Thread: Gibson F5G

Default Gibson F5G

I'm a rank beginner. I've been using my sons Loar. A 2009 F5G came up on Craigslist. It has some cosmetic issues. Structurally it looks sound. I haven't seen it yet but if I can buy it right is it a good instrument? I understand that the F5G is an F5 with fewer adornments. What is their reputation?

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: Gibson F5G

Yes, an F-5G is an F-5 with plainer appointments.
    Some have very narrow, U-shaped necks with steep sides that may be comfortable to some players, but uncomfortable to others. So make sure the neck is comfortable to you before pulling the trigger.

From around 1999 to 2002, Flatiron Performers were essentially the same as F5-G's, and they can be found occasionally used for good prices.

Yes, an F5G should make you a very good mandolin. As long as the price accounts for the cosmetic issues you mention. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Adam

I would make sure you get a handle on usual sale prices for that model. If it's the one I think it is (also listed here) the price seems high, especially for one that's been written on.

I’m assuming it’s the same instrument but I don’t see it. When was it listed? I agree if the asking price is the same as on Craig’s it is way high. The signatures make it a crap shoot that they can be removed and even if removed I suspect there will be a ghost image.

Found it. It is the same Mando. Any thoughts on value?

The price is actually more than a 2022 Danny Roberts signed F5G that is in the classifieds. It's also more than a custom model F5G that's in the classifieds that is listed at the Mandolin Store. Why pay a premium for two signatures you're trying to remove anyway?
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

9. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

newton 

Totally agree. Any thoughts on reasonable value? I’m thinking the fair value if I’m good to excellent shape +\- 5000-5500. With the problems of the signatures and the chips to the back I’m thinking in the 3000 range. Thoughts?

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

In the price range of an F-5G you have a ton of instruments that are really nice. To me it would boil down to playing/trying out as many instruments that you can and form an educated opinion about the sound that you like to follow and then purchase the respective instrument.

Places to see more than one brand of instrument would be at your local/favorite jam session (asking fellow musicians nicely to let you try out their instrument), Elderly Instruments (allthough I do not see as many interesting mandolins any more), Carter Vintage, Gruhn guitars, The Mandolin Store, Retrofret, Grypon Strings, The Music Emporium, Greg Boyd's. That´s a road trip worth of shops in the USA.

Your taste will dictate the choice. My son likes my Strad-O-Lin better than my expensive F-5 style mandolin (because of the vintage vibe and tone).
    Olaf

I don't know what the value would be, but for me, signatures would reduce the value considerably.

13. The following members say thank you to newton for this post:

Blog Entries

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1582.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	206783Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1579.jpeg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	206784Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1589.jpeg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	206785Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1591.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1,004.2 KB 
ID:	206786Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1590.jpeg 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	206787
    I own and enjoy my Gibson F5G. It is a David Harvey-era build from 2015. It sold for $4,995. I have owned a number of $2-4,000 mandolins. It is a traditionally structured F-5 mandolin. It has a flat fretboard, a V-neck profile and is an excellent bluegrass mandolin. I don't mind the V-shaped neck or flat fretboard, though I have big hands with long fingers. I fancy the classic Gibson nature of it. It is a strong Gibson example, though it is not a high-end Gibson model. It has a beautiful nitro finish with highly flamed maple and an Adirondack top. Both the Grover tuners and tailpiece that is stamped "Gibson" are silvered and it sports a "The Gibson" logo with the flower pot inlay on the peghead. The lack of binding on the back and corners is barely missed. I think an excellent or excellent minus quality F5G should come for between $4900 and $5,200. I prefer this Gibson version over other domestic F5 options with more embellishment. I like a traditional Gibson bluegrass mandolin. If you would too, you will love it. If you want a US-made F5 with a radiused board, a round neck profile, and more binding on the fretboard and back, you can find that in the same $5,000 price range (IMHO, Northfield mandolins are equal to the US domestic products). I hope this helps.
    Last edited by lflngpicker; Mar-26-2023 at 7:24pm.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Quote Originally Posted by lflngpicker View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1582.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	206783Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1579.jpeg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	206784
    You did a great job lighting those photos to make the flame stand out beautifully-- too bad you can't play that mandolin with the back facing the audience because it's gorgeous!

16. The following members say thank you to KEB for this post:

The F5G model was built with an ebony fret board up until approx. 2015, at which point they changed to a rosewood fret board. Some people care about this and some don"t.

18. The following members say thank you to Hudmister for this post:

Blog Entries

Thanks, Keb! So kind!
    2014 BRW F5 #114

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hudmister View Post
    The F5G model was built with an ebony fret board up until approx. 2015, at which point they changed to a rosewood fret board. Some people care about this and some don"t.
    Hudmister, I agree. I like the look of ebony better. I can't tell any difference in sound or playability.
    2014 BRW F5 #114

21. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

Blog Entries

I have a correction on the specs for my 2015, F5G. I have reason to believe that my top is Sitka spruce. I love the woody chop and tone.
    2014 BRW F5 #114