Thread: Need advice on mandolin purchase

Default Need advice on mandolin purchase

Hello!
    I am new here and seeking advice on a mandolin purchase. I have never played mandolin but I do play classical piano and guitar. I have always wanted to learn mandolin and have decided to take the plunge! I am drawn to the classical repertoire primarily but am open to learning other forms as well. I have learned over the years that if one is going to learn an instrument then a quality one is ideal from the start. I am not a young person and don't want to have to upgrade anytime soon if at all. With that in mind I need advice. I like a less bright and more rounded sound from the instrument. From the small amount I have read, it seems that an A type may be what I seek. My budget is around 1k but I could stretch to 1500. Are there any brands/makers that may fit what I am looking for? What are some things I should look out for? Should I buy new or is used a possibility? What are some reputable shops to buy from? Like guitar, are there different gauge strings? If so, what would you recommend for someone seeking to play classical style? Thank you all for your help. The mandolin is a beautiful instrument and I look forward to getting to know it!
    James

Default Re: Need advice on mandolin purchase

This is a current thread on the same topic by someone with same concerns and price range. Read it and then post further questions here. Also give us a hint on where you live especially if you want advice on where to buy. That helps a lot.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

3. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Jim, I think you forgot to add a link to the post you had in mind.

James, in my opinion, with your budget, used would definitely be a possibility. You can get more bang for your buck buying at the “used” discount. For a less tinny and more classical sound you might look at oval or round sound holes rather than “ff” sound holes. You should keep your eye on the classified section of this site. Also, this site is picky about sponsors and advertisers, the shops who advertise and sponsor this site are trusted sources.

Good luck with your search! You’ve come to the right place to learn about all things mandolin.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

5. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

Blog Entries

You can pretty much play classical on ANY mandolin, bowlback, flat back/cant topped (old Martin or new Big Muddy), arch topped/backed mandolins with oval or FF holes. In fact the Ff holed arch top mandolin was developed for classical music (bluegrass came later). Even with bluegrass, you CAN play it on just about any mandolin even though the sound of a non archtop/back ff instrument is not ideal. Anyone who looks askance at you for NOT using the traditional ff hole archtop/back is just being a clown, in my opinion.

As stated above, used will make your money travel farther. Be sure you can return it if you don't like it. Used mandolins will likely benefit from a set up (adjust the action, neck, bridge placement, etc) and fresh strings.

If you can try an old Martin or old Gibson oval hole instrument (likely a player not an all original one) you may get find one for 1500. Eastman makes nice instruments to my ear as does Big Muddy. Different brands have different build characteistics. Eastmans have narrower feeling V shaped necks. If you can try some at a jam to see what fits your hands, that's best. If not, you gotta buy unseen and unheld. Our cafe sponsors usually allow for returns as do sellers on our classifieds if they mention it (if they don't ask first). You'll likely have to pay the shipping both ways if you return.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

7. The following members say thank you to JEStanek for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    This is a current thread on the same topic by someone with same concerns and price range. Read it and then post further questions here. Also give us a hint on where you live especially if you want advice on where to buy. That helps a lot.
    WhoopsI here’s the link. https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/threads/163964-Oval-Hole-A-model-classical-mandolin-needed
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jamescf View Post
    I like a less bright and more rounded sound from the instrument. From the small amount I have read, it seems that an A type may be what I seek. My budget is around 1k but I could stretch to 1500. Are there any brands/makers that may fit what I am looking for?
    Generally if someone is new to mandolin and not coming from or for bluegrass, I tend to recommend flattop mandolins as a great pick for value. However, I would not describe one as "less bright" or "more rounded" in sound. Perhaps an archtop oval would suit your needs.

What are some things I should look out for?
    A straight neck and evidence of any top sinkage changing the geometry of the instrument due to the years, mileage, or mishandling.

Should I buy new or is used a possibility?
    Mandolins are one of the few things in life believed to improve in quality as they depreciate in price. As long as you trust your ability to evaluate an instrument (and a seller), you'll probably get 30% more out of a used one.

What are some reputable shops to buy from?
    The Mandolin Cafe has a number of sponsors listed at the top of this (Carter, Retrofret, Pava, Sun Valley) as well as other (Morgan, Denver Folklore, The Music Emporium, Elderly, Mandolin World Headquarters, etc.) pages.

Like guitar, are there different gauge strings? If so, what would you recommend for someone seeking to play classical style?
    Gauges depend on the build of the instrument. Most archtops are well-suited to mediums (like D'Addario EJ74's) but flattops can require lights and some bowlbacks extra-lights. And of course there is more than one "classical" style. I tend to associate flatwounds like Thomatik-Infeld with classical playing.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

11. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Based on Jamie's response in post #4 I think it wise to clarify my own response made earlier. First to say that I wholeheartedly agree with what Jamie has said, especially the part about finding an old oval hole Gibson, if possible. Second, to say that my recommendation that you look at oval or round hole mandolins has absolutely nothing to do with how others might perceive of your choices; rather, it was based on your original comment, "With that in mind I need advice. I like a less bright and more rounded sound from the instrument."

While the Gibson F5 was intended as a top line, professional model mandolin for use in orchestra and classical music, it was a departure from centuries of classical mandolin design and sound. It brought improvements in many areas. There are classical mandolinists today who use F5 and F5 clones for classical music. I own only two mandolins at present, an A style and an F style, both with ff soundholes, and I play classical, folk, folk-rock, blues, gospel all on those mandolins. However, generally speaking, oval or round hole instruments have mellower tones and less projection than ff hole instruments. As that is a generalization, examples of exceptions abound.

So in short, who cares more than you about what instrument you choose? You should choose one that feels comfortable to play and produces tones you like to hear. If you seek something "less bright and more rounded" than what you've heard on most < $1,000 instruments, I'd suggest you get your hands on some oval holes just to see if one may better fit the bill.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Gunter For This Useful Post:

Thank you all for the excellent advice contained here. I red the other thread three times, took notes and bookmarked some makers. I can see I have a ways to go but this has all been really helpful. I will update this thread as I bump into questions. Right now I am really liking the Coombe classical flat top. The sound clips on the site sound great. It might be worth it form me to save for something special like that. We will see!!