Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AI chat for music, is it any good? ChatGPT?

Default Re: AI chat for music, is it any good? ChatGPT?

Ah well we'll just apply the old myths - technology can fix it; just need some elbow grease and good old *select* know-how; maybe our sense of morality and altruism...; pray to *select* deity; nevermind, *select* deity so ordained the plan..

But we will be entertained.

Profit and power are what drives technology, so of course AI are problematic and will only grow more concerning as they get more sophisticated.

I don't see humanity changing the fundamental nature of industry any time soon, so I think our worries about AI are futile.

Quote Originally Posted by Stopstop View Post
    I asked it to write me a fiddle tune called "Old Joe Clark loves Little Liza Jane" hoping for... I don't know, some kind of interesting hybrid? It didn't really understand music & could not give me any tab or dots. It was unable to vary rhythm at all & gave me straight quarter notes so far as I could tell. It wrote some uninteresting lyrics & I was generally underwhelmed.

I imagine they will improve it for specific tasks but I expect it will be primarily a spam machine. That is until it evolves into Skynet.
    I was playing around with FolkRNN (if you are on there, Convocation Horpipe, Brad Barton's Reel, and The 6th of June are the ones I archived). I decided to ask ChatGPT to write a tune. I have the web browsing version and asked it to use thesession.org and FolkRNN and to give me something in notation. It could not (it only generates text) but it did write me a tune in ABC notation, which I then plugged into a converter. Here is it:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AI Jig.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	207917

Here is The 6th of June, generated by FolkRNN:

Name:	The 6th of June.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	207918

there is too few old time-tested tunes, there is too few humans writing new tunes every day (sweat and labour included), we need more tunes written by computer. no learning to play an instrument, no learning to dance, no learning music, just push a button. the ultimate musak.

I tried and got this one:

X:1
    T:Jangly Jig
    R:Reel
    M:6/8
    L: 1/8
    K:Dm
    |ABA G2B|AGE FED|EFG A2E|C2E G3|
    D2D FED|D2D d2D|FED ^C2D|1B,A,A, A,3:|2A,B,C D3|
    |:G'fe fed|e2c d2A|BBB d2B|BBB e2B|
    G'fe fed|eA'e c2A|EFG c2E|DED D3:|

Quote Originally Posted by Simon DS View Post
    I tried and got this one:

X:1
    T:Jangly Jig
    R:Reel
    M:6/8
    L: 1/8
    K:Dm
    |ABA G2B|AGE FED|EFG A2E|C2E G3|
    D2D FED|D2D d2D|FED ^C2D|1B,A,A, A,3:|2A,B,C D3|
    |:G'fe fed|e2c d2A|BBB d2B|BBB e2B|
    G'fe fed|eA'e c2A|EFG c2E|DED D3:|
    Interesting, yours includes the chord changes:

Name:	Jangly Jig.png 
Views:	32 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	207921

8. The following members say thank you to Franc Homier Lieu for this post:

Thanks Franc.

Oops sorry guys, I accidentally posted a tune that I wrote myself. It’s rubbish, nothing to see, keep walking (and sorry FolkRNN).

https://youtu.be/xjTbmK9G1SQ

(I'm really excited about some of the ways that AI will be able to help in education and research, though I'm not sure how it can help us to be better musicians).
    Last edited by Simon DS; Jun-06-2023 at 12:53pm.

10. The following members say thank you to Simon DS for this post:

Simon, I was playing that tune and I was really, really surprised that GPT had generated it. I am not at all surprised to learn that you wrote it after all. Certainly not rubbish, that's for sure.

12. The following members say thank you to Franc Homier Lieu for this post:

The truly horrific potential of AI-generated music is now clear to me. This should not be able to exist, but with one simple prompt ChatGPT brought this monstrosity into being:

Name:	Twelve Tone Fiddle Tune.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	207922

Blog Entries

The podcast Fresh Air has a thoughtful feature on the subject of Artificial Intelligence with a prominent technology reporter that is worth listening to. It does delve into a bit of music, but is more about a lot of questions raised here and elsewhere.

Could Artificial Intelligence Destroy Humanity?
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Jun-19-2023 at 4:59pm.

Blog Entries

You watch. AI will get to the point where it can be belligerent, like Herman Melville's Bartleby, the Scrivener, where Bartleby, a lawyer's copyist, replies "I prefer not to" to every assignment he is given.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

IMHO this AI thing may be the best thing that has happened to the discussion of various musical themed topics. At least half of the postings that I have read on the various sites have been absolute drivel. Many of them are simply people’s personal preferences or opinions that have zero credibility when examined. Some examples are as follows: Rosewood Vs. Mahogany tone woods, what is the best pick, capo, string, etc., which maker has the best tone and a number more. I personally am quite content to just let these folks talk/argue/discuss their “Dunning–Kruger effect” generated topics with an equally mundane AI chat-bot.

