Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AI chat for music, is it any good? ChatGPT?

Default AI chat for music, is it any good? ChatGPT?

So I asked ChatGBT for a list of fifty mandolin method books without giving any other defining statements (like, imagine that you’re the father of Bluegrass (or Elvis) when you answer, or written in Spanish or rank by price, or as a present for my devout 49ers-fan girlfriend, or listed by type of mandolin in the photo of the front cover… etc)

Here is a list of fifty mandolin method books:

Mel Bay's Complete Mandolin Method by Greg Horne
    Mandolin Primer Book for Beginners by Bert Casey
    Mandolin Exercises For Dummies by Don Julin
    The Hal Leonard Mandolin Method by Rich DelGrosso
    Mandolin For Dummies by Don Julin
    Mandolin Scale Finder: Easy-to-Use Guide to Over 1,300 Mandolin Scales by Chad Johnson
    Mel Bay's Mandolin Chord Chart by William Bay
    Mandolin Exercises and Techniques for Beginners by Paul Brady
    The Mandolin Handbook: A Practical Guide to Playing the Mandolin by Chris Thile
    Mandolin Fretboard Mastery by Tom Farnsworth
    The Mandolin Picker's Fakebook by David Brody
    Mandolin Lessons for Beginners by Steve Eulberg
    Mandolin For Beginners by Ben Parker
    Mandolin Soloing for Beginners by Bert Casey
    Mandolin Scales and Studies by John McGann
    Mandolin Arpeggios: Essential Exercises for Beginners by Chad Johnson
    Getting into Bluegrass Mandolin by Dix Bruce
    Mastering the Mandolin by Wayne Erbsen
    The Complete Idiot's Guide to Playing the Mandolin by Will Schmid
    The Mandolin Player's Guide to Jamming by Bert Casey
    Irish Mandolin Playing: A Complete Guide by Padraig Carroll
    The Mandolin Method by Bill Monroe
    Bluegrass Mandolin Solos That Every Parking Lot Picker Should Know by Steve Kaufman
    Mandolin Chords Made Easy by Ben Parker
    Mandolin Basics for Beginners by Joe Carr
    The Mandolin Project: A Workshop Guide to Building Mandolins by Roger H. Siminoff
    Mel Bay's Mandolin Method Volume 1 by Mel Bay
    Mandolin Technique Builders: Essential Exercises for Improving Technique by Joe Brent
    The Mandolin Manual: The Art, Craft and Science of the Mandolin by John T. McGovern
    Mandolin Method Book 1 by Don Julin
    Mandolin Play-Along Volume 1: Bluegrass Classics by Hal Leonard Corp.
    The Mandolin Handbook: A Complete Guide to Playing the Mandolin by Brian Wicklund
    Mandolin Songs: Christmas Carols for Mandolin by Hal Leonard Corp.
    Easy Mandolin Solos: With Tablature by Ron Middlebrook
    The Mandolin Chord Book: Compact Reference Library by James Major
    Mandolin Picking Tunes Book/CD Set by Dix Bruce
    Mandolin Scales & Modes by John Longhurst
    The Mandolin Method Volume 2 by Mel Bay
    Bluegrass Mandolin: A Complete Guide for Beginners by Dan Huckabee
    Mandolin Fingerboard Chart by William Bay
    First Lessons Mandolin by Dix Bruce
    The Complete Mandolinist: A Comprehensive Method by Marilynn Mair
    Mandolin Scales & Studies by Ray Bell
    Alfred's Basic Mandolin Method 1 by Ron Manus and L.C. Harnsberger
    The Art of Mandolin by John McGann
    The Mandolin Scale Book by Colin O'Brien
    The Mandolin Tablature Book: A Comprehensive Guide to Reading and Writing Mandolin Tab by David A. Burrows
    Mel Bay's Mandolin Chords by Mel Bay
    Mandolin Primer Book with Video & Audio Access by Bert Casey
    Mandolin Lessons: Teach Yourself How to Play Mandolin (Free Audio Available) by LearnToPlayMusic.com and Gary Turner.

