Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Mandolin Should I Get?

Default Which Mandolin Should I Get?

I imagine this is an age-old topic here, but my searching the forum didn’t turn anything up, so if folks could point me to a thread or offer some advice I’d be grateful:

I’m a novice guitar player intrigued by the mandolin and have more time on my hands these days so would like to pluck out some fiddle tunes on the porch here. Which make/model mandolins should I search for? My budget is $500-$1k. I tend to play instruments that are higher quality than my actual playing ability, but I like it that way for various reasons.

Appreciate your time!

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Default Re: Which Mandolin Should I Get?

With that budget I’d recommend an Eastman 305. A style body with f sound holes, Sitka spruce top with maple back & sides. Matte finish. Comes with a gig bag. ~$630

You could also go for an Eastman 505. Similar to the 305 but with a gloss finish, upgraded tuners, and a hard case. ~$920

I actually prefer the finish on the 305, and the 505 hard case can fit the mandolin, a couple of picks, and nothing else. Not even room for a pack of strings.

If you wanted to go F body then the Eastman 315 is similar in specs to the 305 but with an F body. ~$880.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dan in NH For This Useful Post:

It has been asked many times before but there's no reason not to ask again because the market changes, different companies come on the scene, different models become available from the manufacturers so it's always a valid question because the answer is fluid.

In your price range I'd be looking at Kentucky and Eastman and let me be the first to tell you that you'll get more bang for your buck with an A style as opposed to an F style and some will also say buying used can save you money. I don't always subscribe to the buying used piece. Some people were never meant to buy used instruments.

Whatever you get you'll want to have it setup by the seller or a local luthier that knows something about mandolins. Don't assume because they sell guitars they know mandolins.

I'd check out the Cafe sponsors. They wouldn't be here if they didn't have something to offer the community.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

The Kentucky KM-505 has a radiused fretboard and is very popular. I have not actually played one. There is one at Elderly Instruments in the classifieds right now. It certainly won't sound like a high end mandolin, but then again, it is not a lotta moola. If one of these had a pro-set up, was very playable, I would think it to be a very good beginner mandolin or even next step up mandolin of one had a cheaper and not very playable mandolin.

7. The following members say thank you to Cheryl Watson for this post:

This is really helpful, thanks for your time everyone. I wonder what y’all think about some folks disliking the A-style F hole models like the Eastman 505. I see feedback claiming there’s no tone to be had in these models, no bottom end, just thin and tinny.

I'm guessing you're hearing that from non-mandolin people. In the first place most folks don't look for bottom end on a tiny short scale instrument. Tim O' Brien might argue the point about A models as well. The second most valuable Gibson mandolin in the world is an A style mandolin with F holes. I'd love to own it and finally sound wise no matter how much anyone wants to shout it most people can't tell an F model from an A model in a blind test of similar mandolins.

Most of the time when there are problems with mandolins they are setup issues. A $500.00 dollar mandolin generally isn't going to sound like a $6000.00 mandolin but most people aren't going to mortgage their homes to buy a mandolin. You play what you can afford I guess. The player has more to do with what comes out of these instruments than how much you paid for them.
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Jun-04-2023 at 8:41pm.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

I don't know about everywhere, but in my neck of the woods there's a hell of a lot of music being made on Eastman 305, 315, 505, and 515 mandolins,

Try this video as an Eastman vs Kentucky camparason. In fact all their mandolin videos are worthwhile:

https://youtu.be/RrTDnpah2uo

Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dan in NH For This Useful Post:

Really helpful insights — thank you! And very helpful video as well.

Big Muddy mandolins are in your price range, and they're hand made.