I am old enough to remember what t was like when computers were first introduced to the public. Yes, I had a “computer” with an 80386 processor. There was one statement made back then that I have never forgotten. It was, “garbage in, garbage out”. I have no idea what kind of garbage went into that AI programming, just as I have no idea what the validity of statements 99% of the people posting here and on other message boards have. I do NOT believe that the opinions that AI has is any more valid than a Tic Tok.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Ibanez M-522
    Gold Tone GM 10 Frypan

Blog Entries

I'm now making it a policy not to interact with posts on social medias that use AI to generate artwork. It's just too much stealing from actual artists. My company now has a AI interface to help people with emails or whatever.... pass. I can write a good enough letter of recommendation or rejection. I can write up incidents perfectly well.

I fully expect to have to deal with AI representatives on the phone going forward (which will mean someone here or in a call center abroad) will no longer have a job. With enough adequate effort, I have gotten my Insta and my Tiktok feed to actually provide value from cute animal and fail army vids to excellent cooking and science commentary.

At least the content here is reliably human and stays where we want it.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

20. The following members say thank you to JEStanek for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stopstop View Post
    I asked it to write me a fiddle tune called "Old Joe Clark loves Little Liza Jane" hoping for... I don't know, some kind of interesting hybrid? It didn't really understand music & could not give me any tab or dots. It was unable to vary rhythm at all & gave me straight quarter notes so far as I could tell. It wrote some uninteresting lyrics & I was generally underwhelmed.

I imagine they will improve it for specific tasks but I expect it will be primarily a spam machine. That is until it evolves into Skynet.
    Try asking it to generate ABC notation. I’ve done this, it works ok. Not the best composer but you usually get valid music. I’ve done similar things, asked it to make things more bluesy,change keys, etc. it can deal with ABC fairly well for short things.

AI is a tool nothing more (and still very much in its early stages), like automobiles it has both the potential to greatly relieve humans from monotonous tasks and help show trends and connections we might not easily see, as well the potential to negatively impact humans by manipulating our environment against our wishes, or in the case of automobiles, injure and pollute, constrain economies and so on.

I'm not that old but I remember back on the Asian Steppes when people were first riding horses, they said our legs would wither and become vestigial organs.

My own intelligence has often been deemed inferior to the real thing so, nothing really new here.

AI has great potential for activities like navigation and automation and resource management, monitoring and reporting. In the "create me art" department, I 'm not so sure what is being generated now will even be remembered in a few decades.

I think it will revert back but initially, the guy who was going to write a little love note to his sweetheart may simply ask AI to do it for him, as his own confidence will not be enough, things like that erode at societies but I do not believe they break them.

What is AI now may be remembered as a mere toy in the future, early humans had highly developed stone tool industries that were in practice for thousands of years, and then completely abandoned for new tool making systems, several times over.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

My piano teacher, the late great Olga Von Till, taught me how to phrase music. She wasn't as technical as I'm about to get, but it was basically a few overlapping grids: there was the rhythmic phrasing (1 2 3 4), the melodic phrasing (notes get louder as the musical phrase gets higher, and vice versa), and there were little things like repeated notes (if the second note is on a beat, it's louder than the first; if the first note is on a beat, it's louder than the second). This was like a Shakespearean actor learning to enunciate correctly – you have to get all this control down (where each note has a specific volume, duration, timing, tone) before you can start emoting. It's like, say whatever you want to say, but pronounce the words correctly.

So, at any rate, I have a clear enough picture of how notes should be phrased that I can take a play-back program like Sibelius and tweak each note (volume, start position and duration) until my teacher would have be satisfied.

It's a lot of work, however, and I read some reviews of Note Performer, "the Artificial Intelligence-based playback engine for musical notation", and downloaded a trial version. Supposedly, it had analyzed hundreds (or thousands, I forget) of works by people like Beethoven and John Williams etc, and based on this it could add natural phrasing to Sibelius's playback. Gave it and try, and, um, no. If my teacher had heard me phrase like this, she'd have rapped my knuckles.

It reminded me of when I had worked with a soundman, very talented at doing sound but not very musical, and he had randomized the playback volume of a sampled/midi-controlled snare drum track (this was Cirque du Soleil, lots of tracks involved) because "no one hits the snare drum the same way every time". I had to point out to him that it felt all wrong, that drummers hit the snare at different volumes because they're phrasing, and that his randomization had resulted in notes that were quiet when they normally would have been louder, and vice versa etc.

My conclusion is that it's not the fault of the Note Performer AI program – what they claim it can do certainly could be possible. It's the fault of those who put their trust in the program, without having the credentials or ability or talent to tell if it's actually accomplishing what they claim that it's able to accomplish. Seems to me that the folks creating (and selling) this are combing ignorance with faith in technology – not a good mix.

I suspect that this is not the only example.
    mando scales
    technical exercises for rock blues & fusion mandolinists
    mp4 backing tracks & free downloadable pdfs

24. The following members say thank you to Jim Bevan for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bevan View Post
    combing ignorance with faith in technology
    combining ignorance with faith in technology sorry
    mando scales
    technical exercises for rock blues & fusion mandolinists
    mp4 backing tracks & free downloadable pdfs

you must work in IT too,
    how come it won't do it what I want it to do instead of what I instructed it to do?
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by tmsweeney View Post
    you must work in IT too,
    how come it won't do it what I want it to do instead of what I instructed it to do?
    I’m not in IT per se - but in Web Dev, writing code, I know the sentiment all too well!
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff