Thread: Nylon String Tenor What gauge strings

Default Nylon String Tenor What gauge strings

So I built myself a Tenor guitar designed to use nylon strings and I've picked what strings I thought might be good for GDAE tuning but I don't think it is quite right, just not quite how i thought it would sound..

It's a 23" scale and I like GDAE but would consider CGDA or some other in 5th's tunings If I could get some stings I was happy with..

Any suggestions from all you more experienced players than me???

Thanks

Kerry

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

Default Re: Nylon Sting Tenor What gauge strings

Yes it is not that easy to get the right feel and sound, a lot will depend on the guitar build like top thickness and bracing.
    With standard classical guitar strings you could try 48w 32w 20w 28p but if you use flattwounds the sound will be a lot more crips and loader too.
    Thomastik all wound strings are fantastic in my opinion, they work on standard tenor or classical tenors 38 31 18 10 all steel wound ball end designed for full size classical guitars but….. expensive!
    I have a sound check on my own built classical mahogany 21” scale tenor (sorry it is out of season but it is all i have to hand)

Default Re: Nylon Sting Tenor What gauge strings

Thanks for the reply!

If I could get a sound similar to yours I'd be happy. What strings are you using? I know you are about 2" shorter scale than mine..

FYI mine is Claro Walnut with a Redwood top, fan braced.. I'll do some testingand see if the Thomastik's are available around me..

Thanks again..

Kerry

Quote Originally Posted by fox View Post
    Yes it is not that easy to get the right feel and sound, a lot will depend on the guitar build like top thickness and bracing.
    With standard classical guitar strings you could try 48w 32w 20w 28p but if you use flattwounds the sound will be a lot more crips and loader too.
    Thomastik all wound strings are fantastic in my opinion, they work on standard tenor or classical tenors 38 31 18 10 all steel wound ball end designed for full size classical guitars but….. expensive!
    I have a sound check on my own built classical mahogany 21” scale tenor (sorry it is out of season but it is all i have to hand)

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

Default Re: Nylon String Tenor What gauge strings

These
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	72E63768-60C7-44F0-A26F-BDACE46D99D9.jpeg 
Views:	63 
Size:	316.5 KB 
ID:	206669

Default Re: Nylon String Tenor What gauge strings

Just to close the loop on this I found a place that sells singles of the Thomastik so ordered some and they arrived today. So far I'm very happy with them so thanks for the recommendation!!

6. The following members say thank you to kwerry for this post:

fox