Thread: Vega bowlback in the Tampa area

Default Vega bowlback in the Tampa area

https://offerup.com/item/detail/1547191259

I would snap this up for myself but OfferUp is for local sales. I asked the seller if she would ship it to me but it appears she isn't interested.

If anyone who lives around Tampa feels like buying it and shipping it to me let me know!
    Otherwise someone ought to scoop it up for themselves. The bowl does need a repair but it's a nice looking instrument.

Herv

Default Re: Vega bowlback in the Tampa area

Really cool case, too. That's $20 less than I paid for mine with no case and more wear.
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

That's a nice mandolin, and yes the bowl does need a repair.

But the seller claims : Condition: Used (normal wear)"

A split bowl is not "normal wear", that' s a bit beyond normal wear.

Yeah I guess I didn't fully look at that split. Mine wasn't that bad, the issues are a little more cosmetic.
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

5. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

My interest in this mandolin is that it is the same model as one I recently bought at a yard sale. That mandolin has a perfect bowl but a broken headstock and other neck issues. My thought was to do a neck transplant.

Looks like a style 2. Unless you are very skilled in bowlback surgery you might want to forego the neck transplant and just fix the broken rib and missing inlays on this one. Neck issues are not for the meek IMHO.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Thanks Jim. I'm not the least bit skilled in any kind of surgery, but I know a good luthier. I suspect he would agree with you.

Unfortunately, the owner seems uninterested in communicating with me, so I'm back to thinking about how to repair the one I have.

I lucked out on my style 3 which I bought years ago and it never needed anything except an upgrade to Dogal Calace RW92b dolce strings.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Vega bowlbacks necks are attached via a dovetail joint so a neck transplant is not an impossibility, but would be a big task, not for the feint of heart, as Jim suggests.

Obviously, I can't tell from a single photo, but that back separation on the bowl doesn't look like a catastrophe.

Likely a lot easier repair than swapping necks.

That's a good price. If it were in my neighborhood, I'd probably be very interested.

Even modest Vega bowls are very nice mandolins.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

12. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

I agree, if it was local to me, I'd be checking it out, and probably buying it. It looks worth the price, if it looks as good in person.

14. The following members say thank you to LadysSolo for this post: