Thread: "ping" sound on open E string only

Default "ping" sound on open E string only

The right hand (when looking at the mandolin from in front) E string just makes this sound, Sounds fine when fretted though, and the other E is fine open and fretted. What should I do?

PS - I had a sprained wrist & couldn't play for a while, just now took it out of the gigbag after 4 weeks. As far as I remember the problem wasn't there before (wrist injured like a week after I got the mando, which is a "The Loar" 310F-BRB).

(I'm sure this has come up before but can't think how to search precisely.)

Default Re: "ping" sound on open E string only

Golly, 79 views and nobody has any suggestions? Or references to previous discussions?

If you live in Chicago could this be a humidity issue (or more precisely, lack of humidity). I recently had to raise the action slightly on my Gibson A1 because it got too low and was buzzing a little. Lack of humidity and a slightly high fret? I would try to raise the action on the treble side in very small increments and see if it clears up.
    Richard

Eastman 305
    Gibson A1 (1919)
    Martin D16 guitar
    Great Divide Guitar (Two-Old-Hippies)
    OME 11" banjo (1973)
    Pisgah 12" banjo

I'm certainly not an expert, but I would try cleaning the nut slot and the bridge slots first. May be accumulated gunk.

Next I would try taking a nut file and lightly - VERY LIGHTLY - running it through the E string slots.

Others more knowledgeable than I will chime in, but this would be my first level of attack.

Tune it down and up a few times. When they sit the string can stick in the nut. You could also look and see if the slot is clean or has gunk in it. If it still does it the nut slot may be too tight.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by LKN2MYIS View Post
    I'm certainly not an expert, but I would try cleaning the nut slot and the bridge slots first. May be accumulated gunk.

Next I would try taking a nut file and lightly - VERY LIGHTLY - running it through the E string slots.

Others more knowledgeable than I will chime in, but this would be my first level of attack.
    That pretty much covers it. The description of the problem points directly to the nut slot. Cleaning it is the first thing to try, followed by a little filing with an appropriate file if there is enough string height to allow that. If the string is too low, filing can lead to buzzing, and then the slot must be repaired or the nut replaced.

7. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

You may just want to try changing your strings. If it’s been a while, this may do wonders..

Thank you everybody!