Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Mandolin under 1500

Default Best Mandolin under 1500

I’ve done a bunch of searches but what I find seems to mostly be dated. I’m looking for just a great sounding mandolin under 1500. If above that price a little got me something a lot better I could increase the budget. I like the F styles but if I can get a superior A then that’s probably worth it. The cost of the instruments seems to keep rising so fast. I owned a fender mando in the past and it was awful. I mostly play guitar but feel like I need a mandolin in my collection. Thanks in advance for the help.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Best Mandolin under 1500

So many good choices within your budget. I think you would really do well to go to a music store that has a selection and poke around a bit. See what sound you like, what playability you prefer.

If you have no music store with a decent selection where you live, I would suggest you avail yourself of that increased budget and take a trip to somewhere that does have a selection. The pay back on that trip will be worth it.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

3. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Thanks for the response I’m close to Denver. Most of the shops just have Eastman and Northfield the later definitely seem nice but always seem to be out of range. I was hoping to find a decent deal on something used and preferably a step up from Eastman.

You may be able to find a Flatiron A. The later ones, around 98 onward were build in the same shop with the same materials as the Gibsons. I haven’t played as many of the mid 90s but they are good too. I would just make sure it has the elevated fingerboard. I haven’t played too many Silverangels but people seem to like those and you would be able to find an A in your range there too

Awesome I’ll start watching for those in the classifieds and on reverb.

Silverangel for what I’ve played, Sonny Morris based on what I’ve read here from members I respect who’ve owned/own them. If you’ve got to have a scroll Eastman, Kentucky, or maybe a used Morris would be contenders. Audey Ratliff also has some very reasonably priced mandolins out there, and used Rigel A styles as well as US made Breedloves offer yet more options. But, my Silverangel econo staved off MAS for 9 or 10 years, including a trip to sample mandolins in Nashville.

Good luck!!
    Chuck

I picked up an Eastman MD515V right before Christmas and will say it may be the best bang for the buck I've ever purchased in the mandolin world. https://themandolinstore.com/product...md515-varnish/
    Lee Hill

The Silver Angel Econo mandolins get rave reviews here and when they show up in the classifieds they go quickly. Here is Kens website... http://silverangelmandolins.com/SM/

You might reach out to him and see what is available.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

$1500-$1600 used to be the sweet spot for a killer A5 in the used market. I bought more than one Collings MT around that price; got a Pava back in the day for less than $1700 shipped. Now I don't think you can find either for less than 2K.

Having said that, I think prices are coming down a bit and you may be able to find more selections in the used market. Silverangel is a great choice and can still be found for around $1500. Maybe a Kentucky KM900 also. Gryphon just sold a Gibson A5G last night for $1999. And of course definitely one of the Flatiron Performer in A or F style. You may also be able to find a Northfield Model M for under 2K from time to time.

Just be patient and you'll find what you're looking for.

I’m very intrigued by the Silverangel and flatirons. I’ve played the eastmans and like them but was hoping to possibly find something American made. If I could find a Collings for 2k I would definitely jump on that. I will definitely have to be patient I really hope prices are coming down. It seems crazy what some mandolins cost these days. All of your input has been awesome thanks for the advice.

I've got a Bitteroot A5 and it's one of the finest sounding mandolins I've ever played, it's streets ahead of my Fern A5 at a much lower cost.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

I forgot to add that I have a great weekness for F style mandolins.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

F style, I wouldbe having a look at secondhand Webers and you won’t go wrong. Cheers

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

I suggest to check out this feature article: https://www.mandolincafe.com/news/pu...s_001443.shtml

Prices have changed some (for some models) since this was published ten years ago. It is still a great read and an eye opener if you are looking for sound.
    Olaf

16. The following members say thank you to grassrootphilosopher for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hanson View Post
    I forgot to add that I have a great weekness for F style mandolins.

Dave H
    This blond Sonny Osborne F-5 just showed up on Gryphon’s list and right in your price range. They must have read your mind. https://www.gryphonstrings.com/produ...-mandolin-used
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

+1 for Silverangel Econo A. I had mine custom made for that price range. It has definitely staved off MAS and the only other mandolins I own are ones I've built myself and decided to keep.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

Remember, shop with your ears not with your eyes.
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J Mangio For This Useful Post:

Here's a single builder mandolin in your price range. I've heard good things about Walter Johnson but I've never had the chance to play one of his mandolins.
    https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/In...st-Mandolin.gc
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

Blog Entries

I suggest an Eastman MD515.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Eastman does turn out plenty of professional level mandolins.

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiderider View Post
    I picked up an Eastman MD515V right before Christmas and will say it may be the best bang for the buck I've ever purchased in the mandolin world. https://themandolinstore.com/product...md515-varnish/
    That was my first thought - A 515/v.
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

25. The following members say thank you to Dan in NH for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Leyda View Post
    Here's a single builder mandolin in your price range. I've heard good things about Walter Johnson but I've never had the chance to play one of his mandolins.
    I appreciate the link I’m going to do some research it look’s pretty nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hanson View Post
    I've got a Bitteroot A5 and it's one of the finest sounding mandolins I've ever played, it's streets ahead of my Fern A5 at a much lower cost.

Dave H
    Quote Originally Posted by John MacPhee View Post
    F style, I wouldbe having a look at secondhand Webers and you won’t go wrong. Cheers
    I like the couple webers I’ve played I haven’t been able to find many in my budget but I’ll keep looking.

Quote Originally Posted by grassrootphilosopher View Post
    I suggest to check out this feature article: https://www.mandolincafe.com/news/pu...s_001443.shtml

Prices have changed some (for some models) since this was published ten years ago. It is still a great read and an eye opener if you are looking for sound.

I’ll check it out thanks for the link.

https://reverb.com/item/66828968-194...ntent=66828968

Out of these two options which do you guys think would be the better route to go? Or should I keep waiting for something else?