Thread: Amplification..

Default Amplification..

I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death, but being relatively new to mandolin, what are your favorite/preferred methods and specific recommendations for amplifying your mandolins for live performance? As a lifelong acoustic guitar player I'm pretty up to speed on what some of the current likes/preferences are for nice Martins, but for my Big Mon?

I know there are external mics that clip onto to the tailpiece or F holes (such as Meyers), and then there are installed pick ups such as K&Ks. What else? I don't anticipate playing super loud environments; natural tone of course is the holy grail. Suggestions?

P.S. whatever I end up choosing I'll run it through a preamp of some kind (I have a Redeye and a Headway), then into a PA.

Default Re: Amplification..

DPA 4099 - lesser microphones are available!

My Big Mon has a JJB pickup installed. I play it through a Red Eye preamp and into a Fishman Loudbox Artist amp. I’m very happy with the sound.

I have a K&K and RedEye and get compliments about my sound. My installation is not standard tho. I like the tape for a warmer sound, but didn't trust it, so super glued tape to the P/U, glued tape to the tape on the P/U, then glued the final tape to the top. A warmer sound, and it really sounds like my mandolin. More work to install, but worth it to me.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Schertler DYN-M stuck to top with putty below bass side of bridge and then run into an XVive 48V phantom power box zip tied to my mic stand. After that, you treat it like a vocal input into your amplifier or PA, using an XLR cable. As a contact mic it sounds great and doesn't have that piezo quack. Have had many compliments on my sound.

https://xvive.com/audio/product/p1-p...phantom-power/

Benefit is that I put it on the mandolin only when performing and nothing is permanently attached to the top or underside of the sound board.

https://www.schertler.com/en-US/musi...anjo/dyn-m-p48

When I bought the DYN-M, it was around $450 plus $50 for the XVive box, so $500 for a contact mic and phantom power that can be attached to any number of my acoustic instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by James Vwaal View Post
    Schertler DYN-M stuck to top with putty below bass side of bridge and then run into an XVive 48V phantom power box zip tied to my mic stand. After that, you treat it like a vocal input into your amplifier or PA, using an XLR cable. As a contact mic it sounds great and doesn't have that piezo quack. Have had many compliments on my sound.

https://xvive.com/audio/product/p1-p...phantom-power/

Benefit is that I put it on the mandolin only when performing and nothing is permanently attached to the top or underside of the sound board.

https://www.schertler.com/en-US/musi...anjo/dyn-m-p48

When I bought the DYN-M, it was around $450 plus $50 for the XVive box, so $500 for a contact mic and phantom power that can be attached to any number of my acoustic instruments.
    James Vwaal: If I'm using a preamp or mixing board with phantom power, would I need the xvive?

JJB's into a Tonedexter.
    Being right is overrated. Doing right is what matters.

Northfield F5S Blacktop
    Pono MND-20H

There is no piezo quack if you use a good preamp, or any preamp for that matter.

LRBaggs radius into ToneDexter. Best natural tone I’ve been able to get so far from a feedback “proof” pickup system.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

Quote Originally Posted by mikerofone View Post
    James Vwaal: If I'm using a preamp or mixing board with phantom power, would I need the xvive?
    No phantom is supplied by the board and you don't need the xvive.

DPA 4099. Very natural tone, good feedback rejection if you place it close enough to the instrument. Needs phantom power if running into a mixer, but also works with bias voltage from a wireless body pack transmitter. Might need a slight roll-off on the highs depending on what kind of PA gear you're using and the room acoustics. I've used this series of mics on fiddle and acoustic guitar too with great results.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DPA4099 01.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	206308
    Lebeda F-5 mandolin, redwood top
    Weber Yellowstone F-5 octave mandolin

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Well ..... I always answer this question the same way. A K&K pickup run through an L R Baggs preamp into a Fishman LoudBox Mini. Add an AKG C 1000S mic, stand and the needed cables for a full kit. At times a mic works best depending on the room and the environment. In a small venue the mini is sufficient and when it is not you may use it as a monitor and run a line out to the board. That kit leaves you well covered whatever the gig may need. With an over the shoulder bag you may even carry it in with one trip. A Roland Street Cube may be used instead of the LoudBox if you want a battery driven setup. GEAR !
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

I have three modes of amplification when I play in church, depending on the individual church's setup and who is running the board. I know all three are not super top-end, state of the art, professional quality, but after years of tinkering with different equipment, I can get each to sound pretty good playing my Rigel A+ Deluxe, with its factory piezo and my Mendel OM with a K&K Twin.
    1. Mike right into the board with Shure Beta 57A
    2. Plug into a Red-Eye Twin, using it as both a preamp and direct box into the board
    3. Plug directly into the two channels of a Fishman Loudbox 100 (they don't make 'em anymore) and do my own amplification. I can also slave a Loudbox Mini into the 100 if I need a bit more.

With both the Red-Eye and the Fishman, I have my EQ/tone settings planned in advance and then fine tune as things go on.

Quote Originally Posted by mikerofone View Post
    No.

The reason I use an Xvive is that I am running my signal into a Roland Cube Street EX which does not have phantom power.

There ia no doubt that the dpa mike is the best but its very pricey ... $600 bucks ..-.. Ya kin git the audio technica for less than 1/2 the price ...i have been using it for years and no feedback and sounds great with fabulous tone but ya need a phantom box then run it thru a l.r. Bags venue then thu the p.a. System ...sounds great

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Flynn View Post
    I have three modes of amplification when I play in church, depending on the individual church's setup and who is running the board. I know all three are not super top-end, state of the art, professional quality, but after years of tinkering with different equipment, I can get each to sound pretty good playing my Rigel A+ Deluxe, with its factory piezo and my Mendel OM with a K&K Twin.
    1. Mike right into the board with Shure Beta 57A
    2. Plug into a Red-Eye Twin, using it as both a preamp and direct box into the board
    3. Plug directly into the two channels of a Fishman Loudbox 100 (they don't make 'em anymore) and do my own amplification. I can also slave a Loudbox Mini into the 100 if I need a bit more.

With both the Red-Eye and the Fishman, I have my EQ/tone settings planned in advance and then fine tune as things go on.
    Those older Fishman Loudbox amps are incredible. They were certainly good enough for Levon Helms. I have the Loudbox 100 Pro LBX-400. I had thought once or twice to ditch it for something smaller or battery powered, or both, but just can't do it. My only "wish" is that they had put a pole-hole on the bottom; I don't even mind the power swtich on the back! Otherwise, the ability to control the mix w/DI pre's on both channels and a master post, the multiple fx loops, etc is super robust. The first plate reverb is my fave of the onboard effects.

I'm also going to add in the Boss AD-10 as another incredible piece of gear. I used the Baggs Venue as the "secret sauce" for my Rigel for years. Once I tried the AD-10 there was no going back. While I can easily and nicely go straight into the amp, I find the extras from the AD-10 are compelling. It's absolutely necessary if I am going into a PA.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

K&K duo thru an FDeck -2 pre into a Boss Katana Mk2 100. The new octave will get the same. The Boss allows me to set individual channels for each instrument.

I'm a big fan of K&K pups. Have one on my upright going to a Nocturne pedal into my Mesa or Hartke bass rigs. For the money they're hard to beat.

Works for me.................

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	206351
    Red Diamond July 9 F and a pretty nice Gilchrist F