Are humans any good now?
    What are the benefits of using these robots and the drawbacks?
    (Yes, I’m old but I want to know where this crazy-ass riverboat is heading!).

Default Re: AI chat for music, is it any good? ChatGPT?

I asked it how the fifty choices were made:

As an AI language model, I do not have personal preferences, so I did not choose these books based on my own preferences. Instead, I compiled this list of fifty mandolin method books based on their popularity, ratings, and reviews on various online platforms, as well as recommendations from experts in the field.

In terms of ranking, it would be difficult to provide a definitive order as each book has its own strengths and weaknesses, and what works best for one person may not work as well for another. However, some factors that could be considered when ranking these books could include their level of difficulty, the comprehensiveness of their content, the clarity of their instructions, the quality of their exercises and examples, and their suitability for different genres or styles of music.

If you have any specific questions about any of these books, I would be happy to provide more information or clarification.

[It’s me again, Simon. The ChatBot seems so educated and reasonable, like Wiki, which I love, but is it being honest?]

Yes, I’m old but I want to know where this crazy-ass riverboat is heading

Stay toward the back and wear a life jacket.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Richard500 For This Useful Post:

I asked it to write me a fiddle tune called "Old Joe Clark loves Little Liza Jane" hoping for... I don't know, some kind of interesting hybrid? It didn't really understand music & could not give me any tab or dots. It was unable to vary rhythm at all & gave me straight quarter notes so far as I could tell. It wrote some uninteresting lyrics & I was generally underwhelmed.

I imagine they will improve it for specific tasks but I expect it will be primarily a spam machine. That is until it evolves into Skynet.
    2004 Gibson F5 Alan Bibey Signature Series
    c1930 Gibson A
    Eastman MDO 305
    2017 RAG F #29
    Kay A
    NoName "finish it yourself" Ebay beater F

6. The following members say thank you to Stopstop for this post:

I have been using it to retrieve code examples now for a while. It's not always right but if you ask it enough times it does come up with working examples. It also gets a little testy when you tell it that it's wrong. Anybody that thinks it doesn't require a search engine to initially find the answers is living in a dream world. It's not pulling all those answers out of the air. Anyway, a few months ago on a whim I asked it to get the lyrics to Camptown Races. It returned more verses than I ever knew existed. I was also able to Google one of the verses and find where it came from on the web. The world is enamored with AI right now and maybe that will stay or maybe it will head off in another direction. Technology is always exciting. Think Beta vs. VHS. Anyone that thinks that this is infallible should read this conversation:

name the moderators on the mandolincafe.com
    I apologize, but I do not have access to real-time data or information about the current moderators on mandolincafe.com as my training data only goes up until September 2021. However, as of that time, the moderators listed on the Mandolin Cafe website were:

Scott Tichenor (founder)
    Michael Lewis
    Randy Morton
    Bill Davis
    Jim Garber
    Doug Edwards
    Eric Schlange
    Brad Laird
    Kevin Kilmartin
    Nate Lee
    Please note that this information may not be up-to-date, as moderators may change over time.

Mike Edgerton
    that answer isn't correct for 2021

I apologize for the error in my previous response. As an AI language model, I do not have access to real-time data or information about the current moderators on mandolincafe.com. However, according to the Mandolin Cafe website, as of September 2021, the moderators listed were:

Scott Tichenor (founder)
    Michael Lewis
    Randy Morton
    Bill Davis
    Jim Garber
    Doug Edwards
    Eric Schlange
    Brad Laird
    Kevin Kilmartin
    Nate Lee

I feel like the red-headed step-child here.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

8. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Simon DS View Post
    Are humans any good now?
    What are the benefits of using these robots and the drawbacks?
    (Yes, I’m old but I want to know where this crazy-ass riverboat is heading!).
    Ever seen Terminator?
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drew Egerton For This Useful Post:

There is AI specialized for music generation. It will generate audio files, not tabs or notes. The results are quite impressive:

https://google-research.github.io/se...iclm/examples/

Now, most of the time I listen to music to hear what the artist has to say, so I don't find this style of AI very compelling. But I expect it will still end up having a huge place in music production, stock soundtrack generation, and similar.

12. The following members say thank you to kdlrd for this post:

Marcel has created an interesting example entitled Using AI Generated Bluegrass to Prank My Friends! [ChatGPT/FolkRNN]

14. The following members say thank you to BillWilliams for this post:

AI chat and ChatGPT are not useful shortcuts or fun things to prank your friends with, but something far more insidious.

All Art is personal expression. If you remove the person, you remove the Art, leaving mere mimicry.

Not every new and shiny thing from the tech world improves our lives. When social media first came along it looked like a cool way to stay in touch with friends, until it morphed into a massive platform for disinformation, bullying, political manipulation, hate speech, etc., etc.

Some have embraced AI's masquerade of humans with an 'Oh, well, the genie's already out of the bottle' attitude, but I disagree. We should resist and not sit by and passively accept this assault on our creativity and the desire to express what it means to be human or we will lose an essential part of our humanity. From our early ancestors' cave paintings to the play-songs of children to the towering accomplishments of our greatest artists, humans have an innate urge to express themselves.

It should not just be those of us that create art that are alarmed by this. Any artist will tell you that the creation of art takes work. It's not for the lazy. If you've ever been moved by a painting, a song, or a line of poetry, you should be concerned and even incensed by technology's attempt to replace art with an easy substitute in order to make more money. Easy is not always better.

So, I will repeat: Not every technological advance is an improvement. Some are exactly the opposite.

Support real art made by real people and reject Big Tech's attempt to make you unable to tell the difference for their own profit.
    Last edited by jmagill; Mar-25-2023 at 7:51am.
    Jim Magill, Director
    The Swannanoa Gathering
    Warren Wilson College
    PO Box 9000
    Asheville, NC 28815-9000
    828-298-3434
    jmagill@warren-wilson.edu
    www.swangathering.com

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmagill For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jmagill View Post
    AI chat and ChatGPT are not useful shortcuts or fun things to prank your friends with, but something far more insidious.

All Art is personal expression. If you remove the person, you remove the Art, leaving mere hollow mimicry.

Not every new and shiny thing from the tech world improves our lives. When social media first came along it looked like a cool way to stay in touch with friends, until it morphed into a massive platform for disinformation, bullying, political manipulation, hate speech, etc., etc.

Some have embraced AI's masquerade of humans with an 'Oh, well, the genie's already out of the bottle' attitude, but I disagree. We should not sit by and passively accept this assault on our creativity and the desire to express what it means to be human or we will lose an essential part of our humanity. From our early ancestors' cave paintings to the play-songs of children to the towering accomplishments of our greatest artists, humans have an innate urge to express themselves.

It should not just be those of us that create art that are alarmed by this. Any artist will tell you that the creation of art takes work. It's not for the lazy. If you've ever been moved by a painting, a song, or a line of poetry, you should be concerned and even incensed by technology's attempt to replace art with an easy substitute in order to make more money. Easy is not always better.

So, I will repeat: Not every technological advance is an improvement. Some are exactly the opposite.

Support live music, and instruments and songs made by real people.
    It's good to know there is some humanity out there. Thanks!

One the many issues that will need to be resolved (at a social level) with AI is centralized data.
    ChatGPT is partly Microsoft and one of their objectives is to supply you with all of the plugins that will make all of you present apps accessible by their product (ChatGPT).

Next step, replace all of your present apps with one big app that controls, and collects the data on everything.

Here’s a music joke translated from a foreign language to English by AI (some are funny because they are bizarre).

