Thread: Kissimmee Fl mandolin hire or borrow

Default Kissimmee Fl mandolin hire or borrow

Hi Everyone,

I'll be on holiday in Kissimmee FL from 28th March to 13th April, and I can't fit my mandolin in our flight luggage (says my wife). Apparently our holiday home is without any musical instruments for evening entertainment (bad choice, eh?). So I'm wondering if any local Mandolin Cafers would like to help out an Englishman abroad and hire me a mandolin for a couple of weeks!

I could buy a cheap one and get it delivered, but that'd set me back at least $110 according to my searches on Amazon or eBay, and I'd have to leave it behind - which is a touch extravagant. So for a few dollars fewer I'm in the market for a short term hire.

I guess this is a long-shot, not to say a bit cheeky, but nothing ventured......

Richard

Default Re: Kissimmee Fl mandolin hire or borrow

Times that I have flown I have simply put the mandolin in the overhead bin as a carry on.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

3. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

I always carry on a mandolin along with 2 little kids and all their crap and it works out…

You may have better luck placing this as a want add in the classifieds. More people will probably see it. I’m not familiar with that area but another option may be to rent from a local music store, or, if there’s a Guitar Center close enough you could buy there but return it before you head home (their return policy is usually 45 days, and even if they charge a “restocking fee” it won’t be too onerous.

Good luck, and enjoy your trip!
    Chuck

6. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

If it was your business would you want someone doing that to you? If you want a cheap mandolin to travel with simply buy one.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

If you google "Kissimmee musical Instrument Rental," you'll find a number of options in or near Kissimmee. At least one has a number of mandolins for sale. They do have rentals, so might rent a mandolin.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

Large suitcase, pack tee shirts around the mando and pack it diagonally in the center of everything else. I’ve done it on a few extended times away from home. Maybe you should pack your own bag instead of taking your wife’s word for it.

CAUTION: may result in domestic strife.
    Girouard A
    Silverangel A
    Eastman 615

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

I carry on my mandolin in a soft gig bag and slide it under the seat in front of me. No problem. Just make friends with your seat mates.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

You are limited to X carryon's, the mandolin can be one of those, and fits in the overhead. No problem.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    If it was your business would you want someone doing that to you? If you want a cheap mandolin to travel with simply buy one.
    I don’t disagree with you and have never done this myself, but that’s their policy. Just presenting all the options.

If I fly with an instrument I make it the only thing I have to put overhead and pay a little extra to board with group 4 or higher so there will always be enough overhead space. I also have a small tele style Fanner emando that fits great in a duffle bag. A tomato paste can amp and a cable, and I’m all set for quiet or slightly loud practice.
    Chuck

“ You are limited to X carryon's, the mandolin can be one of those, and fits in the overhead. No problem.”

Agree. I have flown all over the US, Mexico, the Bahamas, and China (twice). Always bring a mandolin.
    Adhere to the number of carryon’s, don’t be annoying, you should be fine.

Kirk

I almost always fly in US and Europe with a mandolin.
    Most often in the overhead, a few times (traveling for work) in a big suitcase.
    Never had any issues.

Buy the $110 mandolin. You could easily spend as much on T shirts and other souvenir crap in Florida. You could likely persuade your wife to allow bringing it home,
    Unless you have a bunch of mandolins cluttering up the house, then just hand it off to somebody or donate it
    If you spent an hour a day playing it while on vacation, it’s still cheap entertainment.
    Last edited by Ed McGarrigle; Mar-26-2023 at 9:10am.