Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The new Nickel Creek Album

Default The new Nickel Creek Album

Hot take: too much Thile. Odd time signatures and phrasing, unintuitive chord progressions, a lot of lyrics about spirituality, sin, and redemption. Stuff that I know will reward repeated listening but it's going to be a lot of goshdarned work.

And maybe it's not even fair to blame all on Chris. All the songs are credited to him, Sara, Sean, and Mike Elizondo (El-i-ZONNN-do!) equally.
    Last edited by BadExampleMan; Mar-25-2023 at 3:43am.

Default Re: The new Nickel Creek Album

Of the three numbers I've listened to on YT two seemed more like Punch Brothers (CT dominance, yes). Pre-order is coming in a couple days, and got tix for a show this summer, hopefully a good mix of old and new.

Thile leans even more to the dramatic.
    I did enjoy "Despite the Weather", reminded me a little of Appalachian Waltz or some of the O'Connor, Meyer and Ma adventures in music.

Nickel Creek is really a harmony vocal band that (in an amazing coincidence) just happens to be made up of virtuosi string players.

What people will be talking about is the harmony on tunes like "Celebrants" and "Failure isn't forever".

Beautiful music, but a little on the Pop side for me, but I am just an old grump, "back in my day they played real music, grumble grumble"

Hopefully it will spark enough interest in acoustic music to grow the genre and push even higher boundaries.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

Blog Entries

I've not gotten it yet but, NC is far more pop than traditional in their songs. That fits with the tone of their output. That's their brand. SO none of these descriptions of the music surprises me. I'm looking forward to it.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Paste Magazine gave it a stellar review.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/music/...ebrants-review

Quote Originally Posted by M19 View Post
    Of the three numbers I've listened to on YT two seemed more like Punch Brothers (CT dominance, yes). Pre-order is coming in a couple days, and got tix for a show this summer, hopefully a good mix of old and new.
    I also got the email saying that my pre-order has been shipped, and I also got tix for a show this fall.

I also agree that those three songs seem more like 2023 PB than 2003 NC. For me, the sweet spot in the Nickel Creek chronology was Why Should the Fire Die? They were clearly breaking new ground, and the songs had a lot of feeling to them musically.

As much as I really want to enjoy the Punch Brothers, I find myself only appreciating them, and I see Nickel Creek heading in the same direction. Although Sara's singing keeps getting stronger and stronger, and the musicianship of all three is going beyond existing adjectives, I often felt on those three songs like I was listening to intellectual exercises. I'm assuming that NC released the songs that they felt would get the most people interested in the album, but I'm really curious to listen to the remaining songs.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus CA View Post
    ...I often felt on those three songs like I was listening to intellectual exercises. I'm assuming that NC released the songs that they felt would get the most people interested in the album, but I'm really curious to listen to the remaining songs.
    If you felt like the three pre-released songs were mostly intellectual exercises, I suspect you will be disappointed in the rest. I would say they lean even more in that direction.

I've listened to it several times and I'm still not sure how I feel about this record. Generally, I enjoy almost everything CT writes (even the songs that most would consider inaccessible). The tone of the instruments is great and there are some really cool musical dynamics (especially in tandem with the lyrics). There are some great melodic moments, but most of the songs seem antagonist toward having any unifying melody.

Listening to this record, I get the sense that NC is more concerned with searching for something deeper lyrically. It kind of works. But also, some of the lyrics just seem a little atypical of NC/CT (maybe this is the Mike Elizondo writing credit influence on all the songs?).

Quote Originally Posted by mixolydia View Post
    If you felt like the three pre-released songs were mostly intellectual exercises, I suspect you will be disappointed in the rest. I would say they lean even more in that direction.
    That's what I figured, since pre-releases are supposed to draw in mass quantities of listeners.

Quote Originally Posted by mixolydia View Post
    I've listened to it several times and I'm still not sure how I feel about this record. Generally, I enjoy almost everything CT writes (even the songs that most would consider inaccessible). The tone of the instruments is great and there are some really cool musical dynamics (especially in tandem with the lyrics). There are some great melodic moments, but most of the songs seem antagonist toward having any unifying melody.
    That last sentence really captures my reaction to their music, as well. However, I want to partially retract my earlier comment, having listened again to "Holding Pattern," which I liked a lot, perhaps because it has nicely unifying melody, harmony, and accompaniment --- which I always saw as the hallmark of Nickel Creek.