Quote Originally Posted by echosmyron View Post
    This is really helpful, thanks for your time everyone. I wonder what y’all think about some folks disliking the A-style F hole models like the Eastman 505. I see feedback claiming there’s no tone to be had in these models, no bottom end, just thin and tinny.
    As Mike says, mandolins are not the tool of choice if bottom end is your goal. That said, if a mandolin sounds "thin and tinny" it could be due to the player using too light a pick (I've seen guitar to mandolin converts complaining about thin sound but then they're also using .60-72mm picks, way too light - with the double course strings on a mandolin heavier picks are preferred) or due to where the player is striking the strings (striking the strings close to the bridge will result in a thin sound that decays quickly vs. striking the strings closer to where the neck joins the body where the notes will tend to sound fuller). Sierra Hull has a great video on getting good tone from a mandolin:
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jill McAuley For This Useful Post:

Playing on the porch

Just a quifk note... I really started my mandolin adventure with the Eastman 515. I chose it after talking to the folks at Fiddler's Green and decided on the F style instrument because it held its place on my lap with its points. I chose the f holes because it , in my mind, would make it easier not to lose picks in it and I'm an old violinist who just likes F holes. I played my Eastman every day for about four years until I took the step up to my Ellis. Still, I pulled out the Eastman a couple weeks ago and was still very pleased with its sound. It has been a very fine mandolin and I think it is a great place to start.
    ---
    2021 Ellis F5 Special #564 mandolin
    1928 Roth violin
    2016 Eastman MD515 mandolin
    1907 Foltz violin

18. The following members say thank you to GMorgan for this post:

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Keep in mind, first, that no mando does everything well. They have that in common with guitars.

Second, while there's distinct variation in sound between different mandos, the range is narrower than with guitars. So don't get too hung up on the fine points of the instrument. Whatever you get, your tastes (and ears) will develop over time, and chances are that when you're more proficient you'll have a better ear for what your next mandolin should sound like.

Also, while what you've heard and read could well be true, keep in mind these gross generalizations:

- All else equal, A's cost less than F's for the same sound quality. You can't hear bling.

- F-holes are louder than oval and round holes.

- Oval and round holes sound warmer than F-holes.

- Maple is the brightest of body woods.

- Solid wood sounds louder and richer than plywood.

- Flattop and bent-top mandos can also sound and play great and can be found for nice prices.

Last, at under $1k, you're unlikely to find a truly magical mando. It costs more to get into high-quality mandos than guitars, partly because so many fewer get made. Don't let that faze you. You're just getting started. What you want is a workhorse. Just get a good mando for the money, and enjoy learning on it.

Let us know what you end up getting. (And remember that it didn't happen unless you post a picture.)

Welcome to the forum!
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)

20. The following members say thank you to Charlie Bernstein for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

+1 great advice there from Charlie

You didn’t state whether you might be in a position to try out mandolins somewhere, but if you can, put your hands on some. If not, you have to trust and hope that what you order will fit the bill. Buying unseen from a cafe sponsor will ensure a decent setup, and you can speak with someone there to let them know what kind of action you desire on it.

It’s really tough to go by what “some people say”, or even what most people say in the end. These days the Eastman models seem to get the best press, but I, for one, much prefer most Kentucky instruments more than Eastmans.

There are actually quite a few good choices available at or near your price range especially if you buy used. To Charlie’s point though, to get an entry level Collings would cost you around $3,500 or so, used probably between 2k and 3k, I can’t speak with certainty about prices because they change, but pretty much gone are the days a Collings MT could be had for less than 2k used it seems.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Gunter For This Useful Post:

Which one? The Collings MT amber I'm selling.
    2010 Campanella A-5
    1923 Gibson A2

24. The following members say thank you to DCHammers for this post:

This lightly used Eastman 515 just hit the classifieds....

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/204529#204529

NFI
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

26. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in NH View Post
    I don't know about everywhere, but in my neck of the woods there's a hell of a lot of music being made on Eastman 305, 315, 505, and 515 mandolins,

Try this video as an Eastman vs Kentucky camparason. In fact all their mandolin videos are worthwhile:

https://youtu.be/RrTDnpah2uo

This video was great and really helpful - thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    +1 great advice there from Charlie

You didn’t state whether you might be in a position to try out mandolins somewhere, but if you can, put your hands on some. If not, you have to trust and hope that what you order will fit the bill. Buying unseen from a cafe sponsor will ensure a decent setup, and you can speak with someone there to let them know what kind of action you desire on it.