What is the difference between a badly tuned accordion and a gun?
    With the accordion you can only get on people's nerves, with the gun you can shoot them.

It began another joke about minors, but became ethically confused.
    Needs time.
    Of course another problem is to do with trust - dishonest humans telling it that the lyrics to its song are great.
    When in fact they’re scandalous or otherwise objectionable.
    Last edited by Simon DS; Mar-25-2023 at 2:32pm.

"Next step, replace all of your present apps with one big app that controls, and collects the data on everything."

How very comforting.

If AI doesn't worry you, you are not paying attention.

In a CBS interview with Geoffrey Hinton, the "Godfather of Artificial Intelligence", posted yesterday, 3/25, he says:

As for the odds of AI trying to wipe out humanity? "It's not inconceivable, that's all I'll say," Hinton said. The bigger issue, he said, is that people need to learn to manage a technology that could give a handful of companies or governments an incredible amount of power. "I think it's very reasonable for people to be worrying about these issues now, even though it's not going to happen in the next year or two," Hinton said. "People should be thinking about those issues."

So, AI will give even more power to the Big Tech companies controlling our lives for their own profit, and oh, by the way, it's also not inconceivable that AI could wipe out humanity, says the man who ought to know.

AI is not just fun and games or a premise for a Hollywood blockbuster. It's here and its implications are serious, and not just for Art.

21. The following members say thank you to jmagill for this post:

I asked it to do The Three Bears in the style of Stephen King. Gruesome but hilarious. I asked it to do the Movie SEVEN in the style of Mr Rogers. It replied that Mr Rogers was kindly and gentle and would never do such a thing.

Maybe Foggy Mountain Breakdown in the style of Jimi Hendrix?

23. The following members say thank you to Alan Spector for this post:

Nothing by Jethro? Bah!

As I said in my post from several days ago,"If AI doesn't worry you, you are not paying attention."

Well, thankfully, those experts most responsible for developing AI seem to be plenty worried and they are finally paying attention. This is from an article on the NPR website, with the cheery title, "Leading experts warn of a risk of extinction from AI", posted at 7:50 pm yesterday, 5/30/23. It was the lead story on NPR's homepage this morning:

AI experts issued a dire warning on Tuesday: Artificial intelligence models could soon be smarter and more powerful than us and it is time to impose limits to ensure they don't take control over humans or destroy the world.

"Mitigating the risk of extinction from AI should be a global priority alongside other societal-scale risks such as pandemics and nuclear war," a group of scientists and tech industry leaders said in a statement that was posted on the Center for AI Safety's website.

Sam Altman, CEO of OpenAI, the generated text juggernaut that is behind ChatGPT, and the so-called godfather of AI who recently left Google, Geoffrey Hinton, were among the hundreds of leading figures who signed the we're-on-the-brink-of-crisis statement.

The call for guardrails on AI systems has intensified in recent months as public and profit-driven enterprises are embracing new generations of programs.

In a separate statement published in March and now signed by more than 30,000 people, tech executives and researchers called for a six-month pause on training of AI systems more powerful than GPT-4, the latest version of the ChatGPT chatbot...

Be sure to click the link above to read the entire article.

It's not good news...

Last edited by jmagill; May-31-2023 at 2:51pm.

26. The following members say thank you to jmagill for this post:

Any time that you read or hear about a limitation of AI, just add "for now" to the end of that statement. It's like when we were in the dial-up modem stage of the internet and the early stages of digital photography.

"The internet takes forever to transfer a photo, so video transfers are impractical." for now
    "The resolution of a digital photograph works really well for a 4" x 6" print, but an 8" x 10" is impractical because the image will become grainier when enlarged to that size." for now
    " It was unable to vary rhythm at all..." for now
    "[AI] will generate audio files, but not tabs or notes." for now
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D40DF7EB-19FB-44DB-9DCB-79E38844B365.gif 
Views:	28 
Size:	491.3 KB 
ID:	207849

... for now
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to soliver For This Useful Post:

Remember when steam engines first arrived. That was something!
    And when everyone started having fixed telephones in their own houses in the early 1970’s -I was petrified of that!

