Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OM Scale Lengths

Default Re: OM Scale Lengths

I had a longer scale octave that I sold because it was too hard to play. Then someone gave me a Trinity ~20-inch scale to play and it was much easier, so I eventually bought a used one, which I have had for many years, but it comprises substantially less than 5% of my playing time. The price of that shorter scale is primarily in the G string, which despite trying various strings is always somewhat muddy and never totally satisfactory (I currently have a Newtone octave set which is somewhat of an improvement over prior efforts). I think most octave players are like me: we are basically tourists on an infrequently used secondary instrument, modifying mandolin technique as little as possible to get by. So first-position stretches from frets 1 to 6, or reaching the 7th fret, are a challenge. “Real” octave players develop techniques and fingerings suitable for the instrument, so the longer scales are not as bothersome. My experience is that the longer scale instruments are definitely better sounding, but then again they only sound better if you can play them adequately. If I were going all-in as an octave player, I would get a longer-scale instrument and not try to play it more or less as a mandolin. Knowing that I will not, I am satisfied with the compromise that is a short-scale octave.

I encourage you to try the capo experiment that others have described; it will help you decide whether a shorter scale would make much difference to you.

the "octave mandolin is too big to play" fallacy. you have to accept that you cannot stretch/reach from G/dstring to Bf/astring, you have to use the Bf/dstring. similar, you cannot reach from B/astring to B or C/estring, if the tune is right, you can take that jump, but then you have to be ready to run from where you land (play notes around B and C on the estring). good tunes to figure this out are "road to errogie" in (Amaj and Bmaj) and the "exploding bow" reel (Bm). dots are thesession.org. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw-TQ1dYWmk and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkzwCgBzdWA

If octave mandolins are too big then a bouzouki is enormous. Besides guitars have a longer scale than an octave mandolin. I don’t see the problem.
    Dave Schneider

octave mandolin and bouzouki is the same thing. some builders, vendors and players try to differentiate them by scale length, but there is no consistency or generally accepted rules to that. for example, my guitars, my octave mandolin, my mandocello and my gdae tenor guitar all have the same scale length.

Quote Originally Posted by mandocello8 View Post
    octave mandolin and bouzouki is the same thing. some builders, vendors and players try to differentiate them by scale length, but there is no consistency or generally accepted rules to that. for example, my guitars, my octave mandolin, my mandocello and my gdae tenor guitar all have the same scale length.
    I would say that most bouzouki players prefer a longer scale with lighter strings because of the tone difference. I would also think a longer scale on the mandocello would allow for lighter strings which would help playability. Just my opinion.
    Dave Schneider

I agree. When I see long neck, light octave strings, low action, played with a thin/floppy pick, lots of zing, I too say "nice bouzouki playing!". But same instrument with heavier unison strings, higher action played with a heavy wegen pick would be an octave mandolin to me. Maybe that's why many people stick with small mandolins, everything is very standardized, you buy an "F-5" mandolin and you know it will play bluegrass just fine and you will look like Bill Monroe as you go about it.

I don’t play bluegrass nor do I wish to look like Bill Monroe. I prefer flat top instruments. With 13 inch scale. For folk and old time music.
    Dave Schneider

Bruce Weber recommended Pearce #2265 for my Gallatin F22 but they are impossible to get in the UK so had a custom set made at Eagle music shop.
    String size is 12, 24, 36, 48.
    Strings when I bought it 11-40 D'Addario.