Thread: Mandola vs Octave Mandolin

Default Mandola vs Octave Mandolin

I have both, and I enjoy both. But they have different uses for me. When I play in a group with strummed acoustic guitars, I think the Mandola works better. It compliments rather competes with the range of the guitar's open chords. (It's range is a super-set of that of the Tenor Ukulele, which I also play.) When I play lead guitar - even when playing chords - I also play in that range to float over the top of the typical rhythm guitarist. The Octave Mandolin covers close to the same range as a guitar in open position. So it sort of competes with the guitar's tonal spectrum (albeit with a different timbre) rather than compliments it. But that very characteristic makes it preferable to me for solo work and for vocal accompaniment. So, it's all good! Just my experience - yours may differ.

Default Re: Mandola vs Octave Mandolin

I have both an octave mandolin and a mandola. I have decided that I like the mandola tuned up a step (DAEB). When I play with a friend that is playing octave mandolin they play well together in that tuning. Besides I like the key of D.
    Dave Schneider

Default Re: Mandola vs Octave Mandolin

How about mandola with octave and no mandolin or guitar. I have a Weber Yellowstone Mandola and a Weber Black Ice Octave ( which I think is the equivalent of a Yellowstone just the special finish) the two compliment each other tonally so well (IMHO).
    I was on the look out for wide nut Yellowstone mandolin but alas they are a rare breed.
    I find guitar arrangements fall easier on the dola than the mando or octave, and sometimes guitars and mandola's can cancel each other out as the sonic space is mutual. I still play mandolin a lot but I am "that guy" who brings a mandola to a bluegrass jam, I brought a flat top octave to an old time fiddle jam once , lets just say the looks were not exactly inviting.

and now for the shameless plug

Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

4. The following members say thank you to tmsweeney for this post: