Thread: Guitar and mandolin anyone?

Default Guitar and mandolin anyone?

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Franc Homier Lieu For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Guitar and mandolin anyone?

Very nice.
    Roger

1920 Martin Style A
    1924 Gibson A2Z "Snakehead"
    Don MacRostie designed Stuart MacDonald A-style kit I built myself.
    2022 Kentucky KM-1000B
    Plus guitars - lots of guitars
    Two banjos, a fiddle, and a tiple

Absolutely! I have and play both and It doesn’t really matter to me which one I have at the moment. I see it as, I am playing music and it doesn’t much matter which instrument that I’m doing it on. That being said, I play most songs considerably better on the guitar than I do on the mandolin, but I also occasionally pick up an acoustic bass or a harmonica, but those two are more of a diversion or just for fun. I picked up my second and probably my “forever” mandolin yesterday. No, it’s not a multi-thousand dollar “F” style. It’s a few hundred dollar pancake “A” style. I am anxiously awaiting its arrival next week. I play mostly Scott’s/Irish fiddle tunes and a few bluegrass classics from the early days of bluegrass. I am hoping that this little Gold Tone will deliver like the Flatiron 1N that I had some thirty years ago. I love guitars for the fullness and the power that they give the music, and I love the mandolin for their sweet tinkley melodic charm. Yep, guitar and mandolin are a great combination for this genre of music, and they’d work pretty well for a number of others too!
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Ibanez M-522
    Gold Tone GM 10 Frypan

It'd be nice to see mandolin and tenor guitar or mandolin and tenor banjo in standard CGDA tuning.

I get that some folks may want to speak about their experiences playing guitar or watching videos of others playing guitar... but I am NOT ready to move on from that performance by Thile and Lau Noah!

That's an amazing performance that really stands out, even in the large body of work that Thile has produced so far. I take it that Lau's playing is influenced by Catalan, Flamenco, and Choro but there is so much that I don't know about those styles, I can't untangle the threads on display here. I don't think I've ever heard anything like this particular fusion before. And when you add in the contemporary songwriting I can't think of anyone else who could handle the vocal and mandolin parts besides our own... CT.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BradKlein For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BradKlein View Post
    I get that some folks may want to speak about their experiences playing guitar or watching videos of others playing guitar... but I am NOT ready to move on from that performance by Thile and Lau Noah!

That's an amazing performance that really stands out, even in the large body of work that Thile has produced so far. I take it that Lau's playing is influenced by Catalan, Flamenco, and Choro but there is so much that I don't know about those styles, I can't untangle the threads on display here. I don't think I've ever heard anything like this particular fusion before. And when you add in the contemporary songwriting I can't think of anyone else who could handle the vocal and mandolin parts besides our own... CT.
    Thanks, Brad! I know that an OP can't moderate discussion on their own post, but I realize that I missed the mark (badly) with my choice of title. My intention was precisely to call attention to this transcendent example of guitar and mandolin synergy rather than to start a discussion of the general virtues of guitar and mandolin. BTW, if you have only listened to the YouTube video you should really listen to the track itself. I downloaded it from Apple Music and when you hear it without the limitations of YouTube audio it is even more mind-blowing.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Franc Homier Lieu For This Useful Post:

Lau Noah is a Catalan self- taught composer, multi- instrumentalist and artist based in New York City.

Noah has been praised by distinguished musicians for the astounding counterpoint work in her music. From Phoebe Bridgers to Jacob Collier and James Browne, Noah's music has been widely shared on social media by the world's most renowned artists.

Noah performed a Tiny Desk Concert in February 2019 making her the first Catalan to ever perform in the prestigious series.
    Noah has worked on TV projects for Warner Bros and has scored numerous award-winning films.

Her unique approach to music composition has made her a sought after act for workshops and master-classes for several music conservatories and Ivy League universities all over the world.
    Noah is sponsored by both Cordoba and Yamaha guitars.

Lau has played with musicians like Jacob Collier, Gavin Degraw and Chris Thile, with whom she recently toured in Europe and the UK as a supporting act.

This fall 2023 she will be the supporting act for Ben Folds on his European tour, playing at the Royal Albert Hall and other historic music halls.

Noah will release her first record this year.

(I think we all know who the other player is )

Her playing and especially her playing behind Thile's solo was so amazing. A total master musician.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

...and a great vocal blend as well. They're both have the range to sing the melody in the same key, before expanding into that very precise harmony.

The songwriting too, is just a perfect fit for Thile. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we hear more from this duo.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

Not really related to the video, but I recently bought a guitar because I want to use garageband to record some of my tunes. After buying the guitar and playing it for three days straight, I put it down and picked up my mandolin. The transition was scary. It felt like I'd stepped into Alice in Wonderland. The fretboard was tiny, my hands seemed to have shrunk, and what previously had sounded clean on the mandolin sounded very rough. Has anyone ever experienced this out of body feeling when swapping from guitar to mandolin? Or vice versa?

Thaitriplet, at first, yes, but give it some time and the transition will become more seamless. I actually have a little more trouble switching between mandolins with different nut widths or 8 string acoustic to 4 string electrics than I do between a given mandolin and guitar. You’ll get to a point where it’s not an issue, too, just give it some time!

And, I agree with Brad and the OP. Phenomenal performance. We know what to expect from CT, but I didn’t know Ms. Noah before this. I certainly hope we get to see more from this duo, and I’ll be delving more into her work, for sure…