Thread: Calace's Serenata Malinconica, op.120

Default Calace's Serenata Malinconica, op.120

I often like Calace's unabashedly Romantic aesthetic. I play a great many of his duos, mostly to piano or guitar accompaniment. However, sometimes Calace's own guitar arrangements of his accompaniments leave much to be desired, especially those that are available only in hastily scratched manuscript form. Case in point is his lovely Serenata Malinconica, op.120. Calace's handwritten notation can be hard to read. The guitar version of the accompaniment is sometimes dumbed down to the point of skeletal, sparse, inadequate, silly. Some voicings in the arpeggio passage are really awkward. Etc.

Of the professional recordings of the piece that I own, three are accompanied by guitar. I think it's telling that none of them play Calace's guitar accompaniment exactly as written. Also, none of them are exactly alike regarding scoring (at least as far as I can tell by ear).

I thus offer the attached that occupied too much of yesterday's efforts. It maintains some of the guitaristic aspects from Calace's manuscript (if I liked them) but also incorporates much more from the original piano accompaniment. I think it's more idiomatic to guitar. Etc. You can download the mandolin part and original accompaniments here. I'd love for you to make some use of this, offer constructive criticism, etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Calace serenata malinconica op120 guitarr acc.pdf  
    Last edited by Eugene; May-29-2023 at 11:23am.

2. The following members say thank you to Eugene for this post:

Default Re: Claace's Serenata Malinconica, op.120

"I'd love for you to make some use of this, offer constructive criticism, etc."

Hi Eugene, excellent job on the guitar part, straightforward to play, sounds good. I agree that the Calace guitar parts are often problematic (which is odd, because he could obviously write perfectly well for the guitar, as evidenced by his solo guitar music). If I were actually playing this, I might deviate here and there with ornaments or possibly improvise, but I wouldn't bother with writing any of this down, such variations being period appropriate.
    Robert A. Margo

4. The following members say thank you to margora for this post:

Eugene 

Default Re: Calace's Serenata Malinconica, op.120

Big thanks, Bob. I appreciate you giving this a little time. For what it's worth, I did slightly modify after a few plays through, but only slightly.

Calace's sparse approach here—his substantial deviation on guitar from the frankly better piano accompaniment—is especially weird because E minor–major is simply so idiomatic to guitar.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Calace serenata malinconica op120 guitarr acc.pdf