Thread: Montana Lutherie

Default Montana Lutherie

I just did have my 1st experience and complete my initial transaction with Montana Lutherie and I have to say it was a totally satisfactory experience. I'd been shopping around for quite some time and I'd made about a half dozen offers either at the Cafe or at Reverb and none were accepted. Some were countered but I wanted to stay in a particular dollar range. I saw the Big Horn 2 point Bruce had for sale here, however I already have a nice Kelley 2 point.
    I went to the Montana Lutherie website and saw an Arches A style with F holes, that looked pretty nice. I'd always read really great stuff about Chris Baird's builds, so I contacted Bruce by both email and phone call. He called me back. The Mandolin needed a refret and he contacted the seller for me and the seller dropped the price enough so that Bruce could do a refret (Gold Evo Fret Wire), plane the fret-board, replace the nut (Bone) and do a setup and stay within what I could afford to pay.
    So I now own Arches #9 (2005).
    I got to talking to Bruce the 2nd time he called, about the farm and everything, and Mary Weber wound up shipping my wife some soap she makes. I plan on buying some Cherries this coming Harvest season.
    I attached a Photo of the mandolin right from the Montana Lutherie web site. The Arches looks really good and the sound is terrific. I like a loud mandolin and it is definitely that. The low end is really strong and the high end just rings like a bell. It's really well built. James tailpiece, Mahogany binding and a one piece maple back.
    Plus Bruce did a wonderful job on his end.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arches9B.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	672.1 KB 
ID:	206745  
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bill Kammerzell For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Montana Lutherie

Bruce and Mary Weber are the absolute best people. Bruce has done a few jobs for me and I just love the guy! Great to talk to on the phone and is so open about sharing all aspects of their life. Including the cherries!

BillyClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6887.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	732.7 KB 
ID:	206746

ps, This is my always gigging mandolin and the one I usually grab first here at home.
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Billy Packard For This Useful Post:

Couldn't agreed more Bill. Bruce and Mary are just wonderful and exemplary people. You probably remember I have a Silverangel Econo A. I ended up sending it to Bruce a couple years ago and he totally transformed it - new frets, new bridge, new nut and a great setup. Now it plays like butter!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clement Barrera-Ng For This Useful Post:

The Webers are great! Both Mary and Bruce have been wonderful on both purchases and sales of instruments. Montana Lutherie would be my first stop if I were looking for an instrument. I had to stay away while that Archtop guitar was there though .... so very tempting.
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

8. The following members say thank you to Ryk Loske for this post:

Another vote of confidence for Montana Lutherie. I was eyeballing a Weber Yellowstone but once I contacted Bruce it has been sold. He told me I should consider the 2012 Gallatin he had as he thought the tone was better than the Yellowstone. I didn’t like the chocolate color and it had been beat up pretty good which didn’t bother me as much. Sound and playability were most important so I made an offer the owner accepted. Best decision I ever made! It’s incredibly loud and in his advice I play John Pearce heavy strings. I now own a Hinde Heritage which is everything you could hope it would be but I can’t imagine ever selling the Weber. Hinde stays home and the Gallatin is by my side when outdoors. There is nothing better than a beer, some sunshine and practicing on my Gallatin! If Bruce tells you a mandolin has good tone you’d better listen!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HappyChad For This Useful Post:

Bruce does great work. I sent him a truss rod cover to customize with some inlay work and it turned out really well. My wife had an antique bracelet that a piece of abalone fell out of and I sent that to Bruce - he fixed that too! A very talented guy! Oh yeah, he can also make mandolins!

12. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by HappyChad View Post
    Another vote of confidence for Montana Lutherie. I was eyeballing a Weber Yellowstone but once I contacted Bruce it has been sold. He told me I should consider the 2012 Gallatin he had as he thought the tone was better than the Yellowstone. I didn’t like the chocolate color and it had been beat up pretty good which didn’t bother me as much. Sound and playability were most important so I made an offer the owner accepted. Best decision I ever made! It’s incredibly loud and in his advice I play John Pearce heavy strings. I now own a Hinde Heritage which is everything you could hope it would be but I can’t imagine ever selling the Weber. Hinde stays home and the Gallatin is by my side when outdoors. There is nothing better than a beer, some sunshine and practicing on my Gallatin! If Bruce tells you a mandolin has good tone you’d better listen!
    Bruce put John Pearce Heavy on the Arches I purchased thru him.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

Blog Entries

Enjoy. When think of Bruce and Mary (and their various companies) well built quality instruments and superb customer relations/service is what comes to mind from my experiences.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I've talked with Bruce many times, purchased from him, gotten advice on DIYwork, and am planning to have him do work on two unique instruments (Mix NewMAD oval-hole F-style with scroll, Walt Kuhlman Gypsy Music 10-string) to fix and polish them up.

Both Bruce and Mary are treasures!
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

16. The following members say thank you to Explorer for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Packard View Post
    Bruce and Mary Weber are the absolute best people. Bruce has done a few jobs for me and I just love the guy! Great to talk to on the phone and is so open about sharing all aspects of their life. Including the cherries!

BillyClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6887.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	732.7 KB 
ID:	206746

ps, This is my always gigging mandolin and the one I usually grab first here at home.
    Nice! Cherries were fantastic this year!
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

18. The following members say thank you to Bill Kammerzell for this post:

Bruce does great work!
    2020 Northfield Big Mon
    2016 Skip Kelley A5
    2011 Weber Gallatin A20
    2021 Northfield Flattop Octave Mandolin
    2019 Pono Flattop Octave
    Richard Beard Celtic Flattop
    And a few electrics

20. The following members say thank you to urobouros for this post:

The cherries WERE fantastic this year!

Agreed. Bruce and Mary are some the nicest folks you will ever meet. Bruce has done a lot of work on our personal instruments in the past and it was always a joy to visit with him and Mary in the old School House building in Logan, MT. I have yet to visit in their new location but hope to in the fall.

[QUOTE=Bill Kammerzell;1899672]I just did have my 1st experience and complete my initial transaction with Montana Lutherie and I have to say it was a totally satisfactory experience.

Bruce dialed in my Gallatin and my Absaroka while my wife and I watched and chatted. It is clear to me he is a master of his trade. And that is an understatement... He's the best.