Thread: Help with identification Supertone?

Default Help with identification Supertone?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3668.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	785.6 KB 
ID:	207571
    just came inot possession of this mandolin and i can not find one like it anywhere. The label is damaged but i think it may be a supertone. Thanks for any helpClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3625.jpeg 
Views:	50 
Size:	223.3 KB 
ID:	207572

Default Re: Help with identification Supertone?

Quote Originally Posted by Lcgtrplr View Post

Name:	IMG_3668.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	785.6 KB 
ID:	207571
    just came inot possession of this mandolin and i can not find one like it anywhere. The label is damaged but i think it may be a supertone. Thanks for any helpClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3625.jpeg 
Views:	50 
Size:	223.3 KB 
ID:	207572
    It has Kluson Deluxe Tuners

It was made by Harmony- that Supertone label dates it from the late 1920s to 1930. The mandolin has the "Shutt" body shape but is an oval hole. It looks like the headstock may have been given a bit of a makeover. This old Supertone ad shows the Supertone Viol which has the same body shape and an arched top and f holes. You can see it at the bottom right hand side and it was the most expensive mandolin. Your mandolin would have been somewhat less expensive.

Name:	3869637332_ba8e7b9a02_b Sears, Roebuck Supertone Mandolins.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	267.8 KB 
ID:	207573

I don't think your mandolin was made for very long- and in about 1930 Harmony made this "two point" type that was sold as a Supertone in a number of finishes. This one is two labels on from your mandolin- and is about 1933/1934. The labels changed rapidly in the 1930s up until the brand evolved into Silvertone circa 1940. I have just read that you wrote that the mandolin has Kluson Deluxe tuners which confirms the headstock makeover- and newer tuners.

https://reverb.com/uk/item/56560328-...andolin-1920-s

It looks like the top and fretboard may have been stripped along with headstock mods as well.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by NickR View Post
    It was made by Harmony- that Supertone label dates it from the late 1920s to 1930. The mandolin has the "Shutt" body shape but is an oval hole. It looks like the headstock may have been given a bit of a makeover. This old Supertone ad shows the Supertone Viol which has the same body shape and an arched top and f holes. You can see it at the bottom right hand side and it was the most expensive mandolin. Your mandolin would have been somewhat less expensive.

Name:	3869637332_ba8e7b9a02_b Sears, Roebuck Supertone Mandolins.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	267.8 KB 
ID:	207573
    Thanks so much

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    It looks like the top and fretboard may have been stripped along with headstock mods as well.
    Thanks so much..you guys are a wealth of knowledge!!