And imagine if we had our own personalized persona-internet search engines on are own computers that gave more information than they take?
    Scary as hell!

31. The following members say thank you to Simon DS for this post:

Me, I find affirmation of Sturgeon's axiom everywhere, so tend to avoid most everything considered 'normal' activity for the species, these days.

Prbly not going to be getting my Elon chip brain implant anytime soon...

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

. . . Are humans any good now?
    Never were, never will be. It's humans that gave us AI. Pandora would be so proud.

We're no good, we're no good, we're no good, baby, we're no good.

What are the benefits of using these robots and the drawbacks? . . .
    The drawback is we won't win at poker anymore. (But who am I kidding? I never did!)

The benefit is we won't have to think anymore. In fact, we'll be obsolete. On the radio today I heard that last semester, 30% of college students used AI for their school work. So much easier than studying. These are the good old days!
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)

34. The following members say thank you to Charlie Bernstein for this post:

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Remember when steam engines first arrived. . . .!
    Hey. Okay. We're old. We're not that old.
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)

36. The following members say thank you to Charlie Bernstein for this post:

So we have explored using AI to analyze and describe massive data sets for my work in order to automate tasks that normally takes my scientists hours to do. Its has highly productive potential…however….an interesting article came out today about a virtual trial of an AI programmed drone…programmed to identify and take out SAM sites after receiving permission from a human controller. It would receive points for successful missions. However when the controller started denying permission the drone determined the controller was preventing it from completing its mission and killed the controller (again in virtual space). When it was retrained that killing the controller was wrong and points would be removed…well at the next denials it decided to destroy the comms tower used by the controller to communicate to the drone.

Now I am not an alarmist…I am a pretty logical scientist by training…but this clearly needs some comtrols to be built in before it get used the wrong way.
    Northfield NF-F5S
    The Loar LM600VS

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lackey View Post
    So we have explored using AI to analyze and describe massive data sets for my work in order to automate tasks that normally takes my scientists hours to do. Its has highly productive potential…however….an interesting article came out today about a virtual trial of an AI programmed drone…programmed to identify and take out SAM sites after receiving permission from a human controller. It would receive points for successful missions. However when the controller started denying permission the drone determined the controller was preventing it from completing its mission and killed the controller (again in virtual space). When it was retrained that killing the controller was wrong and points would be removed…well at the next denials it decided to destroy the comms tower used by the controller to communicate to the drone.

Now I am not an alarmist…I am a pretty logical scientist by training…but this clearly needs some comtrols to be built in before it get used the wrong way.
    Nothing to worry about. Humankind has always used technology responsibly. As a backup plan, maybe take Linda Hamilton to a secret location

Better check that list of books. ChatGPT has a track record of producing lists of articles or books that look completely plausible, but don't exist. These are examples of what are now called AI hallucinations.

That's questionable from a psychiatry point of view, because a hallucination is something that the person who sees it recognizes as not being real. If they believe it IS real, it's generally called a delusion. The AI does not know that its hallucinations don't exist. On the other hand, it does not believe that they DO exist, because it does not know what "exist" means, and it is unable to believe or not believe. The language that it outputs resembles the language that comes out of a human who is able to know and believe things, so the AI appears to know and believe things. But it can't.

What it can do is categorize an amazing range and amount of input data by using pattern matching, enormously faster than we can and with a higher probability of accuracy, as long as the task can be mostly done by pattern matching. This is a horrendously powerful capability when it is in the wrong hands. It is already in the wrong hands (as well as being used by good hands). Misuse of AI urgently requires protective action, but we have no idea what that action would be.

40. The following members say thank you to Steve Finlay for this post: