Thread: Hamlel - fingerstyle Irish bouzouki

Default Hamlel - fingerstyle Irish bouzouki

A tune of mine called Hamlel played fingerstyle on an Irish bouzouki (in GDAE tuning) made by Gladstone Guitars.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to acharman For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Hamlel - fingerstyle Irish bouzouki

Beautiful song and soulful playing Mate!

Really, really, nice.
    Monte

Northfield F2S
    Weber Yellowstone Octave F

Thank you James and Monte. I’m pretty happy with how it came out. I’m also happy with how I’m starting to adjust to fingerstyle playing on mandolin family instruments. When I decided to learn them (and collect more of them) a year or so ago fingerstyle just didn’t work for me as I was probably just using the same action and angles as on guitars but my fingers are starting to do whatever adjustments it is that was needed. I do need to do more playing with pick as that tends to be just when I’m sightreading tunes.

Glad to see someone picking this technique up. I've been trying to spread the word on the potential of fingerstyle cittern or bouzouki for three decades now.

Here's a recent effort on a suite of English tunes:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UVm...&start_radio=1
    Joseph

Quote Originally Posted by jdsobol View Post
    Glad to see someone picking this technique up. I've been trying to spread the word on the potential of fingerstyle cittern or bouzouki for three decades now.

Here's a recent effort on a suite of English tunes:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UVm...&start_radio=1
    Joseph
    Very nice set of tunes Joseph. Coincidentally I saw that video a few days ago. It looks like you use a thumb pick but I can’t tell whether you use fingerpicks or not.

Fingerstyle (no nails or fingerpicks/thumbpicks) is my default playing approach from guitar and bass guitar where I almost never use picks. So when I started with bouzouki, cittern and mandola a year or so ago it was a default position - less so on mandolin where I play fingerstyle occasionally but forced myself to use a pick. With the larger instruments (mandola - bouzouki) along with tenor banjo, banjo and tenor guitar I tend to play fingerstyle a fair bit though I try to use a pick fairly often so it becomes as much second nature as fingers are. I don’t find fingerstyle works as well on mandolin though I do play them fingerstyle sometimes - string spacing is a bit too cramped and the shorter scale length is harder on the fingers. I don‘t play in sessions so getting maximum volume by picks isn’t a priority for me and neither is fitting in to expectations of any particular genre.

Maybe at some point I’ll give finger/thumb picks a try again.

Quote Originally Posted by acharman View Post
    Very nice set of tunes Joseph. Coincidentally I saw that video a few days ago. It looks like you use a thumb pick but I can’t tell whether you use fingerpicks or not.

Fingerstyle (no nails or fingerpicks/thumbpicks) is my default playing approach from guitar and bass guitar where I almost never use picks. So when I started with bouzouki, cittern and mandola a year or so ago it was a default position - less so on mandolin where I play fingerstyle occasionally but forced myself to use a pick. With the larger instruments (mandola - bouzouki) along with tenor banjo, banjo and tenor guitar I tend to play fingerstyle a fair bit though I try to use a pick fairly often so it becomes as much second nature as fingers are. I don’t find fingerstyle works as well on mandolin though I do play them fingerstyle sometimes - string spacing is a bit too cramped and the shorter scale length is harder on the fingers. I don‘t play in sessions so getting maximum volume by picks isn’t a priority for me and neither is fitting in to expectations of any particular genre.

Maybe at some point I’ll give finger/thumb picks a try again.
    Hi Acharman--I started off playing classical guitar as a kid, so that 4-finger technique with nails is my default. But I started playing in Irish trad sessions early on, and especially after moving to Chicago where I was surrounded by fiddles, banjos and accordions, I needed to up my game, both with volume and rhythm. Hence the thumbpick,which is actually a white nylon flatpick glued into a Herco flatpick-thumbpick frame.
    Also that was when acrylic nails started becoming widespread. I've been having index, middle and ring fingers done with acrylics since '93 or so, and that's when tone and power really started coming together. When banjo and accordion players started telling me to keep it down, I knew I was onto something....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXzx...Og0Ssg&index=4

9. The following members say thank you to jdsobol for this post: