Thread: 2010 Howard Morris F-Style

Default 2010 Howard Morris F-Style

So this one is up in the classifieds from Gryphon Strings, does anyone here have any information on it? Possibly the previous owner is a part of the cafe? Seriously considering picking it up. Haven't ever played a Morris but have read the good things you all have said on the cafe. Seems like a great looking no frills f-style for the price. Link below for reference.
    https://www.gryphonstrings.com/colle...-mandolin-used

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Default Re: 2010 Howard Morris F-Style

Rookie move
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Oh no, what can of worms have I opened up?

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Lol, I think he means someone else seeing this may beat you to it.

And wow! What a nice looking mandolin!
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Yeah, that's the conundrum of this type of post. You can ask for info about instruments from a specific builder, but when you ask for info about a specific used instrument, you run the risk that Mark mentioned. In general, I get the sense that most people here refrain from swooping in out of a sense of karma and/or guilt. At least they should. Of course, it only takes one who doesn't.

I played that mandolin when I was at Gryphon a couple of weeks ago. Yes, it's "a great looking no frills f-style for the price" --- especially when you factor in $100 for the K&K pick-up. The main drawback of it is that it doesn't have an adjustable truss rod, which is a dealbreaker for some people. That said, I thought that the mando had a lot of pop and clarity in its tone.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

Duplicate post please delete.

Well, lucky for me one of my friends that I've done guitar deals with in the past reached out today about a 1924 Gibson A he'd sell me for $800. It's got a stable top crack that could use repaired, and a stable center seam crack in the back that could use repaired, but he's played it for the last 5 years and the set up stayed solid and the cracks haven't gotten any bigger. So I'm most likely going to go that route.

I have a 2010 Morris hybrid F4. Sonny built it for me. Western red cedar top, maple back, neck and sides. It has gotten better as time goes by. Sonny lives about an hour from me and we usually get together once a month for our Old Time Fiddlers jam. I've played a lot of instruments he's built. They're all good.

I would not worry one bit about not having an adjustable truss rod. Sonny reinforces his necks with a non-adjustable bar. I have 7 guitars, 6 with adjustable truss rods. I've owned some of these over 40 years. I have NEVER needed to adjust the truss rod in any of them.

I think the mandolin in the ad is the best deal I've seen in the $1500 range.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
    I have a 2010 Morris hybrid F4. Sonny built it for me. Western red cedar top, maple back, neck and sides. It has gotten better as time goes by. Sonny lives about an hour from me and we usually get together once a month for our Old Time Fiddlers jam. I've played a lot of instruments he's built. They're all good.

I would not worry one bit about not having an adjustable truss rod. Sonny reinforces his necks with a non-adjustable bar. I have 7 guitars, 6 with adjustable truss rods. I've owned some of these over 40 years. I have NEVER needed to adjust the truss rod in any of them.

I think the mandolin in the ad is the best deal I've seen in the $1500 range.
    A classic and widespread symptom of bad engineering is to make things adjustable when either they don’t need to be, or because a feature might appeal to customers, or, worst, if making something destined for government purchase. It’s pretty clear that an adjustable truss is a cogent sales feature, even if seldom actually used, and probably more often misused.

Here russian mandolin player Olga Egorova plays her Morris F5 wich I sold her 12 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD4VY3GB2nA
    Anatoly
    From Russia with Love!!!