This came up in my feed today.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CarlM For This Useful Post:

Doesn't practice enough

I'm disappointed overall too, but it took a lot of listening to A Dotted Line before I grew to like it. Right away it immediately reminds me of all the reasons I stopped listening to Thile's solo records and Punch Brothers stuff - nonsense phrasing and rhythms (to my admittedly unsophisticated ears) maybe with a few words thrown in.

That being said, "Stone's Throw" is great! I hope I grow to like the rest of it. IMO The Arcadian Wild is a further development of what Nickel Creek was in their heyday, so if you've never checked them out I'd recommend it.

12. The following members say thank you to Melt_in_the_Sun for this post:

Got my copy and have listened a few times through. Too much CT (Punch bros.) and not enough Sean IMO. Some truly weird lyrics. From "Thinnest Wall"
    My least favorite place to argue is the museum of art,
    you always seem to linger by the pieces I hate.

OooooKaaaaay.

Have been to busy yet to download the album from my pre-purchase at Bandcamp ($10, my what a deal), so can't comment. But seriously, hard to imagine people, especially here, not liking Punch Brothers, the most creative acoustic band ever. Even if the only song they ever created was "Julep," they should go down in history. But no you've got Angel of Doubt, Familiarity, Movement & Location, No Concern Of Yours, This Is The Song (Good Luck), Rye Whiskey, Little Lights, Three Dots & A Dash, just to start the conversation. And of course CT is the driving force.

Got to see Nickel Creek in Colorado Springs with their last tour. Elephant Revival was the opening band. Only time I've ever seen an opening band get a standing ovation on their first song, and a long ovation at that. Their set tore the place up. I thought to myself, how is Nickel Creek going to live up to that, but they had no problem and left Elephant in the dust. Thile is a genius and has brought other amazing musicians around him to take acoustic instruments into the stratosphere.
    2010 Campanella A-5
    1923 Gibson A2

I got mine LP yesterday & dig it. I agree it sounds a little CT heavy but that doesn't diminish the album for me.
    2020 Northfield Big Mon
    2016 Skip Kelley A5
    2011 Weber Gallatin A20
    2021 Northfield Flattop Octave Mandolin
    2019 Pono Flattop Octave
    Richard Beard Celtic Flattop
    And a few electrics

I listened to the album yesterday while working outside in the yard. There are definitely some catchy tunes there, and I feel like most of the songs that really caught my ears were sung by Sara Watkins ("Thinnest Wall" came to mind). I am curious if she also wrote those songs as well. Definitely looking forward to going back and giving it a few more listens. It's certainly much more accessible than some of the recent PB records for sure.

In any case, I've seen Chris Thile a number of times, and he definitely puts on the most captivating performance each time. Here's someone who really shows how much he put his heart and soul into every piece of music he performs. But having said that, I really can't tell you the last time I really felt like reaching for a Punch Brothers record. I'm in awe of what they are able to do musically, but it just isn't something that I can connect to on a non-intellectual level.

Quote Originally Posted by DCHammers View Post
    But seriously, hard to imagine people, especially here, not liking Punch Brothers,
    Did I say that I didn't like Punch Brothers? I said that I didn't like that the new Nickel Creek album sounded too much like Punch Brothers. This new album does not sound anything like This Side, or Dotted Line or Why Should the Fire Die. One of the great things about CT is that he crosses all sorts of Genres, but I don't want the Bach Trios to sound like Punch Brothers. Same with Nickel Creek.

Here's a lengthy interview with all three band members: https://www.npr.org/2023/03/24/11655...-its-own-world

Thumbs up Re: The new Nickel Creek Album

Quote Originally Posted by M19 View Post
    Did I say that I didn't like Punch Brothers? I said that I didn't like that the new Nickel Creek album sounded too much like Punch Brothers. This new album does not sound anything like This Side, or Dotted Line or Why Should the Fire Die. One of the great things about CT is that he crosses all sorts of Genres, but I don't want the Bach Trios to sound like Punch Brothers. Same with Nickel Creek.
    Not sure if I got a thumbs up emoji, here, but now I see where you are coming from.
    2010 Campanella A-5
    1923 Gibson A2

20. The following members say thank you to DCHammers for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by DCHammers View Post
    But seriously, hard to imagine people, especially here, not liking Punch Brothers, the most creative acoustic band ever. Even if the only song they ever created was "Julep," they should go down in history. But no you've got Angel of Doubt, Familiarity, Movement & Location, No Concern Of Yours, This Is The Song (Good Luck), Rye Whiskey, Little Lights, Three Dots & A Dash, just to start the conversation. And of course CT is the driving force.
    Thanks for the list of songs to check out. I have a couple of PB albums, but only listened to them once. This will give me a more targeted exploration of their music.

Quote Originally Posted by Clement Barrera-Ng View Post
    I listened to the album yesterday while working outside in the yard... Definitely looking forward to going back and giving it a few more listens. It's certainly much more accessible than some of the recent PB records for sure.

In any case, I've seen Chris Thile a number of times, and he definitely puts on the most captivating performance each time. Here's someone who really shows how much he put his heart and soul into every piece of music he performs. But having said that, I really can't tell you the last time I really felt like reaching for a Punch Brothers record. I'm in awe of what they are able to do musically, but it just isn't something that I can connect to on a non-intellectual level.
    I agree about the new NC album! I've listened to it once, and definitely plan on listening to it some more. There were a few times where I thought it was getting into serious PB territory, but then they re-established their own identity.

You totally captured my general feelings about PB music and answered DC's opening statement. Yes, the Punch Brothers make music that is incredibly brilliant and creative, but I just don't enjoy it that much. (BTW, you could have an interesting debate about whether "the most creative acoustic [leaving out jazz] band ever" was the Punch Brothers or the original David Grisman Quintet.) And yes, Thile in concert is a total force of music!

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marcus CA For This Useful Post:

I enjoyed this this fellow’s comments about Strangers.

Pava S/N 21
    Calace Bowlback

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter Coronado For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

NC and CT are always conversation starters here. Since they are never just repeating the same sounds that can either invigorate or dismay listeners. I really enjoyed watching the video where Mr. Torres is reacting to a first hear of them. I'm right there with him. I think this tune sounds very much like a NC song. I need to get my copy.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

26. The following members say thank you to JEStanek for this post:

Marcus, To fully appreciate "Angel of Doubt," check out this live performance. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PibO0h7Hrg
    2010 Campanella A-5
    1923 Gibson A2

I'm looking forward to checking it out. Does Mike Elizondo play bass on the album? That's a big plus if so. He is not in the videos I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Slim View Post
    I'm looking forward to checking it out. Does Mike Elizondo play bass on the album? That's a big plus if so. He is not in the videos I've seen.
    Yes, Mike Elizondo on the album. Jeff Picker is the bass player in the videos and is touring with them.

30. The following members say thank you to jefflester for this post:

After listening to the album a few more times on a long road trip, there are a few more songs that have grown on me (New Blood, Stone's Throw, To the Airport). But there are still quite a few lyrical/melodic moments that are off-putting to me (this is probably entirely personal).

To the Airport is "cute", I guess when it seems to be about the struggles of parents getting young kids through the airport and venting at "the system" while simaltaneously appreciating the difficult job of the security/airline workers. But then it turns into some kind of rant about businessmen? The Meadow has a cool mandolin lick and is also lyrically "cute"...but the whole dream sequence section just feels over-the-top to me. Failure Isn't Forever...ugh...how do I even describe this one? Cheesy pep-talk at a High School convocation? Title of a featured self-help book at B&N? Far too many platitudes in this song for me to enjoy it. And Hollywood Ending is just awful--let us never discuss it again. I'm not sure what they were going for with that one.

I just realized I started out by saying the album has grown on me a bit and then went on to give only criticisms. That's kind of the effect this album has had on me. "Oh, that's really cool what they do there!!!--but then--Why did they have do that???" My wife, who is not a musician at all but has been a big Nickel Creek fan for as long as I've known her, makes me turn off this album whenever I start playing it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Coronado View Post
    I enjoyed this this fellow’s comments about Strangers.
    Do you mean where he says: "Oh! Mandolin."
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....