A style monteleone..the sound drew me to him from clear across the field..(that mando was owned by fred f.) that started my infatuation with monteleone mandos..i have had 3 so far... life is good
    mike conroy--
    1980 Monteleone m-5 (#46)
    Collings mf-5 (#88)

What made me ask this question was I love Don Steirnbergs music and he plays a Monty. As much as I like F Style mandolin I do prefer the A stlye. I am well aware of the after market value of his instruments but did not know if he made A's. I am a mucical hack but feel everyone deserves to play on the best mando they can get. I have just been blown away by his creations and the sound seems so even and balanced. Not to much of anything but if you need more it is there waiting for you. Anyway thanks for the Pics SternArt and ninevah.

PS. SternArt I think that mando is the 2nd most beautiful thing I have ever seen. My wife being the 1st of course.
    I bet ya that thing can bebop like no other.

-Scott

Hey Scott.......I'd like to see your wife (just kidding) I'm sure she is beautiful.
    This Radio Flyer is the fastest instrument I have, there is an immediate response to every subtle shading of the pick.
    On chords I can hear the individual notes ring out like a choir.....it loves those Swing & Dawg chords. This Malibu
    Sunset one is actually the Radio Flyer A model prototype. John also makes a 2 point that he calls the Baby Grand.......
    it has the symmetric Grand Artist headstock on a 2 point body, rather than the extended scroll GA body.

Arthur, that's the finest instrument photograph I've ever seen.

SternArt if you must her is a little pic.

I have heard those very things about his mandolins and maybe one will be mine. I sent an email off to him.
    Thanks again for the information and I hope you do not mind me using your pic as my new screensaver.

-Scott

Name:	10044919.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	8.1 KB 
ID:	11591  

Off topic,but...

One of my all-time favorite bumper stickers is the Citroen double-chevron & the words "I think your car is funny-looking, too."

Just before coming out to the Mandolin Symposium awhile back, John sent me some photos of a new one he was working on, here are a couple:

But when he arrived, he was carrying a new Radio City which was breathtaking to both look at and play. I have never played a mandolin or guitar of his that wasn't at least astounding. He's definitely still making mandolins!
    ph

º º º º º º º º º º º º º º º
    Paul Hostetter, luthier
    Santa Cruz, California
    www.lutherie.net

oooohhhh...kudzu gypsy needs green monte!!

if i didnt play the mando, those pics alone would make me want to. its amazing someone can build something that wild out of wood. f
    you NEVER see these more modern monte's come up for sale...i wonder if they are owned mostly by collectors?

I've got a very recent GA "Delux" I might consider selling........to the right adoptive home of course.

you hold on to that one a little longer art....i'll be a hollarin' for ya!

Art, Is your deluxe a blonde ? If so, i think you and John should work out a deal where you put both your mandolins in that car and turn the picture into postcards,posters,etc.! I already set that Malibu burst as my wallpaper, what a GREAT picture !

Jim Combra

I spoke with John by phone yesterday. He is still definitely making mandolins -- many different models, including the Style B, as well as some of his newer designs you've seen here. His web sight is out of date and doesn't show the mandolins but he continues to do amazing, creative mandolin building.

My Style B (#123) has been a joy to play for many years now. I thank John for building such a wonderful instrument for me to play.

Paul Glasse

Paul Glasse
    Driftwood, Texas
    http://paulglasse.com

25. The following members say thank you to pglasse for this post:

WOW!! Hey Paul...good to read you here on the Cafe...How are you feelng these days?

I'd like to hear you wail on my Flyer A model! Ever get out to the Left Coast?
    I don't recall you ever playing in the SF Bay Area?