Thread: A Punch Sister?

Default A Punch Sister?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tony Trischka 01.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	158.3 KB 
ID:	207747

>>>> HERE <<<< is my radio interview with banjo master Tony Trischka about his upcoming EarlJam shows, honoring Earl Scruggs and exploring some rare bootleg recordings. The gigs in NYC and Bethlehem, PA this weekend feature Jacob Jolliff on mandolin BTW. Along with Michael Daves, Brittany Haas, and Jared Engel.

Toward the end, Tony mentions that fiddler Brittany Haas is joining the Punch Bros. I was so surprised, that I didn't clarify if that's a temporary or permanent move. Any more info out there?
    Last edited by BradKlein; May-26-2023 at 8:40am.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

2. The following members say thank you to BradKlein for this post:

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Default Re: A Punch Sister?

Your post begs the question what´s happening with Gabe Witcher. Are the PBs doing twin fiddling now (interesting thought). Brittany Haas is an interesting adition as I would put her into the oldtime camp. What will that do with the PBs. Will she be expansive?
    Olaf

Oh, man…I was a little worried when Mighty Poplar released their debut given the lineup and how well received it’s been (it’s in my regular rotation of late). I know it was meant to be a recurring side gig, and the PB have always wandered away but then come back refreshed to their home band. But now Poplar is touring…I really like Brit’s fiddling and she had great chemistry with so many artists on Live from Here, and she’s a tremendous addition to any band, but I hope we’re not seeing rumblings of a permanent split of some kind. Twin fiddles could be really cool, but we’ll see. I mean, bands form and break up all the time, and it’s rare to see one together with the same line up even as long as the PB. I mean, I like the Drive By Truckers, and Hood and Cooley have been playing together for 37 years, but I think 8 years is as long as any one line up has been together with them. It will be interesting to see how this all turns out, and I’m sure amazing new music will ultimately be the result regardless, but I’m still feeling a bit of a disturbance in the Force…

(And, yes, I know a hard touring Southern Rock band with legendary stamina is a totally different ballgame, but I just saw them in Asheville a couple of weeks ago so they’re on my brain).
    Chuck

5. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

I've seen Brittany Haas perform at Wintergrass several times with a variety of acts - Cahalen Morrison and Eli West, Hawktail, and others. She is so much more than a strictly old-time player.

7. The following members say thank you to Mandobart for this post:

When TT says that Haas as a 'bionic bowing arm' (in the interview in the original post above), I thought right away of this recording. It's really unlike any other recording of the tune. And when Brit kicks in thirty seconds in...

Last edited by BradKlein; May-27-2023 at 12:19pm.
    BradKlein
    Twangbox® Videos

9. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to BradKlein For This Useful Post:

I saw her last week with Hawktail; old time is never a word I would use to describe her playing.

Brilliant, captivating, inspiring, beyond labels or boundaries, yes.
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to j. condino For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by grassrootphilosopher View Post
    Your post begs the question what´s happening with Gabe Witcher. Are the PBs doing twin fiddling now (interesting thought). Brittany Haas is an interesting adition as I would put her into the oldtime camp. What will that do with the PBs. Will she be expansive?
    She plays oldtime, yes, but she goes way beyond that style with all the styles she plays. I mean, just listen to Hawktail! That's pretty amazing to hear she is joining Punch Brothers.

From the sound of the interview she is definitely replacing Gabe Witcher. She will fill those shoes just fine as I think she's the best fiddler out there right now!
    Northfield A5 Special #60

And... it's official! (and you knew it first, my Cafe brothers and sisters!)

Name:	Punch Sister.png 
Views:	194 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	207860
    BradKlein
    Twangbox® Videos

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BradKlein For This Useful Post:

Oh, my goodness that’s some fiddling by Brittany Haas. She’ll definitely fit in well with the Punch Bros.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BradKlein View Post
    And... it's official! (and you knew it first, my Cafe brothers and sisters!)

Name:	Punch Sister.png 
Views:	194 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	207860
    Great job, Brad.

For those that haven't been around that long or just forgot, the Mandolin Cafe has been cited as a source in print by the New York Times and many other large news outlets for two other breaking articles, both which were a result of Brad's efforts that were published here. One was the announcement Stan Jay has been hospitalized - Stan Jay, Pioneer of Vintage Instrument Fame Fighting For His Life and no longer was able to run Mandolin Brothers (which completely took everyone in and around New York City by surprise). The other was the announcement Chris Thile Transitioning to Full-Time Host of A Prairie Home Companion. Could be one more there but I think that's it.

Nicely done once again, Brad. Now back to work at your NPR post!

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Fowler View Post
    She plays oldtime, yes, but she goes way beyond that style with all the styles she plays. I mean, just listen to Hawktail! That's pretty amazing to hear she is joining Punch Brothers.

From the sound of the interview she is definitely replacing Gabe Witcher. She will fill those shoes just fine as I think she's the best fiddler out there right now!
    There is no doubt in my mind that BH is a highly qualified musician that can be an invaluable asset to the PBs. Listening to Hawktail, I hear a lot of old world (isrish, scottish) fiddling in her music.

Concerning Gabe Witcher, I would still like to know what he will be up to.

And Brad Klein, well done, as allways. I really like your effort in our mando community (the videos, the interviews etc.)
    Olaf

19. The following members say thank you to grassrootphilosopher for this post:

The thing I like best about Haas' fiddling is that in hearing her cover any number of styles, there is that "old time" element in her playing (izzit the bow technique...the shuffle??)...but I would never pigeon-hole her as an old-time fiddler.
    too many strings