It’s really tough to go by what “some people say”, or even what most people say in the end. These days the Eastman models seem to get the best press, but I, for one, much prefer most Kentucky instruments more than Eastmans.

There are actually quite a few good choices available at or near your price range especially if you buy used. To Charlie’s point though, to get an entry level Collings would cost you around $3,500 or so, used probably between 2k and 3k, I can’t speak with certainty about prices because they change, but pretty much gone are the days a Collings MT could be had for less than 2k used it seems.
    Thanks for this, Mark. And I've been really benefiting from the Amateur Mandolinist site.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    Keep in mind, first, that no mando does everything well. They have that in common with guitars.

Second, while there's distinct variation in sound between different mandos, the range is narrower than with guitars. So don't get too hung up on the fine points of the instrument. Whatever you get, your tastes (and ears) will develop over time, and chances are that when you're more proficient you'll have a better ear for what your next mandolin should sound like.

Also, while what you've heard and read could well be true, keep in mind these gross generalizations:

- All else equal, A's cost less than F's for the same sound quality. You can't hear bling.

- F-holes are louder than oval and round holes.

- Oval and round holes sound warmer than F-holes.

- Maple is the brightest of body woods.

- Solid wood sounds louder and richer than plywood.

- Flattop and bent-top mandos can also sound and play great and can be found for nice prices.

Last, at under $1k, you're unlikely to find a truly magical mando. It costs more to get into high-quality mandos than guitars, partly because so many fewer get made. Don't let that faze you. You're just getting started. What you want is a workhorse. Just get a good mando for the money, and enjoy learning on it.

Let us know what you end up getting. (And remember that it didn't happen unless you post a picture.)

Welcome to the forum!
    This was really helpful as I made my decision on the Eastman MD305. Thanks, Charlie.

Thanks, all, for the thoughtful input here. This is a great community. I went with the Eastman MD305 and to my ears it has a sweet and warm tone, intonation is spot on, and fretting notes is a breeze compared to some of the cheaper beat up models (like an old Marcus Martini) I tried. Thanks again. Let's see if I can upload a photo. I'm off to Bluegrass Camp in Grass Valley on Sunday - super excited!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-1227.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	6.66 MB 
ID:	207984

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to echosmyron For This Useful Post:

Excellent start!
    If an A with f-holes is good enough for Tim O'Brien..
    Also remember that if your Eastman came to you new or barely used then this is the worst it will sound! Something happens to solid wood instruments with the vibrations of playing, so it's up to you now. Welcome to our world.
    www.stevetilston.com (double bass duties)

33. The following members say thank you to hubrad for this post:

There was a time the $1000 or less was the range for beginners. I think that has ramped up to $2000 due to current inflation, increase in quality, increase in import costs, etc. That being said, I'm still in the upper end Eastman and Kentucky models for best bang for the buck under $2000. And as always the case, these imports will need pro set ups, so add $100 or so to that cost to get the mandolin to play easy and note right.

You can often find a used Eastman for around this or even lower. The MD305 is a great starter instrument, and you can often pick these up for between 350-400 used. It also has a classic finish that would go well with your old-timey requirements.

Blog Entries

This video was great and really helpful - thanks.
    Glad to hear you thought it was helpful. We also did one comparing F-style vs A-Style that you might get some use out of. There is a blind tone-test for each brand.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MandolinChapman For This Useful Post:

This was really helpful as I made my decision on the Eastman MD305. Thanks, Charlie.
    You're Malcolm!

Thanks, all, for the thoughtful input here. This is a great community. I went with the Eastman MD305 and to my ears it has a sweet and warm tone, intonation is spot on, and fretting notes is a breeze compared to some of the cheaper beat up models (like an old Marcus Martini) I tried. Thanks again. Let's see if I can upload a photo. I'm off to Bluegrass Camp in Grass Valley on Sunday - super excited!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-1227.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	6.66 MB 
ID:	207984
    Pretty! Congrats!